Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harryshoe

Could My NOID Be Northern Halo?

After the transplant of Touch of Class, I am more obsessed with the identity of the hosta which used to be obscured by TOC. It was purchased about 5 years ago. For some reason I thought it was Northern (American) Halo.

September 2013

Any ideas?

Thanks
Harry

Comments (10)

• Lee
    10 years ago

Looks like my American Halo, picture taken today.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

After looking at 'Northern Halo' in the hosta library and comparing with yours, I also think that's a 'Northern Halo'.
    D@mmit, now I feel I need one for the 2014 gardens! Nice-looking plant, very impressive (BIG) when mature.

Don B.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Don, perhaps you don't when you realize that there are hundreds or thousands of hostas which look similar and some the same, but have different names. I have 45 different cultivars with green leaves and yellow margins, added 5 more this year. I have 23 different cultivars with blue-green leaves and white borders. Bernd

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will consider this Northern Halo and be happy.

Bernd,
    This is my favorite hosta leaf pattern. Maybe its just that there is nothing else like it (excepting other hosta) in my entire garden. I can't think of anything else I grow with such a blatantly contrasting leaf edge.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Northern Halos can get quite nice sized. Here is mine in the landscape last year,but it was still nice this year. It's the one by the twin Dogwood trunks. Phil

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

And that sounds appealing to me, Phil; A big 'Elegans' sport with a nice dark blue-green center and wide white margin. I wanna site it in a nice place with a little early sun and some bright shade and in several years, hopefully have a huge clump of handsome hosta! I really don't have anything THAT close to 'Northern Halo' in the garden (Maybe 'Great Arrival', or 'Woolly Mammoth' someday). Looks like a pretty great hosta, in my personal opinion. I'd like to buy a hosta like that!

Regards,
    Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

there are not many that have that leaf size.. and shape

you are probably in the ballpark with the name .... but as i recall.. there are a few names for what is basically the same plant...

i seem to think van wade had 4 or 5 versions which he claimed were different ... though i doubt they made it to the market ... unless you paid him a premium to get it from him .... and if you did.. you would know the name ....

as you will never be dividing it [you would be a fool to] ... and not going to spread a bastardized name around the market.. just label it as such..

and if someone ever argues.. then enjoy their visit.. as they will know a hell of a lot more about hosta then you and i ever will ...

you are close enough ... just label it...

ken

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

don. i have had better luck with great arrival than with wooly mammoth, but it may be another of those GE things.

mammoth went extinct in my garden ...

"Do like the halos though," he said devilishly.

ÃÂ .ÃÂ --~

dave

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It does look a bit like Earth Angel...

Beautiful picture Phil.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i am sorry harry ..

it looks NOTHING like EA ....

look at the largest leaves on each plant...

EA tends toward round ...

the first one.. is at least twice as long.. as wide.. and to my eye.. thats the defining characteristic ...

look beyond the color scheme ...

thats like saying your shiny black Yugo.. .looks like the neighbors Mercedes .... because they are both shiny black ....

ken

ps: and if your neighbor agrees.. ask him to trade ... lol ...

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor