Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bungalowmonkeys

The new addition that you wish was a different hosta?

BungalowMonkeys
9 years ago

After having to throw away three Paul's Glory infected with HVX, I grabbed this one from a good source to add to the collection. Probably going to get a lot of flak for this, but I'm not a fan. Maybe next year it will grow on me, but this year I could have gone without it. In it's place I should have ordered Blueberry Muffins. It was on sale when I placed the order for PG.

What is the one hosta you added this year, that you could have waited on? And what do you wish you had grabbed in it's place?

This post was edited by bungalowmonkeys on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 11:11

Comments (30)

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Ye of little faith young bunga. Give that little guy some time and you'll change your tune. Not looking it's best but here's mine.

• User
    9 years ago

Mine is in its 3d growing season here, and finally it is living up to the "Glory" part of its name. It sure is pretty. I'll have to take a picture before I turn on the sprinklers, and show you the way it looks today.

This picture shows PG with Luna Moth this spring

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Love your Luna Moth, moccasin. Mine is young and I look forward to seeing it mature.

I find that Pauls Glory prefers a good amount of sun. Mine is in the sun from 1:00 and on. It sure brightens the yellow.

I'm sure others here have pics of better examples than mine. Mine is only in it's second year.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I wish I had gotten Fried Green Tomatoes instead of Avocado. I thought Avocado was the solid one.

I love my Paul's Glory. It's gotten to be one of my favorites. I found a two/three gallon pot last year (nursery sizes are confusing). It's been beautiful both years. I love the soft green it is in the spring. Then it gets golden in the summer. It's been really abused by the sunshine this summer, but it just started to burn in August. That's amazing for anything in Texas afternoon sun.

Give it time.

bk

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

I love the pics of 'Paul's Glory' as I am not the hugest fan of white or gold....but love green on green and blues.

Hope mine looks that good at some point.....spectacular bkay2000

SCG

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very nice pics. Suppose some patience makes sense. If it starts to resemble any of those three I'll be very happy. And will probably move it to a more prime spot.

Grabbed a Fried Green Tomatoes in July and think it may have been labeled wrong. Its more apple green than deep green.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yeah, PG gets pretty nice, in my opinion.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

The same plant after I first got it in 2012.

Don B.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Didn't the Beatles sing about this?

Hey, Bungalow M...
    Don't berate him,
    Bungalow M.

PG on the left, Gold Standard on the right.

tj

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Ah, my favorite pic, TJ (Well, one of my favorites) : )

Here is PG with Dick Ward. PG on the right. Hopefully they'll become long-time buddies like your plants.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

I don't particularly regret it, but I wish I had remembered...twice...that I already had Dream Queen planted in one of my garden beds. So that's twice I saw it and thought "pretty, I'll get that" to get home and remember I already had it.
    So I have 3 DQs. They're pretty but not my favorite by a long stretch, so it's funny that happened to me twice.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I wish my Made You Look was an Iris Frazier instead! I picked up MYL last year and am disappointed with it this year. It was the last to appear this spring and has absolutely no appearance, not a speck of a hint even, of what it is supposed to look like.

It's the first time I have experienced such a disappointment in a hosta that I can recall. Even my Guacamole, which did not recover its glorious looks this season, looks beautiful in comparison to MYL.

Can anyone convince me I have not made a mistake choosing Made You Look?

Jo

9 years ago

I'm sorry, I forgot to include a pic of Made You Look. Here it is.

9 years ago

Here is my PG when I bought it from my main hosta supplier on June 20th.

9 years ago

Here it is today. The green centre on a few leaves...is this a transition thing for this hosta? The veins are all clear, no bleeding but the green is a bit odd to me. Looks like a vigorous grower though.

I needed to add it as I'm collecting all Hosta Of The Year hostas and 'Paul's Glory' is the 1999 HOTY. :-)

Jo

• User
    9 years ago

Bunga, your Fried Green Tomatos looks good to me. If the plantaginea family gets sun a lot, it is a brighter green, not a darker green. I'll show you two pictures, first of FGT in spring with a lot of light

and then a big group of fragrant greenies which get a bunch of afternoon sun, and are fairly lighter brighter green, almost golden.

Here is Cerveza in July. Is this what you call "apple green?"

Many fragrant ones showing here. Not so much a dark green, do you think? But when they get shaded, they are darker.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Jo, that Paul's Glory doesn't look right. Can you post a close-up of the leaf?

bk

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Jo, Here's my Made You Look after dividing it to make room for my Andrew which I will not touch as long as it is doing as well as it is.

9 years ago

Thank you, BKay, I'll take close up tomorrow...got home too late to take additional pic.

Gary, your MYL is sooo lovely...maybe next year for mine...I'll plant it tomorrow. :-)

Jo

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

It needs some sun, preferably morning, and it doesn't color up until later in the season. (Its funny, I can grow Andrew, White Christmas, My Child Insook, Royal Tiara and a host of other "difficult" ones, but my Paul's Glory just sits there slowly putting on size and looking pitiful. Go figure!

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tsuga- that is a great combo there. Love the color the pauls glory is. How old is it?

Josephine just googled pics of that hosta and its a beauty when mature. Here is the pic I found.

Mocc - very close to that apple green. FGT is currently in a shady spot and now will be moving it next year to a sunny spot. Your garden looks great. I tried to count how many hostas I could see in that one pic, but my little nerds kept distracting me.

9 years ago

Thanks, Bungalow! :-). That is the reason I bought it...the gorgeous soft colours combined with those rugose leaves just sends me! Here's to a great spring, right?

9 years ago

Bkay, here is a close-up as you requested. Thanks for looking!

Jo

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Josephine, I may be no expert but does this not have the virus. I had a Paul's glory and it was a real beauty but thank goodness I kept it in a pot because it had the virus and looked like that. Confirmed and threw out pot and all. Bkay is what you were thinking too?
    Faye

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Jo: I'm with Bkay, we need a close up of a few of those leaves. The outer leaves at 6, 9, & 11 o'clock. Hope it is nothing.

Barb

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Jo, you are right, the veins are clear, it is just the light part greening up. Mine is doing exactly the same thing. And I think it is okay but it does look weird so who knows?

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

From a distance, it looked like bleeding veins. It looks normal to me, too.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

bk

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Bungalow- Thanks. The PG & Gold Standard have been there since the late 90's or so. They both have had several divisions cut out of them over the years.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread about old friends

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I too was afraid those marks were on your PG's veins, Jo. But thanks to the close-up, looks OK, maybe the plant is just stressed a bit, or it's just messin' with ya to pay more attention to it (Look at me Jo, look at ME!!) ; )

Cheers,
    Don B.

P.S. Don't regret buying 'Made You Look' yet, just let it grow a season or two, that is gonna be a great hosta! Just a year or two away from greatness, IMO!

9 years ago

No inconvenience at all, BKay! :-). I was happy to do it and So glad this is normal for PG. Getting a new hosta is like having a first child...you never know what's "normal" until you've experienced more, right?

Bkay, Faye, Barb and Don, thank you for your input! it sure helps when your hosta buddies are right there to relieve any apprehension. I keep humming in my mind...as I look upon some of my newbies this year..."getting to know you, getting to know all about you"....

Don, MYL is just vying for my attention, you think? So next year, when it emerges and bowls me over, that I will ignore the others? Lol. Sibling rivalry in hostas...I was paying too much attention to Guacamole, that's it!

TJ, love that linked thread with those great pics! I am glad I finally got Paul's Glory. Sure adds a bit more 'glory' to my garden.

Next year, Bungalow et al, we will have to revisit this thread and compare our progress on PG.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths