Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

Anyone Growing Dancing Queen?

Gesila
12 years ago

I'm replacing my Dancing with with my Sum of All and need to find a new spot for Dancing Queen.

It's currently in a spot where it QUICKLY turned an ugly green, and is probably being strangled with maple tree roots. I'm going to put Sum of All buried in a pot and have several spots where I can put Dancing Queen where there won't be competition with roots.

Need to know what kind of sun Dancing Queen needs to maintain it's yellow color.

Thanks all.

Gesila

Comments (13)

• Hostamedic
    12 years ago

I planted Dancing Queen early this summer, it is still growing. I have mine along the west side of the house, so It gets about 5 or 6 hours full sun, then around sun down gets some shade from a tree.

Can you post a picture so see if mine qualifies for the ugly green status?

Thanks,

Ryan

• ctopher_mi
    12 years ago

Hi,

Dancing Queen is one of the plants I like to call the spring yellows. It is brilliant yellow only in the spring, even in a dark shady spot, and I think they hold their color a little better when they stay cool and shady. Mine currently are putting on a small flush of new leaves and they are yellowish, but no matter what the spring yellows turn greenish in the summer, and this one tends to go chartreuse but not solid green.

I would put this one in a lot of shade to prevent it from burning but I've never tried it in more sunlight to see if that has any overall effect on this one. In the spring it will be fantastic with its bright yellow color and later it will still look good with its piecrust edges, just not be as yellow.

Hope that helps.

Chris

• ctopher_mi
    12 years ago

Okay, so I looked a little more and it is suggested that morning sun keeps it brighter. I wouldn't try too much sunlight, though, as that might cause it to burn.

• Gesila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, I guess "ugly green" could be subjective.

Here's my Dancing Queen (in the middle).

I know the yellow's aren't going to stay yellow in this area, but I don't like this green color of Dancing Queen.

Look at 1 o'clock - that's Golden Gate, 5 o'clock is Jimmy Crack Corn, and 10 o'clock is Maui Buttercups. I don't mind when the yellows turn that color of green.

Gesila

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Here's my DQ in August. Gold Hosta are either virescent (start gold and turn green) or lutescent (start green and turn gold). This one gets a few hours of afternoon sun, otherwise it's in dappled shade from high oaks.

Steve

• User
    12 years ago

My Dancing Queen stays fairly light during the season and tolorate a fair amount of sun. My DQ is in about 6 hours of afternoon sun. These pictures really demonstrate why it is a "Dancing" Queen.

Dancing Queen in early July
    ca

n

Dancing Queen in early August

• Gesila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for responding Kent. I have a perfect spot for DQ to get plenty of sun. I love this one and it was such a shame for it to not grow to it's potential where I originally planted it.

And yes, Hostabluff, your DQ is beautiful!

Gesila

• User
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback on my DQ. And thank you Kent for introducing this great hosta. I checked out the Hosta Library DQ pics and notice there were no mature pics featured. Send one of my DQ pics to Bob and now I have a picture on the Hosta Library! How exciting.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Ken thanks for the information. I'm going to have to move my DQ to a place where it gets more sun. I like that pale yellow look that yours gets in the Library pics. Robyn, congrats on your new "celebrity" status.

Steve

• Gesila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Steve, you and I both bought a lot of the same hostas this year! I'll be watching your pictures to see how yours do. I think we're both at 42N, though I'm at a slightly higher elevation.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Yes, I'm at 42N but only at 524 feet above sea level.

Steve

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    12 years ago

I just thought it was great to post here with all of you! Robyn how wonderful for you! Beautiful plant. Paula