Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Color patterns developing on 'Hyacinthina'(?)...

don_in_colorado
11 years ago

Hello everyone...I've had this plant for four years now, bought it from a box store long before I even knew what a Hosta was. I divided it in late May; it's been in bright shade, but no direct sunlight as long as I've had it. Anyway within the last week or so, it's gotten some lighter coloration around its leaf margins. I've looked at tons of photos, but really can't find any Hyacinthinas with this type of markings. I was just really curious if any of you much more experienced Hostaheads have ever seen this on Hyacinthinas? The only thing I'm sure of is it isn't dessication. Could it simply be just a fluky pigmentation that happened to develop? I just hope it's nothing bad, but I really have no idea what it is. Thanks for your time, all.

Don B.

Westminster, CO.

Comments (11)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

The leaves look too round to be fortunei Hyacinthina to me. Box stores notoriously have mislabeled hostas. Do you have any photos from earlier in the year, or from previous years? Has it ever flowered? Whatever it is, it looks happy and healthy in the photo.

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, Babka. As soon as I get home I'll snap a pic of one of the divisions I held on to. I don't have any older pics of this one, unfortunately. Thanks a lot!

Don B.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Don, I see some in my gardens with similar changing on margins - the last few weeks have been very dry here and some plants are starting to shut down. I think early spring probably contributed as well - plants are tired.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes indeed, drier than usual here, and so very hot as well. Thank you sir.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

My sieboldiana and an unknown blue do that late every summer. I'm in Texas. Photos below. They look the same today.

bkay
    Sept 2010
    {{gwi:1013912}}

{{gwi:1062771}}

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

I don't see that on any of my greenies, and we always have early Spring here, but we haven't had the heat that the rest of the country got hit with this year. I guess the answer is to just keep watching and take lots of photos so you will discover what is "normal" for your neck of the woods.

-Babka

• User
    11 years ago

Ha. So that is what is going on. I see similar stuff like bronzing on high points of leaves. Not as hot temp wise but humidity wise it has been deadly if not moderated by rain...which we had reliably since spring.

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

It's sunburn. It's not a mutation.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

I don't think it's sunburn. Mine are in almost total shade. They get some dappled light, but that's it. It's certainly not a mutation. It's just late in the season, they've had a hot summer and they're ugly. It's like that every year about that time. It's just the way it is.

Fertilize them with allpurpose fertilizers (at least 6 weeks before your last killing frost). Water them as often as you can. They are storing up their energy for next year. Help them every way you can.

bkay

• User
    11 years ago

BKay, I like your suggestion, "Help them every way you can."
    It reminds me to get out there and water now.

I was also out there drilling more holes in the bottoms and sides of pots. The ones which look pretty bad I figure can use better drainage. We've had a good bit of rain, just not a lot this week.

And, I was adding a bit of cottonseed meal to some potting mix. The meal is 6-1-1 and I figure I'll be using up the remnants of several such supplements this next week or so.
    Lordy, it was cooler for the morning hours today, and I was out there working until lunch. No matter how much I do in the garden, three times as much more is waiting to be done too.

But....I haven't come this far to quit now! Going out there again and HELP them hosta every way I can! :)

HEPP me Rhonda, HEPP HEPP me Rhonda!

(Sorry....I couldn't resist that. ;)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

bkay ...

that fact that the pattern is PRECISELY the shape of a leaf over the leaf below.. [but the petioles have extended since the injury ] .... it has to be some kind of injury to the leaf surface ...

i see this pattern with light frosts in spring..

it could be heat .. the under staying cooler ...

or sunburn...

or a watering issue ....

or a combination of the 3 .. excluding the frost issue ...

hosta are either edged.. or centered ... i cant think of any hosta.. where there is a pattern that runs across both the edge and the center ... but its early morn .. and perhaps i am wrong ... anyone care to set me straight on that????

ken