Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tedbug

Gold Standard & Paul's Glory....how to tell....

tedbug
16 years ago

Please tell me how to identify Gold Standard from Paul's Glory.....I need help!

Michele

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

this time of year.. GS is parchment colored in the center ... the center changes as the year goes by ...

PG's color remains nearly the same all year.. with just a little change in the center markings...

and.. PG has much more substance than GS ... thicker leaves .. and more blue ... i dont think GS is blue any time of the year ...

look over the pix at the hosta library ... they are not even really close in kind...

if you have the capability.. a picture of each will make it very easy ....

ken

• bunnycat
    16 years ago

(observations from my garden)

...However, if Gold Standard is grown in shade, the center stays chartreuse. I didn't know that it would change color if moved to a sunnier spot until I joined this forum in 2005. It is attractive either way.

Paul's Glory not only has somewhat thicker leaves, but they also have some corrugation. Gold Standard leaves are fairly smooth.

I don't know how much difference there is between very young GS and PG hostas . Sometimes certain characteristics only show up with some age.

I know a lot of people really like Paul's Glory. Mine were very tiny when purchased, and slow to increase in size. I'm not a fan.

Gold Standard increases rapidly, and I love, love, love them. Have six, growing in different light locations.

~Bunnycat

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

I've had the opposite experience Bunnycat has. My Paul's Glory's are faster growing than my GS. They are both probably six years old. I like them both but I LOVE my PG!

I agree with Ken regarding the center color difference between the two and with Bunnycat regarding corrugation...PG MUCH more corrugated; in fact, in looking back at my July GS photos, I don't really see any.

Paul's Glory leaf
    {{gwi:1087736}}

Paul's Glory in July
    {{gwi:1087737}}

Gold Standard in July - pretty shaded area so not parchment color yet but you can see how much smoother it is than PG corrugated leaves

What's with the dark green stripes going down the center of a couple of these leaves???
    {{gwi:904184}}
    Char

• sally_hosta_grower
    16 years ago

I'm not sure how old your plants are, but my Paul's Glory is almost 5 feet wide while the Gold Standard is much smaller. Are yours too young to tell by the size?

• dbowemd
    16 years ago

Gold Standard is sterile, or nearly so. Same family as Hyacinthina, Francee, Richland Gold and Strip Tease. They will have same flowers, and similar leaf characteristics at the same age/size. Usually no seed pods.
    Paul's Glory is quite fertile, so should have lots of seed pods. PG is the same family as Wheaton Blue, St. Paul, Paradise Glory and Pete's Passion.
    I've seen big ones of both of these. They are very similar when young.
    Dave

• tedbug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all for the helpful replies!!
    You folks are truly wonderful......
    Michele

• User
    16 years ago

And if your still having trouble telling them apart - Gold Standard has 8 pairs of veins and Paul's Glory has 10 pairs...

• mctavish6
    16 years ago

Here are a couple more picture comparisons. It may help or may confuse you further! If your really want to be mixed up, I posted pictures of Inniswood (in Discussions) under "The One that Makes Your Heart Sing" and Midwest Magic in the Gallery under "Still Looking Good". Both of these are light in the center, changable depending on the sunlight they receive. It seems that there is enough difference that they are all worth it. Of this group, so far, I think Paradigam (only 2nd year for me) and Paul's Glory look the most alike. What do others that have had these plants longer think? McT

• dbowemd
    16 years ago

Paradigm is shiny green and yellow, Paul's glory is dull, more blue edge with yellow center. I don't generally have trouble telling those two apart, McTavish. Love your pics, by the way.
    Dave

• tsbccowboy
    16 years ago

Between Paul's Glory and Gold Standard, I think the margin on Paul's Glory is wider, more consistent & goes around most of the leaf. This is noticeable in the photos of Hosta-haven & McT.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths