Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Color

Posted by BeverlyMN 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 15:16

I am very interested in Hosta that have good fall color. A nice seasonal progression. Here is an new one for me that is showing promise. Add your favorites as fall comes your way.

Hudson Bay

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Color

I am always sad to see the season end and all my plants preparing themselves for winter. But I do think that your Hudson's Bay hosta is looking quite cute in its coloring. I will have to watch and see if any of my hosta put on a fall "show."

o

My hostas are just beginning to show fall colour, but 'Irish Luck' is at the head of the pack today.
Jan

Photobucket

o

Not the best pictures, taken at night.

June still looks great.
Photobucket

Sun Power
Photobucket

If I can squeez something other than hostas: Hydrangea Endless Summer and Heuchera Obsidian
Photobucket

o

Just today I wandered the gardens taking pictures of Hostas going to sleep, for archival and comparison purposes.

I wasn't thinking of them as colorful, merely going to sleep.

By the time we get back from a long weekend trip imminent I may get the pics ready for publication. If this thread is still on page 1, perhaps I'll add them here instead of my originally intended thread title 'Hostas now starting to go to sleep here'.

I sure never thought of this as a new seasonal color variation before. Interesting viewpoint ;-)

As always, thanks for the thought,

hh

o

If you want to see some lovely colorful hosta, I recommend Myrle's photos taken last year. Uploaded here as well as at her Flickr albums.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll do a search on it. For now, it is 10 minutes to midnight, and I turn into a pumpkin!
It is my attempt at being "normal." Instead of staying up all night after working all day....it was a BEAUTIFUL day here, and I got so much done. Now I must rest, and prepare for the final order from WadeGatton to arrive perhaps this Thursday....or Friday....depending on the whims of the USPS.
Potting medium to mix up....pots to drill....mulch to spread after laying landscape fabric over the last portion of the "back forty." Then, kill the fire ants (wishful thinking I guess), and prepare the hosta for the last countdown.

o

Hmmm, I'm not able to find Myrle's Flickr albums on this computer since it lost all of my profile. Unless she stopped her albums there? They were great photos for sure.

However, I'll give you a link to a really pumpkin gold leaf, what seems to be S&S taken several years ago.

Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta in pumpkin color

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 14:46

Moccasin, you beat me to it. HH, I felt the same way about hostas going dormant. Yellowing leaves, yucky, get them out of sight. Then, a few years ago, McTavish posted some breath taking pics of what she termed (I think) as Fall Coloring. I had never looked at end-of-the-season yellowing hosta leaves in that light. Now I enjoy those ever so much.

Thank you, BeverlyMN. Your photo is lovely, and does indeed display beautiful Fall Color on hosta leaves.

-Babka

o

I finally located McTavish9's Flicker albums. They were uploaded or taken in October 2011, and so the photos on GWeb are probably around a year ago as well.

If you haven't viewed Myrle's photography or hosta before, it is worth checking out the views.

Having a neighbor like Myrle would turn anyone into a hostaholic, just like AlmostHooked....heck, she didn't have a chance once she saw Myrle's garden! How lucky.....

o

Thank you for the kind comments. I haven't been posting much lately though I do check the forum. It's been a pleasure to watch someone else loose their mind - HA! Time to change that almosthooked to 'overthetop' or something.

We haven't had frost yet so not a lot of great color. I hope it isn't like one other year when it went from green to dead overnight with no in between. Here are a few pictures of late summer early fall shots. Most of these were taken on Sept 30 or Oct 1.

Queen of the Seas 2012 fall

Ringtail fall 2012

fall 2012

Whirlwind 9-22-12 (46)

Here are the planter boxes Faye made in the spring. They are great and very talented of her to work with saws etc. Have you seen her bird houses? They're beautiful.

sunset 2012

o

What a set of good photos. Those clouds look heavy right enough too. Glad to see new photos from you on the forum.

o
RE: Fall Color - more

every day brings such change in the garden - just like watching spring growth. I love the fall colours, and the cooler days we're having. Here's 'Journey's End' glowing in the garden.
Jan

Photobucket

'Rhino Hide' is a bit of a show off in every season.

