Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberdim

baby did well

amberdim
9 years ago

This was an unexpected present from Hosta Fever.3 leaf seedling of Fickled blue gene and some unknown hosta's baby... Look at me now....So proud... I'lll keep it in the pot till late September and then plant it in the garden for overwinter... Or it is better to keep it as is till Spring?

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if you have no experience with pots.. then keeping it in the pot... is extremely risky ... its like you want to kill it with too much love ...

same goes for not planting it.. until that late ...

plant it now .. ASAP ... so it can grab hold in the soil [in teh alternative.. the soil can settle properly] ... period.. IMHO ...

its not a baby .. its doesnt need TLC.. again.. you are on the verge of overthinking it all... and that story usually ends is death by love ...

if rocks pop out of your ground due to winter.. a good blanket of mulch.. in november.. will help keep it secured in your soil ...

i have killed more things.. trying to outwit mother nature.. rather than shoving them in the ground.. and letting ma nature.. do.. what she does best.. and me ignoring them .... but for proper water ... [and do make sure.. it doesnt go dry in late nov or so ...]

ken

ps: a cat is just a food bowl with a tail ... lol

pps: i would not try to LEARN pot growing with this sublime seedling ...

• amberdim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Ken. It will go in the ground this Sunday...

9 years ago

i feel.. that its odds of success.. just went to 99% ...

i can sleep peacefully now.. lol ...

you can increase the odds... by removing all POTTING MEDIA ... throwing it around the yard.. and cursing its very life ... may as well teach it just who is in charge here.. lol

ken

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 12:10

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

As usual, Ken's right. It belongs in the ground.

I just want to say that I really like your seedling. It's got very nice streaking and good color. The official parentage of it would be Fickle Blue Genes x OP. Fickle Blue Genes is an excellent breeder. It is from William Lachman x Hypoleuca and usually produces nice blue color in its seedlings. If you want to know the potential of your seedling you should try selfing it. That is to say using its own pollen on itself, and growing those seeds. The resulting seedlings from a selfed cross will let you know what traits your seedling can pass on to its progeny.

Happy growing.

Steve

• amberdim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Steve. I sure hope it survives so I can do it....

9 years ago

As usual, Ken's right.

==>>> yeah.. if only he didnt sound so cranky about it ... sorry if it came across as such

no comment on the cat bowl??? ... anyone???

ken

• amberdim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I speak "cranky"... no worries here...
    I have 2 of those" bowls"...1 is new from shelter we got 2 weeks ago so she is really trying to eat everything she sees. Another one thinks she is some royalty and behaves as such... love them both

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Ken, I think I will thank you for convincing me to plant mine in the ground next spring when they are alive.

But I don't necessarily agree with your analogy with the cat. I think it should be more like a litter box with four feet. You don't need to own one to appreciate the treasures they deposit in your garden.

SCG

• amberdim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As promised ... found a perfect spot for this little guy... so Ken can sleep better now...

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

My cat is a ^%&$#! vole-and-rabbit-killing machine! Not all cats are useless. Your mileage may vary. : )

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Don, since we got cats again our mice and vole population has gone down considerably. When our old cat died I was without cats for a few months and mice stripped all the bark off of the Junipers going down the driveway and killed half of the growth.. Guess I can stand them bringing the odd one through the kitty door and into the house. The daschunds take care of those and quickly too! They have caught their weight andbring two or three a night and these are the ones we find. I do wear garden gloves just incase when I am in the hosta beds though. Besides the mice they are love the attention and give the same love back

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL Nice Faye, you have extermination AND disposal service! : )

Don B.