Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bungalowmonkeys

First Land Of the Giants Order, Giggly happy!

BungalowMonkeys
9 years ago

Just got home and found a very large box at my front door. To my surprise when opened contained the three hostas ordered from Land of the Giants. I sent a few emails to Jeff wanting to know if I could pay extra to get larger plants, since the three I wanted are slow growers. For what I paid and what he sent, WOW! Was not expecting the size and couldn't be more ecstatic. Giggly like a little kid. Three ordered are Tokudama, T. Flavocircinalis and T. Aureonebulosa. The size of the tokudama almost does't fit in my oversized pasta pot. They even have a bunch of seed pods still on them. Can't wait to get these in the ground and see how they come up next year.

My experience with Land of the giants, Awesome! Jeff was prompt to respond to my many emails, shipped when he said he was and sent bigger than expected clumps of my three favorites. Will surely be ordering from him again for 2015 shipping.

Comments (29)

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

still smiling :)

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

I've ordered 6 times from LOTG and all experiences were the same as yours. I'm happy for you and girl, you're going to have some monster plants next spring. Jeff always sends me big plants but never that big! I guess your giggly cuteness worked wonders :) have fun planting those beauties. I don't have any of those and I'm looking forward to seeing yours next year. Maybe I'll order some tokudamas from him next year. Or maybe you could order them for me using your charming smile so that I get some super huge ones! Lol

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Those look gorgeous!!!! I may have to consider asking for some larger sized plants next year. I'm working my way down a bed and will have some room for a couple large specimens. :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

why arent they taped up yet???

really makes you wonder about that slimer on the other post ... doesnt it ...

unless i missed it.. did you pay more for bigger .. or not???

did i recommend that brilliant ploy??? .... a mind a terrible thing to waste.. lol ... [where did i put my cat bowl joke???]

ken

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mac, if only my giggly cuteness did indeed work like that. Thought about you today and that champaign taste hosta, while shopping at a nursery. They had one called sunshine glory. It doesn't have the thick white margin at the point of the leaf. But was that beautiful green, white margin and puckered. Looked like a good replacement until the other is available. Might be grabbing one this weekend, will post pics if I do.

Going to tape them now. Didn't realize that needed to be done all the time. Just thought it was smaller divisions.

I did pay more for bigger, but got bigger, than the bigger I paid for, IMO. When I called around looking for these three, everyone was shipping single eye divisions. Ken, I believe you did recommend it.

This post was edited by bungalowmonkeys on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 16:26

9 years ago

Sunshine Glory is a great hosta, bungalow. I have a pretty good sized one. I'll take a pic later. It's more of a gold with a white edge instead of lime green with a white edge like Champaigne Taste.

Never underestimate the effect of your cute giggly charm. I too order multiple eye plants and Jeff always delivers more than I expected. For you he sent the farm! You go girl! Btw your enthusiasm for your new found love of hosta's is admirable.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Wow! You'll have instant gratification when those beauties are planted, Bunga. Plus, you'll have a better feel for placement. It would never occur to me to request larger plants at a higher price. You go girl!

DD

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

WOW! Those are the biggest mail ordered hostas I have ever seen! How big was the box they all came in? Guess you won't be having pasta for dinner tonight...

-Babka

9 years ago

Here's my Sunshine Glory.

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would love to see that pic. These were small, didn't have much pucker yet and the color was an apple green still. White and gold with some pucker sounds like a pretty combo.

It did help with placement, sort of. After planting them, stepped back to look and they are way out of proportion with the acoma crepe. The tokudama is almost as tall. Hopefully next year they balance out and don't look as awkward. If so, the crepe is moving.

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Took 30mins to post that response and didn't realize you posted a pic. It is beautiful. Thank you for posting it. I'm certainly grabbing one this weekend. Don't have that color combo yet.

9 years ago

Pucker up bungalow. Here's a close up. Hopefully it's obvious that I'm referring to Sunshine Glorys puckering.

• mstrecke
    9 years ago

Sunshine glory is a plant that I just added to get free shipping one time. BOY AM I HAPPY I DID!

Has turned out to be one of my favs.

You may also like Delta Dawn. Starts off with that apple green / cream combo that will turn to yellow and white in a bit of sun.

Margaret

• User
    9 years ago

OOOOOHHHH YES! Now that is the sort of white margin I can live with. But, I don't think it will look that way in my garden.
    I generally try to avoid white margins, since they wind up melting in the heat and humidity.

One that does fairly well though, Summer Music, has a white middle, with two or three colors painted in the margins. It got hit by cold this spring and the middles melted, but with its 2nd flush, it mostly recovered by August.

isn't it gorgeous?

and Sunshine Glory is one I got in 2013. It is doing fine too,

Don't have Delta Dawn, but here is a sport, Delta Desire.
    All gold though.

9 years ago

That Delta Dawn is sweet. I have it but it's new and that pic gives me something to look forward to. What really intrigues me about Champaign Taste is that I can't find it!

Love that Sumner Music also. Again, I have it but it's also new. Hopefully it will look as good as moccasins soon.

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Loving the wide white margin on that Delta Dawn. Not sure what it is about the apple green color, just can't get enough of it. The summer music is great looking also. Haven't seen either of those hostas before. Adding to the list. That delta desire looks like a NOID I found earlier in the year. Wonder if it may be it.

• User
    9 years ago

It could be your noid, Bunga. I got it from Bridgewood. I know someone on here shops there too, even dropping by on the last open house they had this year. It is right pretty and the leaf has many shades of greenish gold depending on the angle you view it.

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is that NOID. As you can see, went a little nuts with the white impatiens early in the year. Didn't realize they got so big. The rock bed has 15 hostas in it, but you can hardly see them through the white flowers. After looking at this NOID, not so sure. What do you think?

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Those are some huge plants you got there! Hopefully my wallet isn't light the next time I order as I, too, will ask for larger plants....

SCG

9 years ago

Nice NOID bunga. No idea what it is but I know I like it. Like you there's something about apple green that grabs me. It's a great color that pops when surrounded by dark green. Give me an apple green leaf with a white, blue or dark green margin and I'm happy.

So bunga, did you specify how many divisions you wanted to purchase or did Jeff just quite you a price for a big plant? Being that the tokudamas have been around for a long time it was probably easier for him to send you those monsters. I was happy just to get Gunthers Prize, Blizzard and Dorothy Benedict from him and was pleasantly surprised with how large they were for plants not commonly available but they aren't near the size of your instant classics. Seeing yours is tempting me to place the same order next week! The pressure will be on Jeff to duplicate it!

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After checking his garden said he had three clumps that sounded like they matched what I was looking for and quoted a price. All I specified to him was I wanted to purchase as close to a mature hosta as possible, since these grow slow. Hope you do grab them. Would love to see what you plant around these guys and then attempt to duplicate that.

Really love those three streaked hostas. Dorothy Benedict is a favorite. Had no idea she was so stinking expensive. Think that one might be a christmas present to myself for spring 2015.

9 years ago

Thanks bunga. I'll just ask Jeff for mature clumps. I'm thinking the blue tokudama would look great with Actea Hillside Black Beauty, Carex Bowles Golden and Heuchera Paprika. Sort of like this except replacing the Sunshine Glory with the Carex.

9 years ago

Here's the Carex. I like the grass texture with hosta's.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

bungalow, I can't order from him as I am on the wrong side of the 49th but can you tell me 'roughly' what they cost you....i am just curious....if you don't want to post it you can PM or email or not say :)

They look great!!

SCG

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mac as always, just beautiful! Love how the hostas pop against that black beauty. I've got to go back through the companion posts and start doing up a list of stuff to grab. Enjoy grasses with hostas as well. We usually have a soft breeze going through the yard and I love the movement they have. Heuchera's and my new garden skills aren't on the same level yet. Bought two and killed two. May try again next year. Look forward to seeing pics if you do grab a tokudama.

Southcountryguy, sent you an email.

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Hey Bungalow, I killed a lot of heucheras until someone told me they don't like as much water as hostas. I give them half to a third as much watering as the hostas and they're thriving now.

I think they have their own forum.

Kathy

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Kathy. Makes sense because I watered them every morning with the hostas. Just assumed they needed it too. Will deff give them another try this spring and not drown them.

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Lots of hosta people posted on this thread about heucheras.
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to heucheras forum

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

yeah... this is... the hostas-only forum... i will yell... CRIKEY... !!!

; P

don b