Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasformez4

Is the new Zilis book ready yet?

hostasformez4
15 years ago

I haven't seen anything recently about the new book Mark is publishing or did I miss it?

What's the latest news if any?

Connie

Comments (15)

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Around the end on November is what i heard.

• greenthumbz4mn
    15 years ago

Has anyone checked the Amazon used books lately? I use that as my bellweather as to how close we are to getting the new Zillis book. The price of the Hosta Handbook has recently dropped from $114 to $94, so I figure we're getting closer to the new book--doesn't that sound like a pretty good theory??? :O) What is the name of this new book? Anyway, the new book has to come out before Christmas if Mark wants to sell a ton right away--many of us need them for Cmas presents!!!! . Mary

• jel48
    15 years ago

I'm not sure whether that's a good indicator or not. The new book is going to be a totally different kind of book then the handbook. So those who know that would still pay as much for the handbook if they wanted it. Of course, those who are expecting a second hosta handbook might be willing to pay less for the original. Just rambling... my theory... :-)

• greenthumbz4mn
    15 years ago

Jel~Just theorizing from where I'm coming from. I am not buying the handbook as I know this new book is going to be far more comprehensive and updated, and that's what I need at this point. Besides I can borrow the Handbook from the library when I want it. I must admit I really am curious why the price is coming down on Amazon as they rarely have more than a few copies to sell, and I think it was around $144 this spring. Maybe it's the coming of winter :O). Mary

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Save your money and apply it to the new book,i am really excited about this new book,there is even going to be section on hybridizing,(from the grape vine,:0) )
    I am sure we will know when it is out.
    Carol

• upnort
    15 years ago

I just requested this via inter library loan from Madison, had to see what all the buzz was about. I saw the price on amazon and I want to see for myself!

• jspece
    15 years ago

Connie stopped by for a visit today and wanted me to let everyone know she is not ignoring all of your replies! She and her husband are on a little vacation in Iowa and is eager to read your replies as soon as she gets home!

Meeting forum friends is great fun!!

• upnort
    15 years ago

my interlibrary loan showed up today. I havent had a chance to really read it but Im disappointed with the photos-too small and not very clear. I hope the new book improves this.

• georgia-rose
    15 years ago

If you are a Q & Z customer, check the latest availibility list for ordering info to obtain the book. It's finally on the way to a publisher (I was assured) and supposed to be available in April (yes, 2009!). Minimum order is 2 copies and a resale tax number is requested.

• conel946
    15 years ago

I just ordered my book---"The Hostapedia" from Casita Azul. The book will be ready in March according to the email I received from Stephen Roskopf. There is a 10% discount if ordered by Jan. 31st. It is $71.95 with $3.99 shipping. Will be sent when available.

conel946

• papou
    15 years ago

In Canada, Hosta Choice Gardens has it for sale at $105.00 CDN
    Buy "The Hostepedia" before January 31 and your copy will be signed by the man himself: Mark Zilis.

Papou

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

We did a group purchase and received a nice discount. Can't wait to see the new book.
    Pam

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Talked to Q&Z also, best I could get was Mark was "hoping the first part of April" I did advise there will be alot of p.o. people on April 4th if it is not available. Zillis has a scheduled "book signing" and speech in Mn., or at least people are expecting a book signing. I don't have any clout. When the publisher entertains the idea they have enough orders, then we have a chance of seeing it.
    Later, Rick

• treemon
    15 years ago

Mark Zilis will address the Northern Illinois Hosta Society spring meeting and plant pick up on April 26th. He will discuss Hostapedia and have signed copies available for purchase. Hopefully, he will have books from the printer by then.

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

I got an invoice yesterday for our copies and it has a shipping date of March 29 on it. I hope they are on schedule.
    Pam

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor