Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How is h.'Earth Angel' doing in your garden?

Posted by berndnyz5 zone 5 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 9:37

Hosta 'Earth Angel' looks so beautiful on pictures, was Hosta of the Year, I want to have a big beauty like that!
But my 3 in my yard, one doubled up, are not doing anything except loose leaves. I just bought a 4th, a pot with several eyes at half price, planted it in a nice hole with leaf compost, hoping for the best. Mine grow in partial shade.

Does any of you have grown large clumps, and how do you grow them?
Bernd

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How is h.'Earth Angel' doing in your garden?

Last year
Earth Angel photo EarthAngel.jpg

This year
Earth Angel photo DSCF9298.jpg

Potted it up cuz it obviously needs babying

o

This is my Early Angel taken in late May, planted as a 2-eye plant last fall (clearance sale). It doubled the size since last fall. I have it in a deep shade with very minimum sun exposure. It is right next to the vent connected to the drier so lot of mistreatment from the hot vent every week. This is one hosta that is mostly neglected by me (not in a location with other hostas). But it is doing really well. The color varigation is a lot more distinct now than when this picture was taken. And some new leaves have emerged throughout the summer. I definitely want to stop for a moment and admire it when I hapen to walk by.
Slugs seem to like it too but Sluggo seem to work well. now it is under control.
Earth Angel May 2013 photo IMG_2675_zps65f0e104.jpg

o

Not a big clump ... but my Earth Angel has grown well.

I too have it in full shade and it gets about 1.5 inches of water per week. Some loose pine needles seem to keep slugs away. It is troublefree cross my fingers ...

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 13:55

No large clump for me yet, but mine is pretty carefree for a second year plant.

o

Mine is also second year. Decent increase from year one. Mine is in full shade.

o

I have five that are all new this year. All of them seem to be doing good. The smaller ones seem to be putting on a lot of new leaves, getting ready for a major jump next season, I hope.

Plant 1 gets afternoon sun
Earth Angel 1 photo EarthAngel191813_zps21e869a8.jpg

Plants 2 & 3 get only morning sun
Earth Angel 2 & 3 photo EarthAngel291813_zpsbe96965e.jpg

Plants 4 & 5 get some mid day sun and a little late afternoon sun.
Earth Angel 4 & 5 photo EarthAngel391813_zps233953a7.jpg

o

Mine gets a little bit of afternoon sun, but is in dappled shade otherwise. Third year. A bit slow but progressing nicely.

Steve

o

Planted this guy last summer - looks pretty happy now.
Jan

Earth Angel photo hostas-cottage2013006_zps2aa29a12.jpg

o

I have a pretty good size clump.... And its getting a couple hours of midday sun.
Earlier this year,
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And last year.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

My tiny start, with maybe an hour of dappled sun in the morning, didn't do much the second year. The third year I went to check it after it had leafed out. Three of the largest hosta leaves I've ever seen in my yard greeted me. Clearly bigger than dinner plates. Hated to, but I moved it to more sun. Year 4 it has many more leaves, but they're much smaller again.

o

This year EA looks terrible. It's bigger than ever, but all ratty edges. I'm hoping it was the 100 degree May day followed a day later by freezing, although it didn't affect the hostas beside it. It is at the end of the row and does get the most direct sun, so fingers crossed.

The picture is from 2012, when it was a thing of beauty. It gets a fair amount of sun, and grows like a weed. To give you scale, the blocks behind it are a foot wide.

o

Mine is 4 years old. I think it's doing pretty good considering it's directly under a maple tree & surrounded by concrete.

Wendy

o

Wow, Wendy, both those guys in that bed are HUGE. And I really like Earth Angel the more I look at it.

One thing, though. I'll have to move it away from Seducer because it is too similar, and I cannot tell them apart unless I look for the tags or now Seducer's seedpods.

Today I took new pictures of the garden, and made sure I included EA in them. It is a tall plant, just received it this season. I guess it is flopping a bit with its big leaves and tall stems, because the tape came off a while back. It is pretty tall.

o

WOW, there are really good looking h. 'Earth Angel's in your gardens. So it must be the spots I placed them in and/or I simply have to wait a few more years. They are certainly a keeper. Thanks for showing! Bernd

o

Mine is a slow grower. However it only gets about an hour of early morning sun. (I tried to show growth progression in one post but access to photobucket denied re "Trojan")

Purchased 2010

o

Earth Angel 2011

o

Earth Angel 2012

o

Earth Angel 2013

o

planted 1996 fairly heavy shade

o

Moccasin, here's a view going the other direction - my Sum & Substance is also 4 years old. Both Earth Angel & S&S are holding their own under the maple.

Wendy

o

several other earth angels posted here have been whispering to mine, "psssst, see if you give us our own spot we can get bigger, tell hillbilly to find us a bed of our own".

o

Wendy, my S&S is now back in the ground, and I cannot wait to see what happens next spring. It came to me in my first ever hosta order from PDN in NC back in May 2010. So, perhaps it will leap like yours next year. Fingers crossed, that spending time in a pot ( from Sept 2011 to August 2013) did not set him back that much.

o

Earth Angel has grown well here. One of my favorite hosta. It would do a lot better if it weren't clipped and stomped by the clumsy gardener (me). I must enlarge the bed to give her some room.

Below at four years:

Earth Angel photo DSC_0014-3.jpg

o

Well, I just got mine in the spring. It was doing terribly where I sited it; Dropping leaves and looking like it was dying. I've moved it twice since then, and starting about 6 weeks ago, it's done a 180 and is standing up straighter and producing new leaves. Looks very promising.

I'm hopeful it'll come up next spring still happy in it's current spot.

Don't give up Bernd; You obviously are a good grower of hostas, and know what you're doing. You know how they are at times. I bet you'll have at least 1 or 2 happy, thriving 'Earth Angel' plants next spring.

Cheers,
Don B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here