Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olive51

Gazillions of slugs!

olive51
10 years ago

I'm posting here as I believe slugs really love hostas.

I was outside around midnight and saw DOZENS of slugs on my concrete patio--eewwww! They seemed to be mainly gathered on the patio around my 5 ft. tall, potted meyer lemon trees (some crawling up the pot) and even more so, around a small rock garden of thyme, veronica, basil, parsley, rosemary, lavender etc.

I've just started using sluggo as well as beer in shallow pans. My question is: Does anyone know what herbs (and other plants) slugs particularly favor? This would help me in planning next year's garden--perhaps planting herbs in pots located on tables rather than in the ground....I know they like hostas but I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of other preferred plants.

Or maybe I'm being hopeful that they even have a preference, maybe they eat anything that doesn't eat them first :-(

I don't mind a few slugs munching on plants around the perimeter, but spending time in the evening on the patio with DOZENS of them all over the concrete it a bit much.

This begs another question: why are they out on the concrete and not on the plants? Are they just between meal courses?

Comments (10)

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I have been seeing the giant slugs this years but mainly in my front bed with what use to be petunia and peonies. They munched all the large plants off and I found them laying in heaps all over the area. So far I may have found and destroyed about 15 of these ugly large thing but the one I found this AM had to be the granddaddy of them all . At least 6 inches long. I speared and threw it on the driveway it but now I worry and may have to move my smoke bush befor they strip it off too. Do they eat roots too?
    I used beer but just half buried the can in the soil and set it on an angle. I got about 4 in one can but not sure how much beer they drink and my husband hates to share. Salt would work to destroy on the patio but after applying make sure to wash it or it will eat the concrete. Some one said if you use sugar and yeast with water in a dish or can, it works too and worth a try .
    Hoping lots post on this subject before they find their way behind the house and eat my hosta. I have little ones there but not sure if they are the same kind or just babies. Those are white and the large ones are brownish colored

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Salt would work to destroy on the patio

==>>>salt destroys things up here in the great white north..

go to the dollar store.. and buy a knife.. and simple cut them in half ... as far as i know.. they are not worms...

BTW.. one slug is both mom and dad... hows that for weirding you out ...lol

up near the top.. look for the FAQ link.. and find the one on using vinegar/ammonia... or use the GW search engine ...

i will say it again.. you will not eradicate slugs in your garden... thru planting other things... it is a dream we have all had.. but it is NOT reality ....

ken

• User
    10 years ago

I was reading something from the UK about how she places the slug pellets. The writer, a woman, says she uses a mango chutney bottle (because it is shaped correctly for this), and places her slug pellets inside it, then lays the bottle on its side around the garden. That way the curved shape of the bottle neck keeps water from getting inside and destroying the pellets. However, the slugs can reach them.

I'm not sure what happens after they reach the bait, if they pig out and die, especially if you have monster-sized slugs like you have, Faye. It is mind boggling to me, since mine appear to be tiny or up to 1 inch max.

Of course in England it is the mango chutney in the nicely shaped bottle, but any other product with a similar bottle shape could work. Mercy, Faye, you will need a quart sized bottle for your slugs.

Ken....the mental image of sliced slug is too repulsive to contemplate, dude. No thanks. I simply put a leaf over the slug and stomp. Don't want goo on my shoes either. What's that statement from the movie Ghostbusters?

"I'VE BEEN SLIMED!!"

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Ken, are the Great White North slugs different then the ones where you live? They all will die with salt, cut in two or stomped on .I guess you could also scoop them up with a Snow shovel and burn them too.
    We make them tough in our country Moc lol Thank goodness there are not many of the big ones

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

I keep a pair of scissors on my garden belt. If ever I see one I cut that bad boy in half . . . the birds take care of removing the evidence. . . (insert evil laugh here)

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

Tall marigolds, Tagetes erecta, are slugbait. Easy to grow from seed, but they need a headstart bedore the munching starts. Lettuce seems to be a favorite,
    And you could build a bait place, a spot where you place lettuce leaves or some such and patroll it regularly.

Good luck, bye, Lin

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

I'm lucky as I get to use Nematodes,the kinds that eat slugs.Have used them all summer and it has been great.Last year my first year they were eating everything,I have the smaller European ones.They never went for the beer when i put it out.
    I have a female friend who spears them with the end of an umbrella at her country house.She has the big ones.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Since I use slug bait, Bug Geta Plus, I no longer have slugs on the drive way and walk ways after rains and not in most hosta areas. Slugs are small here, probably because the big ones ate bait, and/or they die young here. But some hostas with white centers seem to be slug baits. An example in my yard is 'Lakeside Love Affaire'. In spite of bait, they still get eaten. Bernd

• tost lo
    6 years ago

Moccasin why don’t just put on wellies before stomping on them? In my head it seems very impractical to always get a leaf before stomping on one.