Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

What type of small tree to replace dead purple plum?

esther_b
10 years ago

After Hurricane Sandy broke several large branches off the purple ornamental plum in my hosta garden in the front yard, the borer beetles finished off the tree (which I never liked anyway). It is now completely dead and I find pieces broken off in the yard every few days. Its death resulted in my Maui Buttercups and Blue Cadet scorching. But word around the co-op is that the management will not plant any more trees anywhere.

If I persuaded the management to at least remove the dead tree (if falling dead branches isn't "dangerous", I'd like to know what is, considering their penchant for declaring "dangerous things", like my Adirondack fencing, must go!), what type of small tree would be a good replacement? Are Japanese Maples included in the "hosta-killer maple" category? I really like them. Or must I go with a dogwood? Any other suggestions? I think there are tree sales going on soon, I might be able to pick up a bargain.

Also, how fast do small trees grow? For example, how soon would a 3 foot high tree be tall enough to shade the garden? The more affordable trees are, of course, smaller specimens.

Comment (1)