Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasmith

Hosta I.D.

hostasmith
10 years ago

Looks like a slow day on the forum, so does anyone have any guesses as to what this is?

Comments (10)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I'm throwing a guess out here, it LOOKS like my 'Red October'. I woudn't even have tried a guess, but I see some red from the petioles coming up onto the leaf a little bit. Just a guess.

Don B.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Looks a lot like my Cinnamon Sticks hosta also,even down to the flowers. Phil

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Any idea where you got it from? The flowering is key to the ID as the leaves plain green and there are a number of cultivars with similar red in the pets. Looks a bit like Katsuragawa Beni as the flowers on Katsu Beni tend to flop like the ones in the picture, and the leaf form is similar. KB is just beginning to flower here in Zone 5. I'll try to get a pic of mine and post it for comparison.

If it was Cinnamon Sticks, it would have white backs on the leaves.

Steve

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I think it's KB also...here's a pic...and details: 6 to 7 vein count, leaf is shiny underside...my flower scapes are still attaining height so no flower comparator yet.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

it looks like all the fall flowering green plants ...

what about fall bouquet??

ken

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of KB with the flowering just beginning.

Steve

• User
    10 years ago

Just going to throw this option in there. There is another thread about this particular hosta. Mine has been in a lot of shade and it is darker of leaf now. But it started out a medium green. The scapes are also floppy, but not sure they are segmented and the flowers placed in the same way as your plant.

One Man's Treasure

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not sure where I got this one. It would have to have been somewhere in E.C.I.(east central Indiana). I bought about eight of them six years ago, before I contracted the fever, from a local greenhouse when it was going out of business and another ten from a local plant sale in town. So I have a good dozen that I do not have the names for and I had to take a couple of years off to care for our son, so they were quickly dug out of the ground, moved and fairly neglected during that time. I am hoping next year, with all the knowledge I have learned from this forum and other places on the web, mine are back to full health and vigor, as too our son and look like they are supposed to, so I can find their I.D.s.

Here is a close-up of the scape

and the back of one of the leaves

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

OR....What Ken said...

Don B.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Definitely not OMT. The leaves on OMT are a much darker green and the flowers are darker purple. I'm pretty sure it's KB, but Chris will know for sure.

Steve

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting