Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Anyone up for having fun at the hosta library auctions?

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

I know I am! Naylor Creek is doing an end of year special through September 27th, if anyone's interested. Similar to their Labor Day special, for those of you who missed it. Knowing this group, I'm sure many of you are already there! Lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library Auction

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 14:59

Comments (40)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I'd love to, but...

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Finally a picture - we'll all recognize you when next we meet!
    Jan

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL I'm not nearly that handsome, Jan!

Don B.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I'm so with you Don. With my first hosta shopping season coming to a close, I'm cash poor, but hosta RICH. Wa-hoo!

Thanks for the heads up anyway, FF. I didn't know about the Labor Day auction event, and thanks to you I'll watch for any hostas I can't resist...

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Come to think of it, I do have a general question about the auction...

Naylor's sale specifies that if you buy 4 auctions, you get free shipping, etc. What time frame are they talking about? Do you just keep shopping for a few days and then ask Naylor to "ring you up?" when you're done (aka broke)?

I have wondered this about combined shipping before as well...is it typical to win auctions over a multi-day period and have them shipped together? Otherwise it seems shipping fees would really kill the auction's value.

Sorry to tack this question on to your thread, FF, but I figured it was on-topic...?

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don-so glad to finally put a face with the name! Lol

Jadie-Naylor Creek lets you keep shopping through the 27th and you pay for everything in one payment. Nice of them....but for us "hostaholics" pretty dangerous! One can rack up quite a bill unless everything is kept track of VERY carefully!

• User
    10 years ago

Oh me, I wish I could, but there are some fragrant hosta given top priority. And I am in the midst of planning winter dormancy right now. I want to consolidate my "collection" (I hate to say that because I'm just a gardener, not a collector) and make sure I know every hosta I own before I take on more.

Too much too soon, and I blew my mind....the day I received 4 very large orders, I heard little screws falling off the gears in my brain, and I haven't been right since. But I've browsed the auction right enough. Just with my DH counting pots, it has hampered my free nature. :) The man is a marvel with big numbers, don't cha know.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Thank you FlowerFrenzy!

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Just with my DH counting pots, it has hampered my free nature. :) The man is a marvel with big numbers, don't cha know

Mocc, that is soooo funny! My hubby would be the exact same way, but, lucky for me, he never gets around to actually counting!

I've been doing a little auction surfing/shopping myself. I think I'm up to 7 of Naylors now. I find it very hard to resist the new ones, I seem to want to try them all out! I am apparently the opposite of those that want only the tried and true. I just love trialing them myself, I'm messed up like that. Excited to get them, we shall see if they find any new friends before the week is out!

10 years ago

Oh, crud, apparently I'm up to 8. Forgot about one and just got an email. Man, I've got to stay off of that site!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tell me about it! I've got to stay off of there as well...I'm up to 10! Though, if you buy 10, they give you free shipping plus 20% off your order. It's a good deal because it only works out to be about $10 more than when I had 8 because they only give you 10% off of 4-9 plants.

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

Ohhhh...I can't stop! I am up to 7 for the 10%! I am glad I have a birthday coming up! I am hoping to trade these in so I won't feel so bad(plus the other 50 varieties I have gained this year!)

Funnthsun-how many are you up to now?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Go, Smithstudios, go!!

Don B.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I'd love to know what you bid on! We're there any that "got away?" :)

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

I bought
    Key West
    Frozen Margarita
    Regal Supreme
    Rockets Red Glare
    Smash Hit
    Stephen King
    and am currently bidding on Ben Vernooij

I lost on Riviera Sunset

I would like to have bought
    Roseanne Walters
    Heat Wave
    Afterglow
    Olympic Edger
    Battle Star
    Laura Lanier
    and a few others I don't remember the names of off the top of my head.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Oh, it's still going on then? I thought the 27th was the end of the event.

I had to look up Smash Hit...it looks like a great one! A wider margined sport of Orange Marmalade. It's tetraploid, 'Forbidden Fruit' has been on my list. They seem similar...

Also, Ben Vernooij is so dramatically beautiful in photos! I ordered 'Autumn Frost,' its look-alike. I read in some thread that BV has thicker leaves than AF. Very cool!

10 years ago

Smithstudios,

Uhhh, can I plead the 5th on this one? LOL, last count was 22 (wanted the 30% discount!) and I have a bid on one that hasn't closed yet. Here's my list:

Paradise Joyce
    Smokey Mountains
    Monsoon
    Alligator Alley
    Tea Time
    Sherborne Swift
    Touch of Frost
    Smash Hit
    Alvatine Taylor
    Sacramento
    Waukon Water
    Heat Wave
    Silver Serenity
    Dream Queen
    Cold Heart
    Velvet Moon
    High Tide
    Snow Boy
    Riviera Sunset
    Lakeside Cupcake
    Smokey Bear
    Smoke Signals

Lots of potting up coming soon!

Ahhhh, so YOU were the one bidding against me on Riviera Sunset, Smith! :)

This post was edited by funnthsun on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 8:46

10 years ago

Forgot to say, I wanted Snow Boy but lost the bid on that one. Bidders were going crazy on that and actually exceeded the posted website price, so I dropped a line to Naylor and asked if they had an extra for me. They said Yes! Happy that I got that one.

Blarney Stone got away. Didn't love it enough to bid out 2 other people. Wanted Afterglow, but it looks like the bidding is getting fierce on that one, as well.

That's my one that almost got away, my one that definately did and my one that I'm still undecided on whether I want to compete or not.

• User
    10 years ago

Well, I got my After Glow last year at FirstLook12. It arrived late in May. I think it was Walters which donated it as a TC plant to the auction which I then won. This is the latest portrait taken in August this year.

There is an Afterglow in the Hosta Library which is not the same as this After Glow. I was confused about that originally, because sometimes the word separation is confused, and speaking it, of course sounds the same too.
    My After Glow is from Climax. I think the auction is for the same hosta too.

And here is its parent, Climax, in June this year in bloom.

Good substance, good slug resistance, and a vigorous style.

10 years ago

yep, the one in the auction is from Climax. I didn't realize there were two different ones, though!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess this is the place to come and confess my latest hosta sins! I bought duplicates of some that I'm already growing because I'm an impatient gardener and wanted bigger looking plants next year. My grand total is 12 hostas. They are:

3 'Justine'
    1 'Dream Weaver'
    1 'Tickle Me Pink'
    1 'Sunset Grooves'
    1 'Cold Heart'
    1 ' Kiwi Full Monty'
    1 'Moon Dance'
    1 'Hippodrome'
    1 'Liberty'
    1 'Sunshine Glory'

I'm already growing ''Dream Weaver', 'Cold Heart' and 'Liberty' so those are duplicates for me. The 3 'Justine' are going into a hosta border in the front of the house. Believe it or not, I don't grow any of the 'Striptease' family of hostas, so I'm especially excited about 'Kiwi Full Monty'. I ordered 'White Bikini' from Hallson's this year, so that'll make 2 hostas from that family. I foresee lots of digging, planting and sweating in my near future!

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

I'm ashamed to admit that I have you all beat. I bought a total of 41 Naylor Creek plants off the auction. (6 before they announced the special). a few were for my Mom, but the rest for me. I've been planting some new beds this year, so had lots of space for new ones. I also went crazy at local nurseries and garden centers this year. On the auction I tried not to bid if someone else already had a bid on a particular plant. Thankfully, many I wanted there were multiple plants on auction.

I'm really curious about one though: before Labor Day there was one Lime Smoothie on the auction. Beautiful with wide creamy/gold margins. Price rose quickly and I stepped out. Did anyone get that one? I'd love to see pictures of it.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hostahosta-Wow...41!!!!! That's a lot! I have to admit it, though. If I had the space I'd be right in there with you. I like to think that I "controlled" myself, but the truth is I just don't have anywhere to put them. I'm going to have to start renting space at the neighbor's house if I don't stop soon!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Nothing to be ashamed of; You wanted some more hosta before the end of the growing season, and you got some.

Please feel free to confess your sins in detail: Which ones did you get, Hostahosta?

Don B.

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

funnthsun, yeah it was me, but once I seen you wanted it I stopped bidding

I would love to order more, Laura Lanier, Battle Star, but I have a marriage to consider! :)

Looks like they went crazy for Afterglow!

10 years ago

OK, auction just closed on Ben Vernooij, so added that one to my list. That gets me to 23 and I am done!

Jadie, did you get the other Ben Vernooij? I am excited about that one, very cool hosta!

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

It is dangerous to read a thread like this and look at the Library Auction. Last winter I figured all spaces in my garden were taken, but I still ordered around 25. Now it starts again. Now I just removed wild bushes and trees and have another 50x3 ft area to plant at the back fence - I should have never done that. Even a month ago I had decided to simplify my garden to help my back and knee. In one month I will sow hosta seeds in the basement to do winter gardening - but then there will be all those hosta seedlings.
    I have to be strong and say "NO". But I understand how some people here got into 1000 different cultivars.
    Have a good one!
    Bernd

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

Sounds like everyone had a lot of fun with the auction special. Thanks to Naylor Creek.

I can't list all that I got but here are a few:

Sweet Innocence
    Blue Maui
    Irish Luck
    Seducer
    Lakeside Midnight Miss
    Waukon Water and Glass and Thin Ice
    Gone with the Wind
    Smokey Bear
    Sunset Grooves
    Heatwave
    Bamm Bamm Blue
    Sunshine Glory
    Lily Blue Eyes
    Her Eyes Were Blue
    Dark Shadows
    Kiwi Full Monty
    Summer Breeze
    Pewterware
    Humpbacked Whale

How many was that? Can't wait to see them next year. I'd post some pics, but for some reason can't upload pics to the forum right now. Hate computers when they don't do what I want!

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

Here is my list from Naylor Creek

Key West
    Frozen Margarita
    Regal Supreme
    Rockets Red Glare
    Smash Hit
    Stephen King
    Ben Vernooij

I was going to say I can't wait to see BV, SK and SH in person, but who am I kidding, I can't wait to see them all! Wednesday won't get here soon enough.

and here is my list for the damage to the wallet for the year and also to my wife's distaste for Hostas, some I brought with me from the house and there is also another dozen NOIDs.

American Halo
    August Moon
    Barbara Ann
    Blue Angel
    Blue Flame
    Blue Mouse Ears
    Brother Stephan
    Cathedral Windows
    Cherry Berry
    Dream Queen
    Earth Angel
    Elvis Lives
    Fire & Ice
    First Frost
    Fortunei Hyacinthina
    Fragrant Dream
    Francee
    Frances Williams
    Fried Bananas
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    Ginko Craig
    Gold Standard
    Golden Tiara
    Great Expectatoins
    Guacamole
    Hadspen Blue
    Halcyon
    Honeybells
    June
    Krossa Regal
    Lakeside Cupcake
    Lancifolia
    Liberty
    Minuteman
    montana Aureomarginata
    Night Before Christmas
    Olive Branch
    Orange Marmalade
    Paradigm
    Patriot
    Paul's Glory
    Pilgrim
    Praying Hands
    Rainforest Sunrise
    Regal Splendor
    Revolution
    Royal Standard
    Sagae
    Seducer
    Shirley Vaughn
    Sieboldiana Elegans
    So Sweet
    Stained Glass
    Striptease
    Sum & Substance
    Summer Fragrance
    Sun Power
    Tokudama
    Twighlight
    Undulata Albomarginata
    Undulata Unitada
    Undulata Variegata
    Wheee
    Whirlwind
    Wide Brim
    Winter Snow
    Wolverine
    Yellow River

There is one I wish I would have been able to get this year though, Avocado. It is first on my list for next year, which goes something like this, so far.

Avacado
    Fragrant Queen
    Rainbow's End
    Pot of Gold
    Tattoo
    Ruffed Up
    Mojito
    Cervesa
    Summer Lovin
    Theo's Blue
    Neptune
    Capt. Kirk
    Vulcan
    Leading Lady
    Gin and Tonic
    Athena
    Abba Dabba Do
    Abana
    Abba Dabba Darling
    Garden Party
    Victory

Sorry for the hijack!

10 years ago

Smith, I have Tattoo, Summer Lovin' and also Mourning Dove on my list for next year. Tattoo is just so expensive at Plant Delights, which is who registered it and also local to me. I'm gonna wait and try to get it next year at a better price!

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Fun, I didn't get the other BV, but I did get Autumn Frost. I'd love to see them side by side! I would have held out for BV, but I thought Friday was the last day for the sale, so I wrapped it up.

Thanks to my generous and enabling Mother in Love, I ended up with ten exciting additions:

Cold Heart
    Sleeping Star
    Clear Fork River Valley
    Waukon Water
    Blue Jay
    Smash Hit
    June Spirit
    Her Eyes Were Blue
    High Tide

Can't wait!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

If you got 'Autumn Frost', you're still doin' OK. 'Autumn Frost' and 'Ben Vernooij' may be the same plant.

Don B.

10 years ago

They say that ben vernooij has much thicker leaves and is a slower grower than Autumn Frost. I have AF, so I'll be able to compare the two soon.

I see that several of us bagged Cold Heart, I'm pretty excited about that one. It seems very unique.

One of The Boys said that they are expecting pretty bad weather this weekend, high winds and heavy rains but they're still working hard packing up all of our orders. He said they would probably lose power and it takes forever to get it back on b/c they are so rural. Poor guys!

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I received my auction order today! It was my first time buying from Naylor, and I am super impressed. Nice heavy roots, multiple divisions...even the leaves are looking way better than they have any right to look in October. :) I was planting and potting past sundown, so I will have some tweaking to do tomorrow morning. I will try to post photos tomorrow (though I guess they've already been up on the auction...) I am especially loving Sleeping Star (I could gaze at her for hours!), Autumn Frost, June Spirit, Cold Heart, and CFRV.

Don, as I have been googling around for pictures of some of my new additions, your sad, penniless hostaholic photo keeps popping up on the search results. Makes me chuckle every time!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got my order today as well. It's always so exciting getting packages in the mail, especially ones full of hostas! I'll try to post pics tomorrow, too. I've got some in the ground already and 6 more to pot up mañana.

10 years ago

Got mine yesterday, too. Headed out now to do some heavy potting (LOL! Am I the only one that finds that phrase funny?)

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

I got mine yesterday, also. The box looked like someone had sat on it, but the Hostas looked great. I was prepared and waiting. I had buckets for soaking, soil mixed and pots ready to go. I actually met the mailman at the road.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Waaaaaa, wailing here in despair because I can't join in!
    Aside from waiting for Bruce's Aphrodite to bloom, this is the most anticipated thread for me since it involves some serious hosta shopping, lol.

You all scored BIG ... I'm so looking forward to pics, please?

Jamie...how lucky for you to get a Sleeping Star..I kind of remember a post about it...have it on my want list. I also have a new June Spirit...it'll be nice to compare growing notes. :-)

FF...you said you were already growing Cold Heart...I missed out on it this year as it was sold out..."lime colour with corrugation" got my heart racing...is it doing well in your garden? I would really love to see a pic of it if at all possible, please?

All of you on this thread sound like the "A Team" of Acquisitions!!!

I really got caught up in your excitement...thanks for sharing. :-)

Jo

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo-yes, I'm already growing 'Cold Heart', but I bought another plant from the auction as well. The one Naylor sent had 4 eyes, so I should have a decent show next year. I can't tell if it's a good grower yet. The one I had didn't put on any new growth, hence the reason I bought an extra plant. I'll take pics today and post them.

Sorry you didn't get to participate this year. There's always next year, though!

• growlove
    10 years ago

Interesting thread. I was unaware of an auction so interested to learn how it works and if the price you folks pay is more or less than what you would pay in the Spring. Sometimes in an auction, folks who are bidding against each other end up bidding the item out of sight. Having said that, must admit I am a little envious as I see the long lists of purchased hostas. So many I have never seen or heard of. Wow! Have a list made for Spring. Glad to see I am not alone in my addiction. Mary