Photobucket

o

I somehow find it hard to call the fall color of hosta as color but more like going to sleep or dying back but.. just me. But on the otherhand I do like the fall color of the maples. This is from last year because they are barely turning yet.

o

Gorgeous pictures everyone! But I too never thought of hostas as having fall color. To me fall is "the end" of heat (I much prefer heat to cold) and the end of the garden for another year, and so I feel a bit sad about it all.

Went last week to a garden nursery. One hosta stood out with fall color. It was Zounds. I even brought along my camera, but unfortunately, my memory card wouldn't work! But I found one hosta at this time in my garden that took a nice picture. I got this hosta in the spring.

Birchwood Parky's Gold

o

One more of Birchwood Parky's Gold.

o

Hmmmm, I did not find a picture of Birchwood Parky's Gold at Hosta Library, which had that kind of margin color. Your pictures are beautiful, true enough.

I do not have BPGold. I have instead Sunny Disposition, Teaspoon, and Zuzu's Petals, all sports or hybrids of BPG.

I took pictures today, after I moved many of my hosta back into the totally mulched area of the garden. PHotos still on the camera, won't take time tomorrow to download/upload because I have another lovely day cooler to do some heavy duty spreading of cow manure, landscape fabric, and then more mulch and mini pine nuggets etc. Hopefully the squirrels will stop targeting me while I'm under the pecan trees. Those pecans are lethal, plus tear up hosta leaves.

o

I know what you mean about the squirrels targeting a person. We were up at Myrle's sitting under her walnut tree when something hit me and it split on the back of my neck with a vengeance . Man that hurts. I would have let out my wiener dogs but they may have caught him or ripped up Myrle's hosta . They are all her pets . My dogs are all mighty hunters and will spent the whole day under a tree if there are squirrels to catch.

o

Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 12:36

Newhostalady- You captured the Fall color perfectly in your Birchwood Parky's Gold. I hope you won't mind If I save that close-up photo?

-Babka

o

Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 15:12

You guys inspired me to go look at a few hostas that from afar seem to just be drying up. Here is Queen of the Seas with her Fall golden halo. ;-)

-Babka

Photobucket

o

Wow, Babka, that is a neat pattern. Parchment and a water stain effect, then yellow as the green is encroached upon.

I was taking pictures outside for a few moments last night, before I fell over exhausted. Now I'm back at cleanup of the far end of the garden, so it will be at least another day before I take time to get the pictures off the camera.

You know, dried hydrangea looks nice as a bouquet, I wonder about dried hosta leaves. I'm even the proud owner of some seed pod scapes.

Does anyone have any pod-filled scapes to share? PICTURES, I mean?

o

Thanks for your pictures. I noticed for the first time last year the pretty golden colors of some of my hosta. I will continue to seek out those that have that property.

Beverly

o

I hope you don't mind me reposting my fall picture of Birchwood Parky's Gold. I meant to enlarge the picture, but forgot the first time. I am wondering whether this is typical of the fall coloring one can expect with this hosta.

Moccasinlanding: I am not sure what you meant when you said "I did not find a picture of Birchwood Parky's Gold at Hosta Library, which had that kind of margin color." Is there suppose to be one?

Babka: Your Queen of the Seas leaf is great. I hope that my young Queen of the Seas might do the same fall coloring. Also, I am tinkled pink that you want to save my Birchwood Parky's Gold closeup! Please do.

Photobucket

o

Newhostalady, I was commenting because all the pictures at the HostaLibrary showed a solid leaf color with no margin of any sort. None were as closeup as your photos though.

I agree, the hosta you have, by ANY NAME, is gorgeous. Delicate and superbly color coordinated. Your photo does it justice.

o

Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 21:27

Moccasin- Birchwood Parky's Gold doesn't have margin color except in Fall and Newhostalady captured it so beautifully. Same with my Queen of the Seas...it doesn't have margins until now. But my photo doesn't quite glow with that halo that Newhostalady was able to get.

How are yours doing down there in Alabama? Some should be going to sleep, although in our higher zones (without frost)the going-to-sleep time takes longer. Anything related to Halcyon in my pots is not showing any nighty-nite signs.

-Babka

o

Babka, thank you for that information about Bwood Parky's Gold. I found no mention of that trait in descriptive literature. But I did not haul out the Hostapedia, which is where it might be written. Really an outstanding picture by Newhostalady.

