Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

HVX Publication from American Hosta Society

Babka NorCal 9b
9 years ago

Hope you are all members of the American Hosta Society. It is a wonderful source of information. I see in the latest newsletter that they have a dedicated page with several links regarding HVX. It is copyrighted 2014 so I believe this is the latest and greatest info. Linked below.

Something else mentioned in the newsletter about AHS introducing a new hosta each year, unavailable anywhere else, for sale to members only, for $20. You will be able to use the $15 off coupon that comes with your membership. I like that idea.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: HVX info

Comments (6)

• User
    9 years ago

The two page summary at the link made some interesting comments.

For one, they did not induce HVX by way of SEEDS.

Another, the higher the relationship to sieboldiana, the lower the possibility of HVX in those plants. Oh wow, I can see a big surge in folks buying Elegans and other sieboldiana offspring. Even with dessication, Frances Williams becomes a winner. Never heard of Great Arrival, which they specifically mention, but I suppose I must put it on my short list.

Plus, the springtime is when most of the HVX is transmitted. Not during or after blooming, and not in late fall. Debris in the soil just about insures the presence of HVX will survive to infect. And a freshly infected hosta can infect other hosta too.

Not familiar with the plant type they were able to infect with HVX, but it took two years for the exposure to test positive. I'm wondering what the prognosis would be for plants popped into the spot where an infected hosta was removed?

Meanwhile, I'm thinking that I'd like to read the whole report. It seems that us potheads (i.e. hosta in pots gardeners) are a bit safer as long as we observe good garden cleanliness.

Keeping the tools clean requires scrubbing, not simply immersing in something like the bleach. I'm glad to note that Dawn, once again, is a very useful product to keep on hand. Not just for washing down wildlife soaked from oil spills, but sanitizing gardening tools.

If I were an in=ground hosta gardener, I'd have potholes all over the place. Cannot kill this HVX with boiling water like you can pernicious weeds. Just excavate and leave dormant for MORE THAN TWO YEARS? oh dear, that is no fun.

I'm thinking that HVX is not my major problem. It is foliar nematodes. That, I think is the issue to concern warm climate hosta gardeners. Now I am waiting for advice from AHS on nems.

Thanks for bringing this to the forum, Babka.

NOTE: Great Arrival is a reverse sport of Great Expectations. Well, so much for putting it on the wish list. I'll have to go with Elegans and Frances Williams, and maybe Olive Bailey Langdon, which I do not have. Incidentally, there is no picture in HLibrary of a mature Great Arrival. I wonder if anyone has a mature one......

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 16:07

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocc- What did you think about the plan to introduce a special really cool hosta to members only? That appeared in another part of the newsletter. I don't know if I can post a link to the newsletter here, since it is sent just to members...but if they want more members shouldn't all the info about what they are doing be made public? I love the Journals and want to keep them coming.

-Babka

• Josh Spece
    9 years ago

The AHS eNewsletter is not a members-only publication. It is open for anyone to subscribe to...free! You can subscribe at the link below, as well as find the newsletter archives.

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS eNewsletter

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THANK YOU, JOSHS!!! Yes, in capital letters. Everyone here can become an "insider". Read what is happening in the hosta world and decide if you want to become part of it.

-Babka

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Duplicate post. Sorry.

-Babka

This post was edited by Babka on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 22:15

• User
    9 years ago

Someone knows the answer to that question, Babka, but it sure isn't MOI. I don't know which side of the membership/public divide the newsletter resides on.

Such momentous announcements as research on HVX would be spread widely, but through what media I cannot say.