Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhostaaddict

Finally Bought Some Milorganite......When to Apply???

newhostaaddict
15 years ago

i suppose it is too late this year...

jill...

Comments (12)

• peggy_hosta
    15 years ago

Typically, we don't fertilize H. after mid-August. Need to wait till spring
    Peggy

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

Apply anytime, you are feeding the soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic matter

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

whats the magic numbers.. something like 6-8-3 ...

who cares ...

i wouldnt apply it to the crowns .... perhaps at the drip edge of the canopy ... and i would not do the minis ... save some for late spring for those ....

i agree its a bit late .... but you have something like 3 months until ground freeze .. and what.. 2 months before the frost knocks them down ... in a normal year.. if there is such a thing ...

the bottom line... we want them getting ready for a sleep ... just like i dont give the kids a giant pepsi near bed.. you shouldnt be giving them something like 29-0-0 ... and getting them rip roaring growing.. when its nap time ... soft lush growth.. especially a soft crown growing.. will rot....

a little this.. a little that.. who cares.. heck.. throw them on the XXXXXXXX ....

just dont dump a whole bag of carp on top of them ..

ken

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

Milorganite has .5 percent water soluble nitrogen, 2 percent phosphate and no potassium. You couldn't jump start anything with it.

4.5 percent nitrogen tied up in the carrier that will be released over a period a year or two when it is cycled by the soil organisms.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

well there you go .. apply at will ...

all the above ... that i said .... applies to FERTILIZERS .... and as butch said..

its a soil amendment.. not a fertilizer ....

ken

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

"its a soil amendment.. not a fertilizer ...."
    ken

Right, the real advantage to Milorganite is the long term value and they need to mention the fertilizer to sell it to people who just don't know. It also has a nice calcium charge that my have more value than the nitrogen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calcium

• greenthumbz4mn
    15 years ago

I'm curious to know if the iron in Milorganite is also a good benefit for Hosta. And would the iron deter slugs in any way? Mary

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

And would the iron deter slugs in any way?"
    Mary

There isn't enough iron to affect anything.

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

So is this a good product or not?
    Use it or not?You guys need to be more clear.
    Carol

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

I repeat!

"Right, the real advantage to Milorganite is the long term value and they need to mention the fertilizer to sell it to people who just don't know. It also has a nice calcium charge that my have more value than the nitrogen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calcium"

I in fact use straight sewage slug.

• dbowemd
    15 years ago

Milorganite is good for hostas, and it smells bad to deer before it does to humans. Use it now to try to train deer to stay away from your property; they tend to follow a consistent run every night. I spread it with a hand cranked spinning type of broadcast fertilizer, and if I think of it when I plant new ones, I will put some in the hole. It's mild and doesn't burn them.

Dave

• maryann_____chgo
    15 years ago

Milorganite is an excellent rabbit repellent too. I spread it several times each season around the perimeters of my yard and on the lawn. It adds to the organic diversity of soil amendments. Like Dave, I use my Whirlybird hand spreader.

The granules have left tiny spots on hosta leaves so avoid broadcasting over the garden mid-season.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio