Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyz6ohio

Brother Stefan Still looking good!

garyz6ohio
9 years ago

B.S. is really standing out in his slug decimated bed.

Comments (17)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Your Brother Stefan is lovely! I have one also, and it is doing very well. One of my favorites!

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

I have to get one,it's in my cart for next year.Gorgeous.

• User
    9 years ago

Gary, your blue wall truly sets Brother Stefan off! It is gorgeous. What a treat to see.

I'll have to check what mine is doing. Haven't noticed it lately.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Gorgeous. Mine has a way to go still.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

What a beautiful specimen hosta! That one is a real attention grabber. Sweet.

-Babka

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

What a beautiful specimen hosta! That one is a real attention grabber. Sweet.

-Babka

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Your Brother Stefan is beautiful! (Or is it Stephan? I see both spellings). I love the texture of this hosta and the coloring. Mine's a lot greener. Does yours get a lot of sun or bright light? I have to move mine next spring and would love if it could look anywhere near as nice as yours does.

• garyz6ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its on the north side of a shed and gets a couple of hours of late afternoon sun. Thanks everyone for the kind remarks.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Sandyslopes- When in doubt regarding the spelling of a hosta name, check the registration info at the AHS. In this case it really is Stefan. The Hosta Journals usually have a section devoted to "What's in a name" or something like that and it is fun to discover the origins. I wonder who is "Brother Stefan"?

The hybridizer, Olga P. was paying quite a tribute to Stefan by naming such a beautiful, long lasting plant after him.

-Babka

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Stefan is her brother. She named it for him on his birthday.

bk

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

And all this time I thought it was named for a monk, you know, like Brother Cadfael.

Very nice plants Gary and all. Mine is still young and you give me hope.

tj

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 19:58

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Tj- Me too! I was picturing a friar type wearing brown robes with a rope belt...and chanting.

-Babka

• User
    9 years ago

Plus, Olga chose Brother Stefan to be her "lifetime achievement award" plant which she considered her ultimate achievement. I think that is great, considering all the wonderful hostas coming out of her hybridizing program.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Beauty!

Don B.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

North side with some sun, and it has nice color like that... Hmm, now I'm unsure if shade is the problem with mine.

Thanks, Babka, I saved the hosta database page.

Funny thing is that when I found it, I thought I remembered getting it because it matched a relative of mine, Stephan. But I just looked at my tag and it is Stefan, so what was I thinking? ......I bet I was justifying buying another hosta and thought Stefan is close enough, lol.

The only place I see the "ph" spelling is the top of the page at Hosta Library. Now I see it's for Olga's brother Stefan. It's interesting to find out where some of these names come from.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yes, was a birthday gift for her brother. Nice gift, eh?

Don B.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Wow ~ stunning specimen, Gary! Actually it's the most beautiful I've ever seen.

Mine is still fairly small, but I knew it would be beautiful someday so planted it in a prominent spot in front of the birdbath. Someday.....

Too funny about the name. I'm also in the camp that thought Brother Stefan was named after some Friar.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County