Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collecting seeds before chipmunks eat them

Posted by Pippin03 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 14:02

I was waiting for seed pods to ripen and the chipmunks ate them. The flowers are fading on another plant and pods are forming. Will the seeds ripen if I cut the stalks and keep them in water indoors? Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collecting seeds before chipmunks eat them

Seeds need a minimum of 6 weeks and should get 8 weeks to ripen if possible. You can protect scapes from critters by using an old nylon to cover them. If the critters get to them before you do, cut the scape and keep them in sugar water in a vase to complete their ripening. 1 tsp of sugar to 8 ounces of water. See the FAQ.

Steve

o

the whole stalk is ripe.. when the bottom most.. the first ... opens on its own ...

you can test by destroying a given pod .. and finding out if there is a black kernel attached to the wings ...

but since they usually arent ripe until late october or so.. i doubt you will find much now

ken

o

On Summer Breeze, two pods have split. Does that mean the others (on other scapes) should be ripe?

bkay

o

Yes, bkay. I would harvest those seeds when you see that. Other pods will split and spill their seed soon as well.

Steve

o

I got some ripe black seeds from H. 'American Icon' today.

hh

o

Aaarrrggghh...I hate chipmunks, but perhaps I have mentioned that before...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here