Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

Lakeside Kaleidoscope

mctavish6
10 years ago

Here is the good and bad. Mostly good I'd say. I've taken lots of pictures of this plant until this year when it looked awful. Some of you were thinking of getting it and I wouldn't discourage you. It really can be so beautiful.

Most of the years since I got it in 2004 it's been just fine but last year from early June on it showed signs of drawstring or is it melt out? Anyway, people had warned of this while I was praising it so it wasn't a total surprise. For most of it's life with me it's been in morning sun, one of my more ideal locations. Now it is in much more shade but is protected from tree roots.

I moved it at the end of last year and unfortunately this spring it was chewed by cutworms and slugs before I even knew what was happening. I basically ignored it after that. The only picture of it, below, was cropped from a group shot. After looking again at pictures of it in past years, I'm determined to be nicer to it. I'm going to dig up a piece and keep it in a pot. Maybe by moving it around and doing a better job against slugs it will look like it use to. Thanks Don for heading me in this direction.

It would have looks worse but quite a few of the leaves had been cut off by the time this picture below was taken.

Comment (1)