Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berndnyz5

How is h.'Earth Angel' doing in your garden?

in ny zone5
10 years ago

Hosta 'Earth Angel' looks so beautiful on pictures, was Hosta of the Year, I want to have a big beauty like that!
But my 3 in my yard, one doubled up, are not doing anything except loose leaves. I just bought a 4th, a pot with several eyes at half price, planted it in a nice hole with leaf compost, hoping for the best. Mine grow in partial shade.

Does any of you have grown large clumps, and how do you grow them?
Bernd

Comments (24)

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

Last year

This year

Potted it up cuz it obviously needs babying

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

This is my Early Angel taken in late May, planted as a 2-eye plant last fall (clearance sale). It doubled the size since last fall. I have it in a deep shade with very minimum sun exposure. It is right next to the vent connected to the drier so lot of mistreatment from the hot vent every week. This is one hosta that is mostly neglected by me (not in a location with other hostas). But it is doing really well. The color varigation is a lot more distinct now than when this picture was taken. And some new leaves have emerged throughout the summer. I definitely want to stop for a moment and admire it when I hapen to walk by.
    Slugs seem to like it too but Sluggo seem to work well. now it is under control.

• dougald_gw
    10 years ago

Not a big clump ... but my Earth Angel has grown well.

I too have it in full shade and it gets about 1.5 inches of water per week. Some loose pine needles seem to keep slugs away. It is troublefree cross my fingers ...

• Eleven
    10 years ago

No large clump for me yet, but mine is pretty carefree for a second year plant.

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

Mine is also second year. Decent increase from year one. Mine is in full shade.

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

I have five that are all new this year. All of them seem to be doing good. The smaller ones seem to be putting on a lot of new leaves, getting ready for a major jump next season, I hope.

Plant 1 gets afternoon sun

Plants 2 & 3 get only morning sun

Plants 4 & 5 get some mid day sun and a little late afternoon sun.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Mine gets a little bit of afternoon sun, but is in dappled shade otherwise. Third year. A bit slow but progressing nicely.

Steve

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Planted this guy last summer - looks pretty happy now.
    Jan

• Lee
    10 years ago

I have a pretty good size clump.... And its getting a couple hours of midday sun.
    Earlier this year,

And last year.

• nutmeg4061
    10 years ago

My tiny start, with maybe an hour of dappled sun in the morning, didn't do much the second year. The third year I went to check it after it had leafed out. Three of the largest hosta leaves I've ever seen in my yard greeted me. Clearly bigger than dinner plates. Hated to, but I moved it to more sun. Year 4 it has many more leaves, but they're much smaller again.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

This year EA looks terrible. It's bigger than ever, but all ratty edges. I'm hoping it was the 100 degree May day followed a day later by freezing, although it didn't affect the hostas beside it. It is at the end of the row and does get the most direct sun, so fingers crossed.

The picture is from 2012, when it was a thing of beauty. It gets a fair amount of sun, and grows like a weed. To give you scale, the blocks behind it are a foot wide.

• Wendys_garden
    10 years ago

Mine is 4 years old. I think it's doing pretty good considering it's directly under a maple tree & surrounded by concrete.

Wendy

• User
    10 years ago

Wow, Wendy, both those guys in that bed are HUGE. And I really like Earth Angel the more I look at it.

One thing, though. I'll have to move it away from Seducer because it is too similar, and I cannot tell them apart unless I look for the tags or now Seducer's seedpods.

Today I took new pictures of the garden, and made sure I included EA in them. It is a tall plant, just received it this season. I guess it is flopping a bit with its big leaves and tall stems, because the tape came off a while back. It is pretty tall.

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW, there are really good looking h. 'Earth Angel's in your gardens. So it must be the spots I placed them in and/or I simply have to wait a few more years. They are certainly a keeper. Thanks for showing! Bernd

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Mine is a slow grower. However it only gets about an hour of early morning sun. (I tried to show growth progression in one post but access to photobucket denied re "Trojan")

Purchased 2010

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Earth Angel 2011

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Earth Angel 2012

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Earth Angel 2013

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

planted 1996 fairly heavy shade

• Wendys_garden
    10 years ago

Moccasin, here's a view going the other direction - my Sum & Substance is also 4 years old. Both Earth Angel & S&S are holding their own under the maple.

Wendy

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

several other earth angels posted here have been whispering to mine, "psssst, see if you give us our own spot we can get bigger, tell hillbilly to find us a bed of our own".

• User
    10 years ago

Wendy, my S&S is now back in the ground, and I cannot wait to see what happens next spring. It came to me in my first ever hosta order from PDN in NC back in May 2010. So, perhaps it will leap like yours next year. Fingers crossed, that spending time in a pot ( from Sept 2011 to August 2013) did not set him back that much.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Earth Angel has grown well here. One of my favorite hosta. It would do a lot better if it weren't clipped and stomped by the clumsy gardener (me). I must enlarge the bed to give her some room.

Below at four years:

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Well, I just got mine in the spring. It was doing terribly where I sited it; Dropping leaves and looking like it was dying. I've moved it twice since then, and starting about 6 weeks ago, it's done a 180 and is standing up straighter and producing new leaves. Looks very promising.

I'm hopeful it'll come up next spring still happy in it's current spot.

Don't give up Bernd; You obviously are a good grower of hostas, and know what you're doing. You know how they are at times. I bet you'll have at least 1 or 2 happy, thriving 'Earth Angel' plants next spring.

Cheers,
    Don B.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths