Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Last date to plant hosta? Zone 5-6.

Posted by sue36 Z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 10:58

Does anyone have a guideline on the last safe date to plant hosta? I have several that still need to go in the ground and it's not an easy exercise because I have voles (so I need to get large pots, line the bottoms with landscape fabric, etc.), plus I really need to move a bunch of things in that garden around. We haven't had a frost yet. I'm in southern Maine, on the coast, so on the border of zone 5 and 6. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Last date to plant hosta? Zone 5-6.

as late as you want...

IMHO .. the only issue is heave ... protect them from forcing their way back up in winter.. and you will be all set ...

I WOULD .... save some bags of leaves ... and after the ground freezes ... put a bag over each one.. and take them off in late winter... you should be all set ...

though i dont know if this is approved with voles in the area ...

ken

o

• Posted by hey_j 6 Dayton Oh. (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 11:53

I also place bricks or good-sized rocks around the perimeter of the planting,
not on the eye area but the root-spread or root-ball area, as it were! :>)

I've planted as late as mid to late October in zone 5/6--we're almost on the line of that
zone determination!

o

Yeah! Thanks! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I've got a bunch of projects that have to be done in the next two weeks, so I can push that off until after that.

o

I once planted a couple hostas on Nov.18th here in zone 6. I've read that you can plant as long as the ground is still workable. We don't get frost heave here,but for you that might be a different story! BTW,those 2 hostas are still alive,and this was several years ago! Phil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here