Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beverlymnz4

Fall Color

beverlymnz4
11 years ago

I am very interested in Hosta that have good fall color. A nice seasonal progression. Here is an new one for me that is showing promise. Add your favorites as fall comes your way.

Hudson Bay

Comments (76)

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

hh

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

{{gwi:925480}}

hh

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

It rains here now every other day. My Fall Color right now is every plant covered with wet yellow-red leaves and pine needles. 29 degrees is the forecast for tonight, but thereafter again around 40 at night for 10 days.

• garden_crazy
    11 years ago

Are those really pics from your yards McT & Almost? I am stunned! How beautiful! Here in the midwest those are thought of as places to visit vs. residing. How fortunate to see that every day! -Thanks for sharing.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Yes we are both very fortunate to have this great view off our front yards. Our leaves seemed to turn almost over night and are expecting rain tomorrow. If the wind comes up I will be very busy cleaning them up leaves but them our hosta will have warm blankets too.I share with Myrle and this is how I got into this hosta habit! She shared hosta for leaves.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    11 years ago

I'm enjoying checking out my hostas to see if they are picture worthy this fall. Here is Crusader.

11 years ago

And another. Alex Summers.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Out here where we don't get frosts/freezes to knock down the hostas, they go slowly to sleep, allowing some to totally color up. I came across this photo from 2008 of El Nino in December.

-Babka

{{gwi:1089863}}

11 years ago

That sounds like the climate I would like to live in Babka! So do your hosta leaves need to be cut off then? We haven't experienced a frost here yet, but the temperature drop has brought a lot of color change quickly. It is very easy to miss a great photo opportunity (when it comes to hostas anyways). Nice photo.

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Sergeant Pepper in his autumn colors:

And some non-hosta autumn colors:

Tiarella Mystic Mist

Mexican Hats

Coreopsis 'Route 66'

Aromatic Aster

American Beauty Berry. I grew several of these shrubs from seed two winters ago and they are still in their four inch pots. They are still young yet, and this little one even grew flowers and produced these pretty purple berries, which is why I want to grow them. Next spring I need to get them in the ground, hopefully they survive another winter in pots. The plan is to make a hedgerow of them.

Karen

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Found a pretty pic of Great Expectations from my former garden - taken last November.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Couple of pix.

Spilt Milk

Gold Standard

Hosta and 'Inaba Shidare' Japanese Maple

tj

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    11 years ago

Wow - there are some really great shots on this post! Here are some Sagae pics taken a few days ago.

ConnieMay

• User
    11 years ago

Indeed, WOW and DOUBLE WOW.
    I think this whole thread is a treasure, and a reminder that the hosta are not a single season plant, but keep on giving.

Thanks to all sharing their beauties with us.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    11 years ago

I meant "thread" above - not "post"... sorry - shouldn't be watching TV while posting I guess.

ConnieMay

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    11 years ago

Here are a few more:

Guardian Angel

OBL

Fireworks

Whirlwind

Jack of Diamonds

GE

Jewel of the Nile

At the rate that they have been yellowing up - they'll be mush in the next few days.

Connie May

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    11 years ago

Not all my fall color looks that great, but here's one I like. Atlantis in the middle. That's Komodo Dragon at 10 o'clock and Empress Wu at 1:00.

This is a pretty one from last month. Bleeding Heart (dicentra or whatever the new name may be.)

11 years ago

{{gwi:1089885}}

{{gwi:1089886}}

{{gwi:1089887}}

I don't know about all of you, but I turned into a hostaholic, and now a fall photography hostaholic. Oh my gosh! What next?!

• beverlymnz4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow. I really do think hosta are a colorful part of the fall garden. Thanks for all the pictures. My must have list continues to grow.

Beverly

• User
    11 years ago

hehehehehe

Always room for one more Hostaholic, photos and all!
    The sense of discovery is so sweet here, in this thread, that perhaps we have one of the most unexpected collections of photos on this forum.

Good show!

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Most of mine haven't started to color up yet, but here is one of my favorite companion plants, saffron crocus. Yes, it is the saffron spice. The part that is harvested is the bright orange/red stamen.

They reseed and spread well. I have several nice patches.

Sandy

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

Shot 2day

Hh

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

finally blooming

Hh

11 years ago

Hostahillbilly: Your last picture made me go outside to check on a new plant I got this spring from a Horticultural Society Plant sale. Toad Lily was the name. Well, a neighborly rabbit decided that it was rather tasty and half of the plant disappeared soon after planting. I put a collar on the remainder. Your picture made me go out to check on the plant and to my surprise it even had one bloom! I hope next year to get many more blooms. It is the same plant as yours I believe.

11 years ago

Another fall photo. What an obsession!

{{gwi:1089888}}

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Kiwi Full Monty is looking interesting.

Sandy

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

The maple turning makes these guys look better...

