Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marilyn Monroe...a late season bloomer

Posted by josephines67 5 ON (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 13:19

Could not resist sharing the beauty of a late-blooming beautiful hosta with stunning flowers.

The scapes are a pale lavender and lead up to the same colour- tinted bud....each flower bud is encased in its own lavender-edged, streaked cream leaf. The petioles are light green speckled with red now but in the spring, during the unfurling process of growth, the petioles are a gorgeous lavender colour...a promise of colour at bloom time!

This is truly a beautiful hosta to enjoy...from emergence right through the growing season. She still looks great...you'd never know its the middle of September!

Mine is only a year old. i started taking photos while it was overcast this morning and then the sun abruptly poked through...too bright, sorry.

Please enjoy or feel free to post your Marilyn Monroe. I would love to see more mature MM simply for the wow factor of more blooms! for starters, I recall Hostahillbilly has one! :-)

Enjoy! :-)

Jo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marilyn Monroe...a late season bloomer

Encased flower buds

o

So pretty

o

Sunlight illuminating from behind

o

Marilyn is still just teasing here today

o

I just got my Marilyn Monroe a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait to see it mature with more ruffle like both of yours. Here's mine:

o

And a leaf shot.

o

HH...how old is yours now? It looks l a r g e! And very lovely.

NHL..after I posted I remembered you, too, had just acquired MM....you will LOVE it.....yours is brighter in colour and looks like it got more sun than ours, but the colour is just gorgeous against those flower buds!

I've uprooted a few more hosta today...here's a pic of 'just Marilyn'.

o

Here it is in July this year. I love the plant. The way your flower heads look like chevrons stands out with all her ruffled edges. Sort of reminds me of the picture of the real Marilyn standing over the air blast in New York City way back when the movie Seven Year Itch came out. This plant evokes that image.

o

josephines67, I got MM as a bonus plant this year and looks like I will be enjoying those beautiful blooms. plantbug

o

Moc..share your sentiment... .your MM also has taken on a golden note and looks demure among her companions...loved Marilyn Monroe (NJBaker), love the hosta named after her...I went to an Art Exhibit last year that featured the fabulous Marilyn. It was an exceptional experience. A month later, I bought the hosta.

I'm so glad you have one Plantbug...there's no mistaking MM - I think she is one of a kind...did you happen to admire the white underside? It'll be more apparent next year. :-)

o

Jo,

sorry I'm so slow in answering just been very busy canning

our Marilyn is now 4 years old and not that much bigger than yours

this afternoon there were a few flowers open up the bottom of the scape but hiding down in
the leaves

hh

o

HH...not a problem at all..thank you for the thought...and good that you took a wee break! It's a lot of work, canning...but in the middle of winter you and yours will be the lucky ones enjoying the fruits of your labor. ..YUM!

My MM opened only two flowers yesterday for the first time, but even with the warm weather and sunshine we are having, they sure are slowwww to open...waiting to see if they all do. If they don't, it's alright...the buds are so stunning on their own. Looking forward to next year to see how much growth my 2-yr. old takes on.

Happy canning, HH! :-)

Jo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here