Going to sleep? Hmmm, not very many. In my reorganizing of the containers, I'm checking for proper drainage, and the ones which died back early, many of them had a drainage issue. So me and the drill are dealing with that while the crowns are still poking up okay. In a couple of instances, like with TotTot, I bare rooted it to see what was going on. LOTS of new tiny eyes with roots, but nothing on top. It was not draining.

Yes, the Halcyon lineup, including June, June Fever, Teatime, Touch of Class, Ripple Effect, Bulletproof, and one with Frost in the name...cannot remember if Touch of Frost or Autumn Frost....all are doing fine with no diminishment.

Some have new leaves growing still, but not as strong a reflush as in September. My big fragrant beauties I now have clustered in a triangular row to grab your eye on the walkway toward our Friendly Gate--the one connecting us with our gardening neighbor-lady in the house behind us. She sold us the Back Forty awhile back.

I finally took time last night to get the latest photos off the camera, but have not gone through to add keywords for easy retrieval. I uploaded one photo to Flickr trying out a new direct route with the Windows Live Photo Gallery. However, that will only be useful AFTER I add the indexing terms, else I must do it in two places...on my computer and then to Flickr if I load them there too quickly. So for now, I'll just put in ONE photo via GardenWeb, which is turning into a very convenient single shot feature.

Here is a long view of the big dudes of the fragrant family, with the Friendly Gate showing.

o

One which looks very good at this time is Paul's Glory.
Not so much fall colors, as it has a variety of leaf looks going on. I think it is prettier now than it was early in the year.

o

It's a been a great fall so far in BC with nice sunny days. These pictures were taken a couple days ago. The original coloring is on top with the current look below.

Fall  6-22-12 (16)

Here are some that still look as good as they ever did.

I

IMgG_4255

o
RE: Fall Color - Gold Regal

hh

o
RE: Fall Color - Bugbane

hh

o

It rains here now every other day. My Fall Color right now is every plant covered with wet yellow-red leaves and pine needles. 29 degrees is the forecast for tonight, but thereafter again around 40 at night for 10 days.

o

Are those really pics from your yards McT & Almost? I am stunned! How beautiful! Here in the midwest those are thought of as places to visit vs. residing. How fortunate to see that every day! -Thanks for sharing.

o

Yes we are both very fortunate to have this great view off our front yards. Our leaves seemed to turn almost over night and are expecting rain tomorrow. If the wind comes up I will be very busy cleaning them up leaves but them our hosta will have warm blankets too.I share with Myrle and this is how I got into this hosta habit! She shared hosta for leaves.

o

I'm enjoying checking out my hostas to see if they are picture worthy this fall. Here is Crusader.

o

And another. Alex Summers.

o

Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 13:03

Out here where we don't get frosts/freezes to knock down the hostas, they go slowly to sleep, allowing some to totally color up. I came across this photo from 2008 of El Nino in December.

-Babka

Photobucket

o

That sounds like the climate I would like to live in Babka! So do your hosta leaves need to be cut off then? We haven't experienced a frost here yet, but the temperature drop has brought a lot of color change quickly. It is very easy to miss a great photo opportunity (when it comes to hostas anyways). Nice photo.

o

Sergeant Pepper in his autumn colors:

Sergeant Pepper 10-15-12

And some non-hosta autumn colors:

Tiarella Mystic Mist

Tiarella Mystic Mist 10-15-12

Mexican Hats

Mexican Hats 10-15-12

Coreopsis 'Route 66'

Coreopsis Route 66

Aromatic Aster

Aromatic Aster 10-15-12

Aromatic Aster 10-15-12

American Beauty Berry. I grew several of these shrubs from seed two winters ago and they are still in their four inch pots. They are still young yet, and this little one even grew flowers and produced these pretty purple berries, which is why I want to grow them. Next spring I need to get them in the ground, hopefully they survive another winter in pots. The plan is to make a hedgerow of them.

American Beauty Berry 10-15-12

Karen

o

Found a pretty pic of Great Expectations from my former garden - taken last November.

o

Couple of pix.

Spilt Milk

Photobucket

Photobucket

Gold Standard

Photobucket

Hosta and 'Inaba Shidare' Japanese Maple

Photobucket

tj

o

Wow - there are some really great shots on this post! Here are some Sagae pics taken a few days ago.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

ConnieMay

o

Indeed, WOW and DOUBLE WOW.
I think this whole thread is a treasure, and a reminder that the hosta are not a single season plant, but keep on giving.

