Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
old_dirt

mulch

old_dirt 6a
10 years ago

What does everyone use or suggest for mulching hosta beds? I am currently rearranging most of my beds because of bad spacing and planning (I hope I learned something from all this). I have never used mulch in the past but would like to for weed / moisture control and to keep the hostas clean. It must be organic and beneficial to the soil. Also whatever would be the least likely to attract and hold slugs.
I don't especially care for wood chips because I use them in some of my paths and figure they would clash. I thought pine needles would look good but don't know how slugs react to them. I also considered chopped leaves or straw but my shredder/chipper is broken down.

Comments (10)

• dg
    10 years ago

I have pine needles in several pots with hosta. I don't think there is a silver bullet for total slug prevention, but I don't believe that pine needles attracts them.

Slugs have been minimal this year for me. It could be because I drenched the pips with 10% vinegar/90% water in the spring. Then sprayed the same solution on the leaves (not in direct sun) periodically (read as "when I remember") throughout the growing season.

I also slug hunt every warm morning and mash the slimy dudes. I figure the more I get now, the less to reproduce along the way.

Fall clean up of hosta leaf litter helps eliminate egg potential adding to the numbers the next year.

But I digress... I believe that pine needles would be fine to use.

Deb

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you wont find pine needles in MI .. unless you have a very big budget ....

any wood chips are fine .... keep it away from the crowns.. slugs will hide in it ...

and NO COLORED MULCH.. or i will track you down and slap you ...

ken

• old_dirt 6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I don't like colored mulch and I don't like getting slapped so that's settled. I don't have an unlimited budget but will look for some deal on pine needles.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

we live in a pine forest, so pine needles bury our hostas, to the point of causing corm-rot, even.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Any bark mulch should be small pieces to not permit slugs to hide under. Any mulch should be less that 1 inch high, or you would not notice voles running under it.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I use the cheapest mulch I can find,usually Cypress mulch,but I have used mini Pine bark mulch also. Either way,the mulch breaks down,over time,and adds to the soil. Phil

• dg
    10 years ago

If you are still interested in pine needles, notice if a neighbor, or somebody down the road, has a row of pines. If asked, I bet they would let you rake up some for your mulch.

I got mine from my daughter's house. Raked the needles into a couple of trash bags and toted 'em home.

Deb

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

I'm going to differ a bit on thickness of mulch, I use probably 2-3 inches when I mulch with cypress ....at less than an inch I wonder about the effectiveness of knocking down weeds and helping to retain moisture. Except for borders and new plantings, I've stopped purchasing mulch and now use oak leaves. In the fall, I have been adding leaves that are chopped and bagged in mowing..... this can end up quite thick. In the spring I try to pull leaves back from hosta crown before the pips appear, but leave them in the gardens. I also leave the scapes over winter to help locate the crowns in the springtime.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Pine needles, I've learned, are NOT liked by many hosta-munching 'bugs'. I see much, much less damage to hostas that are mulched in pine needles. The beds that aren't (weren't) had a lot more damage and visible crawlies. Now I consider my pine trees gold mines for their needles. : ) Not a cure-all, but I've noticed.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Hey, I don't have the time to cram pine straw into a bag, so I just take an old bed spread or a piece of plastic tarp and rake em to the middle. Then I tie up the corners and throw it in the car.

Periodically (read that as when I have time and/or think about it) ......I drive around the hood and scarf up the bags set to the curb by NON GARDENERS which contains the precious pine straw. It is so pretty, I love it around my day lilies....which do not die down in the winter (for the most part) and the old row of rosemary..

However, most of my mulch for the hosta paths and garden foundation is the shredded cypress. I also like the mini pine bark nuggets for the front yard areas, and trying the composted pine bark AKA pine bark fines as sold by Lowes.

Would you believe they charge MORE for the colored stuff? Which I wouldn't take if it was cheaper!