Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

A Little Guessing Game to Keep Your Hosta Senses Sharp!

hostanista
9 years ago

A Little Guessing Game to Keep Your Hosta Senses Sharp!

8 tiny pictures. 8 different hostas. 8 super close-ups. Even though you can't see the whole plant nor the whole leaf, and with no hints as to their mature size, can you still figure out which hostas are pictured below? C'mon Smarty Pants, you can do it! Answers to be posted in a couple of days....

Comments (12)

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

I'm surprised no one has tried to guess these yet. I saw them earlier and thought I'd wait to see what was getting picked.

A - neptune
    B -
    C -
    D -
    E - Liberty
    F - Atlantis
    G - abba dabba do (though the veins don't look deep enough)
    H - empress wu

The empty ones I have no clue what to even throw out as a guess. Maybe it is because it is so late. I'm going to sleep on it and see if any come to mind.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Seriously people! It's day 3! What do I need to do to get some action on this guessing game?! Need you guys to provide some clues or hints, if you will, for B, C and D.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I am finding it difficult to guess from the pictures. I was thinking more like:
    A is Queen of the Seas
    B is Abiqua Drinking Gourd and
    F is Marilyn Monroe

Hostanista, can you tell us if any of these guesses are correct? Clues would be appreciated.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

A. Queen of the Seas
    B. Could be anything
    C.
    D. June
    E. Guardian Angel
    F.
    G. Guacamole
    H. Elegans

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Thought B might be the drinking gourd, but haven't seen it be green like that. But maybe thats the color when it first comes up? Guardian angel was my second guess for E. It's that yellow at the bottom that had me thinking liberty. Glad to know this is difficult for others and not just me.

This post was edited by bungalowmonkeys on Wed, Oct 1, 14 at 16:23

• hostanista
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK TIME FOR AN UPDATE:

A: Bungalowmonkeys is correct - it's Neptune.

B: OK this is a toughy because it doesn't appear that too many of you have this one. Maybe because it's nothing earth shattering to look at but it has "great" tall scapes and lavender flowers (there now, I just gave you a clue).

C: No one's guessing this one - hmmm.....OK clue: white flowers on a very large plant.

D: stoc is incorrect, it's not June. Clue: think odd-toed ungulate.

E: Bungalowmonkeys is on a roll - it is indeed Liberty!

F: Newhostalady wins this one - it's Marilyn Monroe.

G: No one's got this one right yet. One of the few hostas I have seen with a punctuation mark in its name. Talk about handing you a clue on a silver platter!

H: I am impressed with you Bungalowmonkeys, it is in fact Empress Wu.

Back to it now!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I am grapping that "clue on a silver platter! ---

G is Wheee!

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

LOL! What the heck is an odd-toed ungulate?! Please tell me I'm not the only one who had to google that. Sounded like something from WOW or some other form of larping. So now that I know what an ungulate is, the only thing coming to mind is Rhino Hide. But the margins look too smooth and the center too wide. Colors seem right.

C - sum and substance
    D - rhino hide?
    G - wheee! Sounds good.

B - still cant think of anything.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    9 years ago

YES and YES! D is Rhino Hide and G is Wheee!

And no, C is not Sum and Substance.

B and C still open for guesses. Anyone else? Another hint: The words in B's name rhyme. C's name is a single word beginning with a letter from the first half of the alphabet. That's it. No more clues!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

G doesnt look anything like my Whee, but dont know what it is.

Sherry

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

B - Key Lime Pie - Lime/Pie?! humm? Saw mine when I walked the garden and realized the end rhymed. But there is no yellow ripply margin, so that can't be right.

and thank you for narrowing C down to only 14 possible word starting letters! I call shenanigans on that clue.

C- Big Daddy?

• hostanista
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK Bungalowmonkeys, I'll put you out of your misery.

B is Nate the Great
    C is Elegans

It was fun playing with you. Well you know what I mean.