Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

Orange Marmalade and repotting U. Albomarginata, etc!

brandys_garden
10 years ago

It turns out I wasn't done for the season. This morning while at the garden greenhouse that offered me the Wheee for $3 or whatever and then when I went back, it was way more. Well I got what is labeled as an Orange Marmalade there today for $10.

I also talked to my hosta guy and he said there should be enough time for a hosta to "settle in" before the winters nap. It doesn't take them 2 months to do so. So I repotted the U. Albomarginata. It needed it BADLY. It wouldn't have survived the winter in it's previous pot. It was a chore. The pot itself weighs about 65lbs! So I put it where it needed to be and filled it with potting soil (not Moisture Control, either) and I got it done. U. Albo is very happy and perky now!

I gave UA's old pot to Luna Moth after I cleaned it out good. She seems happy and the colors really go together.
And I gave Mama Mia's old pot to El Nino because he would look good in it due to his colors. And I put Mama Mia in his pot because the one she was in overwhelmed her.

Where I put Orange Marmalade

It was a very busy morning for me, as you can see. But everyone is happy and in the right type of soil now. And I don't need to go work out at the gym for a couple of days, either! LOL!

Comments (7)

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

You had a good day! Congratulations! What do you do with your pots in the winter?

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I wasn't very hooked by Orange Marmalade until I saw one in person. It's an eye-catcher for sure! (And very distinct, so no mislabeling fears with OM :)

I have only had mine this season, but so far it seems to be a very willing grower...lots of second flush growth and late-emerging eyes. It is a joy to see those spring-fresh colors when others are looking world-weary. I think you'll enjoy it?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Sure looks like 'Orange Marmalade' to me. It's a lot bigger than mine that I paid 14 or 15 bucks for, so good find.

Don B.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. The Hosta guy likes it, too. He said he is still selling hostas right now, too. He'll close shop in another couple of weeks, though, but right now is still OK for planting hostas as they'll take to their spots and pots now fine. It only takes them a couple of weeks.

I didn't see Orange Marmalade last time I was there. They must have just got it in recently? They told me they are trying to sell everything off, too. Before season is over. That is why I got it for $10 instead of $20.

I looked up info (of course) on it and pics. I can't wait until next season! It'll be an awesome addition, I think.

ZKathy, most of my pots are frost and weather resistant so I just leave them where they are. I will get put the others in the storage building I own for the winter, though. (It's not heated but it'll keep them dry at least.)

• jel48
    10 years ago

We love Orange Marmelade. It has become my husband's very own hosta (he loves gardens and gardening and is becoming less of a newbie as he lives wit me longer :-). When the first one wasn't doing all that great, we searched for a couple of years (they were hard to find at one time, being (I believe) a patented hosta) and finally found one which resides in a big blue pot at the bottom of our back steps and which is becoming pretty good sized at this point. You got a good buy on it! Congrats!

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well any worries I may have had that all the new potting soil didn't get soaked enough or all the way through were put to rest this morning!! A heavy rain shower... And it's supposed to rain for at least half to most of the week! Happy hostas and mums this morning!

• User
    10 years ago

Just like a young lady with a new dress, the hosta are looking mighty perky. Good job, Brandy.