Thanks to all sharing their beauties with us.

o

I meant "thread" above - not "post"... sorry - shouldn't be watching TV while posting I guess.

ConnieMay

o

Here are a few more:

Guardian Angel
Photobucket

OBL
Photobucket

Fireworks
Photobucket

Whirlwind
Photobucket

Jack of Diamonds
Photobucket

GE
Photobucket

Jewel of the Nile
Photobucket

At the rate that they have been yellowing up - they'll be mush in the next few days.

Connie May

o

Not all my fall color looks that great, but here's one I like. Atlantis in the middle. That's Komodo Dragon at 10 o'clock and Empress Wu at 1:00.
Photobucket
This is a pretty one from last month. Bleeding Heart (dicentra or whatever the new name may be.)
Photobucket

o

Wide Brim

Noid

Photobucket

I don't know about all of you, but I turned into a hostaholic, and now a fall photography hostaholic. Oh my gosh! What next?!

o

Wow. I really do think hosta are a colorful part of the fall garden. Thanks for all the pictures. My must have list continues to grow.

Beverly

o

hehehehehe

Always room for one more Hostaholic, photos and all!
The sense of discovery is so sweet here, in this thread, that perhaps we have one of the most unexpected collections of photos on this forum.

Good show!

o

Most of mine haven't started to color up yet, but here is one of my favorite companion plants, saffron crocus. Yes, it is the saffron spice. The part that is harvested is the bright orange/red stamen.

They reseed and spread well. I have several nice patches.

Sandy

o
RE: Fall Color - Heuchera

Shot 2day

Hh

o
RE: Fall Color - Tricertis

finally blooming

Hh

o

Hostahillbilly: Your last picture made me go outside to check on a new plant I got this spring from a Horticultural Society Plant sale. Toad Lily was the name. Well, a neighborly rabbit decided that it was rather tasty and half of the plant disappeared soon after planting. I put a collar on the remainder. Your picture made me go out to check on the plant and to my surprise it even had one bloom! I hope next year to get many more blooms. It is the same plant as yours I believe.

o

Another fall photo. What an obsession!

Photobucket

o

Kiwi Full Monty is looking interesting.

Sandy

o

The maple turning makes these guys look better...

Photobucket

Blue Angel

Photobucket

...and now that the Spilt Milk is more yellow, it goes well with my Tsuga canadensis 'Bennett'

Photobucket

You can see the leaf at the top of the last pic shows my June is still going strong.

tj

o

Lovin' this thread! How much longer will it get, I wonder? I'm looking at hostas with a new eye because of all these great photos everyone is posting.

I have no conclusive ID on this one - Big Daddy? Elegans? Anyone?

o
RE: Fall Color - Jack-in-the-Pulpit seed pod

Bright!

o
RE: Fall Color - Baneberry

A.K.A. Doll's Eyes

o

Photobucket

Earth Angel

o

I can't seem to stop taking fall photos! Hope you are not getting of me posting. I tried to get a good one of my young Liberty, but sometimes you just can't capture what you want in a photo. But I had to try! I always love to see the mixture of colours.

Photobucket

o

Thanks to everyone for all the gorgeous photos. Mine were just starting to color up when we got zapped by an 18 degree night. No pretty fall hosta color for me, just mush. Maybe next year.

o

I do find the window of opportunity to be limited when it comes to trying to capture a good fall photo. Many of my hostas are now not photo worthy. Just a few left with potential. Just like you said hostaholic2, one cold night and the show is over.

Photobucket

This is Abiqua Blue Crinkles.

o

Seed pods.

o

If we don't get a hard frost, maybe Ringtail seeds will get ripe.

Sandy

o

I'm still at it!

Wolverine? (27/10/12)
NOID - Wolverine?

Sagae (27/10/12)
Sagae

o

Bright Lights?

o

Plantbug and Newhostalady, those last pictures are fantastic inspirations. Beautiful.

We have a cool morning with a lot of wind and I'm waiting to see if any color comes from it. Not yet near 40s but getting closer. We have another month and a few days before our average date of first frost is anticipated. I'm amazed at the number of hosta still growing and looking fine. Some are already sleeping, but they are the exceptions.

o

So I just had to go out to the garden and look for more fall photos. I don't want it to be over!

Photobucket

Thunderbolt?

Photobucket

Blue Mouse Ears has such an intense yellow color. Can't wait til mine is bigger.

Photobucket
Sagae is so photogenic. I didn't know it had such lovely fall coloring. I enjoyed your Sagae photos ConnieMay.

o

Although fall color on hosta are still not my favorite I guess we grab what we can when we know they all will be mush soon. This is what remains of my war paint. His/her? companion statue has been put away for the winter season but is still trying to stand proud alone

o

Not sure I can add anything to this thread, but I did my best today. I took over 125 photos because some were already dormant, some plain ugly, and then I ran across a few which were really "nice" looking. I have to say, some of my hosta show no signs of coloring up, going down for the count, or to vegetate. Some have new growth. One which is all new is one which arrived from Wade Gatton dormant, and it is now a beautiful hosta. I do hope it does not stay growing all winter, like Stained Glass did last year, to its detriment.

That one is Harry Van De Laar. And here is what it looked like today:

o

Very interesting. Thanks for all the information and great photos. More fall coloring than I thought. I started this thread because I had a theory and because I have a fall color garden near my fire pit and patio with hostas.

I had a theory that those with Sieboldiana heritage stand up and color up better. Another theory is that those with more substance hold up better. Some of my hosta just melt in the fall. Thats OK but there are some places where it would be better to have something with a little color.

Last year, sitting around the fire pit, I noticed how bright and beautiful Elegans and Paul's Glory were. This prompted my to buy Hudson Bay and Saint Paul this last spring. It was just dumb luck that I had sited them there. They amused me with their bright yellows contrasting with the red of the Summer Wine Ninebark next to them. Thus started my fall color garden.

I didn't take pictures because we were getting new siding and windows this fall and I was staying out of the way. I should have thought of that before I started this thread. So I hope to reciprocate next spring with my fall pictures of those hosta and my fall color garden and an update on my theories. Thanks again.

Beverly

o

bEV, i apologize for omitting Paul's Glory from my Flickr upload of photos taken yesterday. It was the one which made me go back inside and get the camera. I like it too.

o

....oh yeah, and Essence of Summer. It is a tetraploid of Warwick Essence, very tough hosta, and......it is fragrant.

o

I am sad to say goodbye to my hostas for this year. I kept searching for more fall hosta photo opportunities and found this one. It was taken November 9th! I kept thinking it was June. But then discovered it was Touch of Class.

Photobucket

(I am sorry that some of my previous photos on this thread have been deleted. I didn't mean for that to happen. I was just rearranging my photos.)

o

At this time, I'm saying goodbye to the colorful dying hosta leaves. They are sure to have the last gasp out by now, and here are the latest photos taken just recently. Sorry I forgot to upload here after doing so on Flickr.

Not as spectacular as some which came before, in colder climes, but it is the cool night temps with moisture I think doing the trick.

Sky Dancer
Hosta12Dec002

Bulletproof
Hosta12Dec003

Clear Fork River Valley
Hosta12Dec005

Climax
Hosta12Dec007

Morning Light
Hosta12Dec009

Purple Boots
Hosta12Dec012

o

Just thought I would put back some of my pictures that got deleted now that the thread has been bumped up. Some hostas produce such lovely fall coloring that I enjoy them just as much as I do in the spring and the summer.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Halloween

o

Cannot help but put this shot in here.
Harry Van De Laar, do not think this is its FALL color, because it arrived here from Wade Gatton dormant. That was first week of October. This shot was taken (date shown in corner of photo) with fresh growth and some nice reddish petioles as well. I forget who shared a photo of the plant in full growth but it was looking great.

Oops, I'm seeing quiet lightning to go with the drizzling rain. Might mix a hot toddy and take my sore throat to bed early. G'night folks.

o

anyone know the record on this forum for number of posts, or time frame of staying on the front page?

Aw, there I bumped it up again.

Seriously, when, and for many posts thereafter, I wondered why anyone would want to look at dying Hostas.

OBVIOUSLY, most of us! I will someday try to deny that I joined this mania, but the megabytes of fotos I took and saved, ostensibly as historical records, of this garden dying, will live on forever on fotobukt and *gasp* even here.

What fun we have on the internet, eh?

hh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here