Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inspired by hh.

Posted by jonnyb023 6a SE Mass (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 14:13

After seeing your seedling bed hh, I was inspired to create one out of the Elegans (most likely) seedlings scattered around. Here they are-

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had 5 more that I could readily find, but they were very tiny, or very stepped on and I left them where they were.

Jon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inspired by hh.

Nice!

o

good start!

you can re plant those trampled ones of the pathway, they will be just fine.

Now for the hard part - the years of waiting to see what they become, grrrr!

I sometimes plant seeds right around the plant that came from, so I have some idea of their mama.

we also bury labels with the seedlings if we know where they came from.

best wishes!

o

hh, these were all around my Elagans. Of course they could have been pollinated by anything. I am putting the seedlings in an area along the road where I would be very likely to trample the very small ones, so they are better off where they are until they get larger.

I will line the road with them as they pop up. They will not be a "formal" part of the garden; just something a little unusual and hopefully something others can enjoy.....and at no cost! Who knows, something real nice may develop.

Jon

o

Jon, that is a great idea to plant hostas at roads, like apple trees were planted way in the past. I always thought to plant duplicate hostas at road sides, but never did it. Bernd

o

Bernd,

I am half owner of the property, so I am not exactly playing Johnny Appleseed. I have been planting some of the stuff I don't know what to do with on the roadside; but I did had a big Montauk daisy stolen and I am reluctant to put anything that costs much (or anything) out there. I have planted some rhododendrons, mums, vinca, various salvia (hosta seedlings) vines, etc and I even have a pumpkin patch (huge) from last years Halloween pumpkins that I threw into a pile of leaves, it got powdery mildew and I think I might only get 2 pumpkins. English ivy climbing the telephone pole.....sssshhhh, don't turn me in to the utility. I have about 220 foot frontage so I can play around with the space for a long time.

I get a lot of compliments, but I'm sure some neighbors think I'm bonkers, in a couple cases the feeling is mutual.

Jon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here