Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikgag4

Extra large yellows

So I need 2 or 3 more extra large yellows.

So far I have:

Diva
Key West
Daybreak
Gold Regal
Piedmont Gold
Rosedale Golden Goose
Stardust
Great Lakes Gold
Sun Power
Paradise Power
Rascal
Choo Choo Train
Krugerrand
Fried Bananas

These are my choices...

Blonde Impressions
Chesterland Gold
Centerfold
Abiqua Recluse
High Noon
Hariette Ward
Midnight Sun
Something Else
Solar Flare

Not really keen on Sum & Substance...and could easily pick up August Moon or Zounds, but I don't think they're large enough for what I need.

Mostly interested on comments re: growth rate and sun tolerance

Thanks

Comments (16)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

something else is not EXTRA large

nor is solar flare

midnight sun is spectacular

ken

• User
    10 years ago

Would you be interested in a large gold/yellow with a narrow green margin?

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope.....solid yellow. I've narrowed it down to the ones above, just wondering how they grow from those that have them.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Second vote for 'Midnight Sun'. I don't have one, but my neighbor does. Big big leaves, GREAT color that holds. It's still a beautiful yellow in his backyard.

Don B.

EDIT: P.S.: My neighbor grows it in direct sun from early morning til about 1 P.M., with generous watering. Does well without scorching.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 18:08

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Here are three 'Sum and Substance' in sun in a public park in Germany last week. Bernd

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

I'm going to disagree with Ken on Solar Flare. It is listed as XL on the database and the one I saw in Matt Sanford's garden in CT was certainly extra large. Here's a picture.

Solar Flare

He also had several other XL sized golds.

Templar Gold

High Noon

I bought Solar Flare and Midnight Sun recently and like both of them. I'm searching for High Noon, but haven't found one yet.

Steve

• jennaj_z4mn
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of my Sutters Mill this spring--it is a fast grower and everyone comments on it--its a standout!!!

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I really like how much High Noon grew in it's second season

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Also like my Abique Recluse

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

My August moon has grown very large but not sure if is classed as a giant but is suppose to be 24 x36 and this too is in the second year and stays very nice. I have none of the others on your like list

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

I love Harriette Ward. She is very slug resistant, has a nice form, and stands out in the garden. I've been interplanting a hosta garden recently with yellow hosta, and she stands out in the bunch. Very classy pale yellow without a hint of brassiness.

• User
    10 years ago

Mikjag, would you please repost after you grow these for a while? I'm very fond of the yellows/golds, especially the mediums, but am willing to approach the large ones too.

I have two not on your list, Johnny Angel, and Madam. Just adding the names here for those who might in the future read this thread and want other options to check out. S&S is among my oldest or most mature plants, obtained in 2010. So none I have are mature and I won't give images in this thread. However, if you want one which is a contorted crinkly leaf, take a look at Tiajuana Brass. As young as my plant is, it is rugose to the extreme.

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure......I finally decided to get 6 of them on my list above. I'll just find spots for the extra three. I need to dig up more lawn anyways. ha

I've got lots of other yellows too, just smaller.Love the yellows.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hey, 6 of 9; That's pretty good hostaholism! Hope they all do well; I love the golds/yellows as well.

Did you go with 'Midnight Sun'?

Cheers!
    Don B.

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yup

Blonde Impressions
    Centerfold
    High Noon
    Hariette Ward
    Midnight Sun
    Solar Flare

• esox48
    10 years ago

I like Hign Noon a lot as it really stands out as a gold hosta. An eye-catcher up my hillside. It's also a parent of a lot of other great ones, including Midnight Sun, Sutter's Mill, Kruggerand and Key West. So there are hybridizing possibilities.

I also like Solar Flare, not as bright as High Noon, but likely will end up larger. Mine has immense leaves, so I expect it to get pretty big. The Hostapedia gives a maximum size as 40 inches high and 120 inches wide. If Ken doesn't think that is extra large, I'd like to visit his garden.

The Hostapedia describes Solar Flare as a "magnificent, mammoth-sized plant that can be the focal point of any shaded landscape."