Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Blue H. in Hot Sun?

arbo_retum
9 years ago

Have you all ever seen a v. blue hosta (large) that could handle full sun? I'm guessing not, but it never hurts to ask! thank you.

Comments (22)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

blue is a wax coating.. anything that wears the wax.. reduces the blue .. [same stuff on blue spruce.. blue pines... just about anything blue .. other than flowers].. the wax actually.. on some level.. simply reflects the blue sky above.. looking grayer.. on gray days ....

this would include rain.. hot weather.. rain in hot weather.. constant irrigation sprays ... chemicals sprayed on such ... etc ...

and it varies.. according to how far south you are ... northerners.. getting the blue to last longer than the warm clime peeps ...

and of course.. by sept.. no blue looks all that great ... besides.. the hosta will be gone to the ground soon ...

ken

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi ken, could you say that again--in English? I don't get your point. I know about the blue wax coating-- are you saying that , in non-shade, sun/wind/rain exposure diminishes the blue ?such that you can find h. that tolerate hot sun but not h. that are/stay blue?

my motivation for this question- searching for a sun tolerant v blue hosta is this:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/peren/msg080456186841.html?8

• dg
    9 years ago

I think you are better off going with the ornamental cabbage or kale idea suggested in your linked post. Also, the blue planter idea is a good one.

I don't believe a blue hosta will stay 'blue' in full sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: a link for the link from your post

• donrawson
    9 years ago

The answer is "yes"...I have a couple in my hybridizing program that are blue right now and they have been in full sun all summer long...but sorry, they aren't named and aren't for sale...One of my primary hybridizing goals is to breed a line of blue hostas that stay blue all summer long in full sun...

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Would a teaser pic be out of the question? When is your estimated date for these blues to hit the market? If that is a ridiculous question to ask for the stage they are in, please forgive me. Still a noob. I visit your website lists all the time for reference. Do you have a blog, or different site that offers more info on you, things like past and present work?

• User
    9 years ago

Hey Bunga, I think you are becoming a hosta groupie really quick. hehehehe

And I know what you mean, it is interesting learning the background of our hosta hybridizers. I like to know the whole story myself.

I know that Don created Rhino Hide. He then found Rhino Blue as a sport of RHide. He registered Color Revolt. Not sure all the other things he's done besides those awesome LISTS, but the knowledge that allows him to create the lists springs from a wealth of observation, experience, education, and interest in his subject matter. Have you seen pictures of his property and his gardens? Wow! They have appeared on here.

I give the stage to others who will know more.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

The link Dgregory supplied (thanks for that) says you're looking to have them in pots? Hosta in full sun in pots tend to make the gardener a slave to watering regardless of the color. Red Russian Kale or Little Bluestem grass would do better.

tj

• donrawson
    9 years ago

I'll post a pic one of these days when I get something I think is worth introducing...Meanwhile, you are welcome to come and visit my garden anytime and take a look at a lot of the blue hostas I currently grow...

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

In my garden I am seeing a large 'Bressingham Blue' becoming green due to sun and water. My 'Halcyons' though become bluer in fall, seem to regenerate the wax coating and sun has less impact then.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

don, I don't know your 'lists' and it sounds like I should. Plse post a link! th you. rhino hide is on my list to order :-)

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Here is the link to his lists.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Lists

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Hey Don. I'm in Beverly Hills, MI and would love to visit your gardens. I'm making a trip to Hallsons next week, are you anywhere in the vicinity? Please feel free to email me if you like. Thank you.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Lucky man Mac! Hope you take some pics to share. Do you have your eye on any particular hosta? Or maybe a list?

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I always wanted to see photos of Hallson's gardens.

bk

• mstrecke
    9 years ago

I will second tsugajunkies recommendation for Kale as a good blue - large leaved plant for sun.

I have several Russian Red - Lacinato Kale crosses as well as Chard in my beds. They look great and get huge in a few months. And have the added bonus of being delicious :)

Here are some pics with a gallon sized pot of Hanoki grass for scale. These were planted as small starts in the spring.

Overhead

Side

Margaret

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

^I couldn't grow kale to look that nice, too many cabbage moths around.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

margaret, as my mother used to say, tongue firmly in cheek, "YOU are a GD Jewel"!!
    I sooo appreciate your going to the trouble to post this, because this is exACTly what i had in mind re: scale, form and blueness. Now, plse tell me the name of the seeds i will be seeking and do they come from a special source or are they commonly found?

gosh, that thing is as big as a rhododendron! (in Boston, that is, not in rhodo paradise Seattle.)

thank you soo much, I had started to research Colocasia but this kale is the perfect answer.
    mindy

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Wow. That's nice kale. Is it tasty?

bk

• mstrecke
    9 years ago

Very happy that I was able to assist! You will want to look for Lacinato Rainbow Kale seed.

I amend the soil with a bunch of compost / manure and that very much contributes to the size.

bk,

It is tasty! Sautéed with garlic, crushed red pepper, touch of red wine vinegar, and some bacon if you indulge a bit :)... YUM!

Margaret

• User
    9 years ago

Aha, doing the kale that way is what they call "Jackson Greens" in New Orleans. Great taste.

Also, your plants look fantastic. The small purple flowers, the color of the kale, the color of the pavers, it all is very much coordinated. My DH likes kale and we grow it but nothing that lovely so far. He's waiting for cooler weather to put it out. I think he mentioned Russian red? fine with me, but I love YOURS for planting in MY beds near dormant hosta pots.

• mstrecke
    9 years ago

Jackson Green; good to know!

Russian Red are very pretty plants as well. Similar in color just not has much corrugation / puckering and are a bit smaller.

Should try to sneak some around your dormant Hosta pots :) I am sure they would like the company.

Margaret

• User
    9 years ago

I agree, Margaret, around the dormant pots for sure, and eat some of them all winter long. My eyes opened wide when I saw the lovely shape of the kale. I also have some brunnera seed, but don't know if it will last down here. Like my beloved nasturtiums, they don't fare well in a short springtime. Go straight to seed and the plants wither. But I discovered while up north in MA that they are a tasty treat for aphids...especially BLACK APHIDS. I'd only seen green ones before. Could not figure out what the heck was wrong with my nasty turshums. Too bad, I'd love to have such easy growing flowers here.