Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Seeking Hosta Monument Circle or Tom's Dream - In Memory

ademink
17 years ago

I run a nonprofit for the homeless and have been an outreach worker for many years. My interest in working with the homeless was divinely piqued with a man named Tom that I met almost 12 years ago on Monument Circle in Indianapolis. He and I became fast friends and had lunch together every weekday. Tom had severe mental illness and so was unable to "keep it together" enough to function in every day life as we know it. He was precious to me in words that I cannot describe - truly like a gift from Heaven.

In the last 6-7 years, Tom developed cancer on his face that became very severe. Because of his fear of many things, he would not seek treatment. He eventually wore a painters mask all of the time to hide it and became a very "famous" face in Indianapolis.

My sweet friend passed away at the end of August, just 6 days before his 61st birthday. I miss him beyond words but am glad that he finally is at peace.

My interaction with Tom was the catalyst in moving me toward starting the nonprofit and working in the field that I do today. Regular outreach times are held two nights a week on the Circle - the same place I met him. :)

In his memory, I would like to plant 'Monument Circle' hosta. If I can't find that one then I'd like to find 'Tom's Dream' but MC is the one I really am looking for.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for reading and thanks for sharing a moment with me to honor my precious friend.

Andrea

Comments (18)

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

Tony Avent of Plant Delights used to sell Monument Circle. I don't see it offered in his online catalog. Perhaps you could contact him and he would have some for sale at his nursery/gardens.

Teresa

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Awesome, I'll try there now Teresa

• lavendargrrl
    17 years ago

Andrea -

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I am going to Plant Delights probably this weekend (but maybe not until next weekend) for their open house.

If you get in touch with them quickly and find out they do have it, you could pay them for the hosta and I would be more than happy to pick it up for you while I'm there. That will save you a fortune on shipping because they charge a lot for shipping.

Let me know. You can e-mail me offline.

~Angie

• Janice
    17 years ago

Andrea, your story and your friend have greatly moved me! I understand your grief, and I pray, that the hostas, you are looking for will be found!

How nice of you, Angie, to be so willing to offer help in this endeavor. I know you will be blessed for it!!

It is amazing how we are often meant to be "directed", by the people placed in out paths! I wonder how much we miss by not taking the time to consider their value in "the plan" and "whole scheme of things" in our lives!

Everyone is important, everyone has "purpose" and the intention of the "journey" is to realize that, and why and therefore, respond to the call to the only real "significance" to our being here! There is a "plan" for us all--take it in, and realize the "gift", or leave it, and go away empty! Obviously, Andrea "took it in" and has been able to see the significance of one, whom others may have completely overlooked and even "avoided"!

I know you are blessed, Andrea!

Janice

• Janice
    17 years ago

How about "Mount Tom"?

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

If for you can't find Monument Circle, Tom's Dream is available from Jim's Hostas. It would be well worth the price to honor such a person in your life.

• anitamo
    17 years ago

Andrea, my condolences on the passing of your friend. I hope you find the hosta you're looking for.

hey j, I like what you had to say...so true, so true.

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Andrea, life is so fragile. I'm sorry for your loss. Hostas make wonderful monuments for those we hold dear in our heart. I know which ever you find, it will be a loving tribute to your friend Tom, may he rest in peace. And may God comfort you.

Janice, I agree with you, very well said.

Donna

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much everyone. Janice, you are right on and said it so eloquently! In the end, it is ME who has been blessed over these years. Many people comment on what I did for Tom over the years but he (and God through him) gave far more to me than he ever received, I think. :)

Angie, you are a doll to make such a generous offer - thank you, thank you! I emailed PDN and the CS manager emailed me back. She said she searched every resource that she could think of and came up empty (how nice was that that she made such an effort!!!????). She suggested I post on the Dave's Garden forum to see if someone would part w/ a division of it or if maybe a "mom and pop" nursery might have one.

I think I'll try Dave's and may also post on Hallson's forum - don't know why I didn't think of that. :)

I'll keep everyone posted! In the meantime, going to check out my second pick w/ Tom's Dream - thanks Jen!

HEY WAIT....(sorry, externally processing this now)...the guy who hybridized this baby lives here in Indy!!!!! I would think he'd have a bazillion of these or know where I could get one, eh? I don't know how he would feel about a random person calling him or writing him... LOL...but maybe it would work!

Ok, off to hunt some more. :)

• goldedger
    17 years ago

What a lovely and fitting tribute to a special friend.
    Thank you Andrea, for sharing your heart touching story with us. I too am sorry for your loss. Good luck with the hosta hunt.

June

• Joyce
    17 years ago

I am so sorry Andrea!

Hey, I have lots of wholesale landscape accounts, I'll try to find those hostas for you.
    I have a special place in my heart for those who with cancer...
    And especially those who have died of cancer. :(
    ...Joyce

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

joyce - welcome! Don't think I've ever seen a post from you. Andrea found one of the two hostas today - Monument Circle. But don't let that keep you from joining in more often.

Teresa

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I still receive some really nice emails regarding this thread so I wanted to just give a quick update on the "Tom Story". I've had several chances to talk with Tom's sister and it has been great to have a link to his past while she has a link to his more recent years. She is a lovely lady and loved Tom very much, which is of great consolation to me!

There was a Homeless Memorial Service on the 21st of December and I was able to hold a candle to honor Tom in this service.

I will start his Memorial Garden in the Spring! So far, I'm planning for:

Monument Circle
    Tom's Dream
    Hot Diggity Dog

Someone also donated a duplex to The PourHouse and it should be finished by the end of January (we'll have mentor-based housing for homeless men). It'll be named after Tom!

Many thanks to everyone for how you helped me honor my friend and for your continued thoughts! :)

Andrea

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago

did i take care of MC ... or do i owe you on a promise?

ken

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You owe. :) You told me to remind you in the Spring!

• ademink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rest in peace, Tom. I was truly blessed to know you.

(Thanks a million Ken, I won't forget your kindness.)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

you are welcome ... RIP ....

ken

• puckhog
    16 years ago

well that was a heartwarming thread to read

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus