Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

How to Revive Great Expectations?

arbo_retum
9 years ago

A few sad years ago, one of the stupidest things i have ever done in the gardens.....
was that i divided a stunning happy Great Expectations--in situ. I prob. left 30%-40% of it in the ground, and the 2 sections i dug out and replanted- have apparently disappeared. But worst of all, the mother plant has never recovered. (now has maybe 4-6 leaves.) And this was ~ 3-4 yrs ago. It is under a J. maple in open shade with a soaker hose nearby (we don't use often) in good soil. No other hostas are grown near it.
Would you plse advise me what to do to help it recover its former glory? Thx so much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Expecta. photo on Summer page

Comments (23)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

hey mindy ...

Gods honest truth ... dig up the rest.. and put it out of your mind forever ...

14 have disappeared on me..

you should be proud you won once ... trying to win twice is asking a very lot ...

of the hundred of us or so.. that dabble in this forum.. maybe 3 or 4..; can tell you a success story ... and frankly .... i dont believe them.. lol ...

there are hundreds of BETTER .. and easier to grow hosta... stick around in this forum.. and you will eventually see them all ...

pshaw on GE ...

ken

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ah hah! well THAT thought- that GE is the problem- NEVer occurred to me (in fact, i had no idea there were ANY h. that had inherent problems. I always thought hostas were the toughest things around. ( I think i just tagged myself w/ a big 'NEWBIE" sticker.? hopefully i at least provided some readers with a well earned snicker.)

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Sounds like a typical GE to me. Mine grew great for about 5 years and after that got smaller every year until it totally disappeared. Out of the dozen or so very capable gardeners I know, none of them have grown GE.

You're right arbo, for the most part hosta's are nearly indestructible, but there are some that just don't play by the rules. Tattoo and White Wall Tire seem to be in the same group as GE and I'm sure there are many more. So I'm with Ken, throw it out and replace it with something better.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

If you hold your mouth just right, put it in morning sun, live in zone 5, have three green thumbs, site it high, water it adequately, don't ever move it or divide it you MAY succeed.

I think Bernd is the only person on here right now who has a mature GE. They certainly are gorgeous hosta.

Maybe someone will suggest a similar looking plant that you could replace it with.

bk

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

If you want to go through the hassle, you can dig it up and pot it . They seem to do better on the pot bound side so when the roots start poking through the bottom of the pot, move it to a slightly larger pot. You can continue this until you feel that it is large enough to put back in the ground. Then, more than likely in a couple of years, you can go through the whole process again. Dream Queen seems to grow well and looks somewhat like GE.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Two of my favorite vendors removed GE from their catalogs. What does the tell you......

DD

• drc215
    9 years ago

Mindy, after looking at your website I can certainly say you are not a newbie. You have a beautiful, inspiring, enviable garden and I think the word garden does not give it enough credit. More like paradise. I am trying to get the DH to understand the importance of structure in a landscape design, especially conifers. He says all they are good for is harboring mosquitoes and will not let me plant any. Oh well. I will be back to visit your site to study the pictures closely for inspiration. Loved the humor page!

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

You are in zone 5 so I expect that you will be able to save your plant. I took a division of my GE with me when I moved to my current home. It hated me and I thought that I was going to lose it for sure. Then I found this forum and some really great advise from dhaven.

"dhaven:
    Some varieties are very picky about growing conditions, and unless they are planted in optimum conditions, they will either remain small, or fade away and die. The best example of this I know of is Great Expectations, which also happens to be my favorite hosta. A great many people have lost this one, sometimes more than once. I have three very large mature plants, and they are the prettiest thing in the garden. It took some experimentation, but there are three things that GE absolutely must have to thrive. First, and most importantly, plant it shallowly. It's going to be a very large plant, so the natural inclination is to plant it deeply, but this will kill it faster than anything else. Plant it so shallowly you are convinced that it will tip over, and you've got it right. Secondly, it likes a lot of light. Dappled shade is ideal, but it will take several hours of direct sun, either morning or afternoon. Third, it likes a lot of water. If you give a GE all three of these things, you will increase your chances of growing it into an absolutely stunning plant.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Back in 2011 I dug up my plant and raised it up - roots actually above the soil. I was desperate and willing to try anything. This picture shows the spring of 2012 and just how high this plant was perched...and just how much it seemed to like having it's roots exposed. (sorry it is a little dark - I like to take pics later in the day).

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Here is a picture from this year. It's not a giant by any means - but it is getting bigger every year.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

gee, connie may, this is fantastic. i'm sooo glad you saw my post. I guess i'll move it down to the front edge of the bed so it gets morning light. and of course, raise it and station the soaker hose right next to it.. If this doesn't stop the failing, i''l do Gary's potbound routine.THANK youall!
    * None of you mentions fertilizer; do you not fertilize hostas?

(and thx for your comments,drc!)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

You probably have perfect growing conditions temperature wise, except for the time element. I'd be willing to bet that when you first planted it and it did so well, the J. maple was relatively new...before the maple roots took over. I love all my trees but their roots are taking over everything. If you want to save it, pot it. (I'm on my 4th one... so I really don't know diddly about growing GE)

-Babka

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

Mine was a huge plant when I put it in four years ago. The next year it was a lot smaller, then even smaller after that. Surprisingly, it actually looks pretty good this year but the leaves aren't nearly as big as ones I've seen online. I have it in shade...I imagine it would do better with more sun. I think I'll leave it in place and move the other plants surrounding it.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Well, this does NOT work...It just spend the cash on some 'companions' and stayed small.

Don B.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

don, it took me awhile but now i have a big grin; th you!

babka and gary, pot it and put it on TOP of the ground? or sink it into the ground?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Arbo- I would pot it up and after it goes dormant put it in an unheated garage until you see green shoots. Or tip the pot on its side (to keep snow/ice from puddling in it) and put it where the sun won't shine on it.

-Babka

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

don, (this is OT but on my own thread!) I've always thought it was harder to find someone who shares one's sense of humor- than almost anything else. You def have MY kind of sense of humor. LOVE it.
    See if any of this gets you to chuckle:
    best,
    mindy

Here is a link that might be useful: Humor in the Garden

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Too funny arbo! Worst part is that I can relate to just about every item on the list. Thanks for sharing.

Btw. Don doesn't have a sense if humor, it's the meds. Don't tell him though, I wouldn't want to go capt. Kirk on us :)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Looks like GE = - $25 or whatever the going rate is. Maybe Don should take that $100 , dig a hole, place bill in hole, take picture of said money, play taps! Just a suggestion for the GE. Ha ha

Sherry

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

I'd agree with making sure it's not too deep. I have them growing well in four different spots. I lost one once when it was covered with way too many leaves over the winter. :-(. Unfortunately, it was a huge beautiful plant that I'd decided to move before I smothered the poor thing.

I have one growing in lots of shade and where it's fairly dry too, and even that's doing OK. But it's not light fluffy soil, either.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

25 bucks??? Robbery! It was 12 bucks...still got ripped off...

Anyway, I just bought a bunch of hard liquor with that cash. Mixed with my meds = VOILA! A sense of humor!

Mindy I'm sorry, but you touched your GE, so it's done for. : (

Don B.

• hostanovice
    9 years ago

My GE looking pretty good. Especially for august! This is GE right?!

• hostanovice
    9 years ago

Closeup