Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Yay! Hostas from Naylor Creek Hosta Library Auctions arrived!

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

I bought 9 hostas from the Hosta Library Auctions last week. Naylor Creek Nursery was running a Labor Day special. I'm always pleased with the plants they send me, and this time was no exception. I bought 'Fleet Week'....

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 14:33

Comments (20)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Minnesota Wild'...

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Forbidden Fruit', which is the tetraploid version of 'Orange Marmalade'. OM has never interested me much, but FF looks like a good one. All of the color with much thicker leaves.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Restless Sea'. Super wavy leaves on this one! The flower bloom looks promising as well.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had to get this one after seeing a picture that Steve posted earlier this season. This is 'Piecrust Promise'. I love the subtle colors and the leaves have great substance. Much thicker than I expected.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 14:24

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Who doesn't love an extra large blue hosta? This is 'Bam Bam Blue'.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The last picture is of 'Hollywood Lights'. This is a tetraploid sport of the hosta 'On Stage', which I love. I think this one gets larger, and the leaf has much better substance. I can't wait to see it mature.

I also bought a 'Queen of the Seas' which I didn't take a picture of. There are so many gorgeous pictures of mature ones on here I figured no one would want to see a picture of my baby one.

Thanks for looking. Feel free to add comments and pictures of your own!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Beautiful hostas! Looks like you made some great choices.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Lovely! I was also won over by Steve's photo of Piecrust Promise. I love that subtle glow it has. Forbidden Fruit is also on my list, and it looks like Naylor is a great place to buy from!

Thanks for the photos

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Christmas in September! And they all look very healthy and vigorous. You have selected a lovely assortment. I can see why you couldn't stop with just one... Soon you will be counting the days until Spring. Oh how I wish I had more room.

-Babka

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jadie-I think Naylor Creek is one of only 2 or 3 places that carry 'Forbidden Fruit', and I'm pretty sure they're the only seller in the United States. Gary (from Naylor) said that they have trouble keeping it in stock. They sell them almost as quickly as they get them. The plants they had were little because they never have any time to grow before they're sold. He sent me 3 just to make it worth the money.

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

Lovely plants. I ordered from the auction/Naylor Creek too. Mine just arrived today. They are soaking right now. Will post pics of mine in another thread. The only one we have in common is Bam Bam Blue. They had such a selection it was very hard to choose!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops...I forgot to include 'Ruffed Up'. It's not looking super exciting at the moment, but I've seen pics of mature ones and it's going to be a stunner! Ruffles, great substance and good sun tolerance...what's not to love?

Babka, I really don't have the room for these either. That's what pots are for I guess! Lol

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hostahosta-make sure you post pics. I'd love to see them. The auctions were hard to resist, weren't they? There were so many great and unique choices, I would have taken one of each if I had the room or the money.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Love that Fleet Week.

Beverly

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Good luck with all of them! All looking good

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Very nice, indeed. 'Room' is subjective, I suppose. I didn't have much room a few weeks ago; Now, like magic, I do! All plants in my yard that aren't trees, hosta, heucheras, or ferns....They're on notice...Here comes the neighborhood...

Don B.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Congrats! Those look great. Sounds as though we all spent Labor Day bidding and spending. Good for us! I will also post pics next week when mine arrive. I was hoping to get one of the Ruffed Up. Guess you beat me to it. Lucky you. I meant to ask the Boyz to add one to my order, but forgot. Think I will do that now. I really like that one.

This is like Christmas watching everyone open their gifts! Fun.

Cynthia

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cynthia-actually, I had the Boyz add 'Ruffed Up' to my order because I couldn't seem to win one during the auction either. Now I see why. Apparently, we've all been busy bidding against each other. Lol.

• User
    10 years ago

BABKA......IF YOU NEED MORE ROOM, I'M HERE TO HELP YOU .....(by giving your Snake Eyes a new home, you'll have room for at least one maybe two more?)

Ahem......shall I send you the address......prepaid on this end of course? :)

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

nice! tnx! bambamblue is touching me...