Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Pic of hosta seedling...

donrawson
9 years ago

Large, cupped, and corrugated leaves on this one...

{{gwi:1088853}}

Comments (14)

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Expected to see a tiny seedling, not that impressive monster of a hosta! That thing is awesome!

• User
    9 years ago

Me too, Bunga! Ha! I see a corrugated umbrella of a leaf, not many "seedlings" have such a mature look to them.

While I'm becoming accustomed to wrinkled hosta leaves as they mature, it still makes me uneasy for fear there is a virus lurking, waiting to pounce on my garden. It is what drove me to distraction in 2012, my first year of full immersion in hosta. I try to relax, and enjoy what I see, but always that thought is nagging at the back of my mind. GOTCHA!!

Good luck with that hosta, Don, it has a unique leaf.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

I'm a total sucker for the wrinkles, crinkles, puckers, whatever the official term is. Also the cupping. Mocc, know what you mean. I get that way about splotches now.

Don that is an amazing hosta! Are you close to introducing a new one? All blue, all season, and of course that big hosta gets a person excited. You really need a blog.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Wowza. Are those streaks or end of summer color changes? Either way, thats a winner. Do you know the parentage?

• mstrecke
    9 years ago

Seedling - Young / small plant.

That thing is HUGE and looks like it is about to eat that hand!

Simply stunning! I am also a sucker for thick blue puckered leaves.

You add some cream or gold variegation and it is just icing on the cake.

Looking good! How fast of a grower is it?

Margaret

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if you dont know.. don does nothing in a small ...

and if he ever says he moved some stone around.... be prepared.. lol ...

a seedling of a mother plant.. is said seedling.. for its entire life.. or until properly named ....

ken

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Don, that is going to be a stunning hosta. Maybe the streaking will settle out to a white center and you'll get something like a giant Warwick Comet.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

That's an amazing seedling Don! What more could one ask for? You certainly have a knack for introducing beautiful hosta.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Very impressive hosta, Don. Reminds me of Clear Fork River Valley. Could someone please explain the difference between corrugated and rugose; and are both of those characteristics present in your hosta?

DD

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

please explain the difference between corrugated and rugose

==>>> ummmm.. 4 letters.. lol ...

on some of these words.. there is an historical latin word [of which all are... but work with me here.. lol] ... and a word that is of more current usage ...

i found rugose in the older schmid tome ... havent seen it much since ...

ken

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

This is a very nice hosta. Very rugose, cupped, large leaf, large streaks and much substance appeal to me, would buy one when it gets introduced. Bernd

• User
    9 years ago

I enjoy words, because the choice of words reveals a lot.
    To me, with an English degree and a background in the paper industry, "corrugated" means a definite undulating pattern, as in "corrugating medium" which is the wavy strengthening element between two sheets of linerboard making a box strong. It is the pattern in sheet metal which stiffens it for roofing.

Rugose on the other hand is "rough", "rugged" and I suppose when you use the word "rug" it is a coarse rough form of fibrous flooring unlike "carpet" which is a finer weave of finer fibers.

Both terms denote texture and pattern. I really prefer the term rugose over corrugated as more descriptive of hosta leaves.

Of course, I have not referred to a dictionary. The best one USED to be the OED--Oxford English Dictionary Along Historic Principles, which gives you the first time a word was used, how it was used, and what it meant during the course of its lifetime. It's still pertinent today. Link below to website. Go explore.

Here is a link that might be useful: OED

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I like the word "Bumples", created by an old poster here many years ago. For me, it most aptly describes them bumps. ;-)

-Babka

• smorz
    9 years ago

lolz... yeah, a pleasant surprise! Not what I was expecting, either.