Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atmoscat

Planting companion for Sum and Substance

atmoscat
9 years ago

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a companion hosta to plant along with Sum and Substance in the shady border along my driveway and foundation. I'd like something smaller for contrasting texture and with chartreuse-to-gold centers and dark green (not blue) borders to the leaves (or vice versa). I'm thinking about either Cathedral Windows or Stained Glass, and would appreciate thoughts on these with S&S or other suggestions as well.
Thank you in advance!

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

can i ask ... since you mention foundation... how much space there is to the driveway ...

a well grown SS can be .. easily.. in excess of 6 feet wide .... i would think.. you will need upwards of ten feet between the house and the drive ...

do you have that space????

where are you??? ...

i would have said blue right off... you rule that out... i will then default to fragrant ones ...

ken

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh sorry, I forgot to put in my zone: 6b (MA). I should correct myself to say it's not really the foundation, but a wide bed between the side of the house (porch) and the driveway, and on the other side of the driveway as well. On the house side, the area I'd like to plant them in is about 10-15' deep. On the other side, probably 8-10'. I am planning to put a few S&S for impact then use smaller hostas and ground covers around them. The blues are lovely, but don't really go with my overall color scheme, which leans more to yellow/gold/chartreuse. Thanks!

This post was edited by atmoscat on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 14:46

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Stained Glass would be a good choice. I recommend that you also check out Summer Breeze.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

I like the idea of the wide green border of Cathedral Windows. It would look great against Sum and Sumbstance. Consider also Saint Paul and it's look alikes like Lakeside Shore Master.

I planted Hudson Bay next to my Sum and Substance. I like the combination so far, Hudson Bay is still young so it will be a few more years to know if this combo is a winner.

Happy Planting
    Beverly

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Check out Corydalis. It has green fern like foliage and small yellow flowers. Mine loves the shade. It seeds freely but wouldnt call it invasive. Mine gets about 12" tall and flowers from april till, well its is still flowering now! Great ground cover or filler.

Sherry

• dg
    9 years ago

Here's my Cathedral Windows with Sum & Substance in the back ground.

I just put CW in to replace Stained Glass, which was eaten by voles, so I don't know how quickly it's contrasting colors appear.

• dg
    9 years ago

An example of the light margin & dark center, this is Goodness Gracious with S&S.

GG color contrast began to really deepen during June.

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions! Sherrygirl, I love corydalis - I have some in another part of my garden. Hadn't thought of using it here, but you're right, it would look lovely. I may have to find space for some. I checked out all the other suggestions and I think lots of them would work well. Based on the pictures (thanks Dgregory!) I'm leaning towards the dark edge/light center options. Dgregory, your Cathedral Windows is adorable! I may go with that or Saint Paul, which has a similar look. Thanks for the help. If anyone has other ideas, please add them too!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Ah yes, Cathedral Windows is quite a beauty. Not too bad for a fragrant hosta : )

Hi Atmoscat...I have St Paul, too, and I love it. If this makes a difference to you, I have CW in more sun than SP, and CW's colors have not faded at all this season, where SP's centers have lightened to almost white centers. It's (St Paul) is gorgeous, but if holding color matters to you, Cathedral Windows does a great job doing that.

Don B.

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Don, Is your picture Cathedral Windows? Gorgeous! From the pics I've seen (one below), it looks like St Paul has a little more contrast - is that right? Sounds like you prefer SP, even though it fades a bit?
    Thanks so much!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Actually, if I had to choose, I'd take Cathedral Windows because it holds up so well, (and the strongly-scented flowers are nice), but really it's a win/win. They are both pretty great, in my opinion. This is my St Paul, pic taken June 9th. Beautiful early summer colors. Great form all year.

Don B.

• atmoscat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! They both look lovely. I do like the idea of the fragrant flowers. I think I'll give CW a shot.
    Thanks everyone for your help!