Blue Angel

...and now that the Spilt Milk is more yellow, it goes well with my Tsuga canadensis 'Bennett'

You can see the leaf at the top of the last pic shows my June is still going strong.

tj

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Lovin' this thread! How much longer will it get, I wonder? I'm looking at hostas with a new eye because of all these great photos everyone is posting.

I have no conclusive ID on this one - Big Daddy? Elegans? Anyone?

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

Bright!

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

A.K.A. Doll's Eyes

11 years ago

{{gwi:1089893}}

Earth Angel

11 years ago

I can't seem to stop taking fall photos! Hope you are not getting of me posting. I tried to get a good one of my young Liberty, but sometimes you just can't capture what you want in a photo. But I had to try! I always love to see the mixture of colours.

{{gwi:1089894}}

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all the gorgeous photos. Mine were just starting to color up when we got zapped by an 18 degree night. No pretty fall hosta color for me, just mush. Maybe next year.

11 years ago

I do find the window of opportunity to be limited when it comes to trying to capture a good fall photo. Many of my hostas are now not photo worthy. Just a few left with potential. Just like you said hostaholic2, one cold night and the show is over.

{{gwi:1089895}}

This is Abiqua Blue Crinkles.

• plantbug
    11 years ago

Seed pods.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

If we don't get a hard frost, maybe Ringtail seeds will get ripe.

Sandy

11 years ago

I'm still at it!

NOID - Wolverine?

Sagae

• plantbug
    11 years ago

Bright Lights?

• User
    11 years ago

Plantbug and Newhostalady, those last pictures are fantastic inspirations. Beautiful.

We have a cool morning with a lot of wind and I'm waiting to see if any color comes from it. Not yet near 40s but getting closer. We have another month and a few days before our average date of first frost is anticipated. I'm amazed at the number of hosta still growing and looking fine. Some are already sleeping, but they are the exceptions.

11 years ago

So I just had to go out to the garden and look for more fall photos. I don't want it to be over!

Thunderbolt?

Blue Mouse Ears has such an intense yellow color. Can't wait til mine is bigger.

Sagae is so photogenic. I didn't know it had such lovely fall coloring. I enjoyed your Sagae photos ConnieMay.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Although fall color on hosta are still not my favorite I guess we grab what we can when we know they all will be mush soon. This is what remains of my war paint. His/her? companion statue has been put away for the winter season but is still trying to stand proud alone

• User
    11 years ago

Not sure I can add anything to this thread, but I did my best today. I took over 125 photos because some were already dormant, some plain ugly, and then I ran across a few which were really "nice" looking. I have to say, some of my hosta show no signs of coloring up, going down for the count, or to vegetate. Some have new growth. One which is all new is one which arrived from Wade Gatton dormant, and it is now a beautiful hosta. I do hope it does not stay growing all winter, like Stained Glass did last year, to its detriment.

That one is Harry Van De Laar. And here is what it looked like today:

• beverlymnz4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very interesting. Thanks for all the information and great photos. More fall coloring than I thought. I started this thread because I had a theory and because I have a fall color garden near my fire pit and patio with hostas.

I had a theory that those with Sieboldiana heritage stand up and color up better. Another theory is that those with more substance hold up better. Some of my hosta just melt in the fall. Thats OK but there are some places where it would be better to have something with a little color.

Last year, sitting around the fire pit, I noticed how bright and beautiful Elegans and Paul's Glory were. This prompted my to buy Hudson Bay and Saint Paul this last spring. It was just dumb luck that I had sited them there. They amused me with their bright yellows contrasting with the red of the Summer Wine Ninebark next to them. Thus started my fall color garden.

I didn't take pictures because we were getting new siding and windows this fall and I was staying out of the way. I should have thought of that before I started this thread. So I hope to reciprocate next spring with my fall pictures of those hosta and my fall color garden and an update on my theories. Thanks again.

Beverly

• User
    11 years ago

bEV, i apologize for omitting Paul's Glory from my Flickr upload of photos taken yesterday. It was the one which made me go back inside and get the camera. I like it too.

• User
    11 years ago

....oh yeah, and Essence of Summer. It is a tetraploid of Warwick Essence, very tough hosta, and......it is fragrant.

11 years ago

I am sad to say goodbye to my hostas for this year. I kept searching for more fall hosta photo opportunities and found this one. It was taken November 9th! I kept thinking it was June. But then discovered it was Touch of Class.

(I am sorry that some of my previous photos on this thread have been deleted. I didn't mean for that to happen. I was just rearranging my photos.)

• User
    11 years ago

At this time, I'm saying goodbye to the colorful dying hosta leaves. They are sure to have the last gasp out by now, and here are the latest photos taken just recently. Sorry I forgot to upload here after doing so on Flickr.

Not as spectacular as some which came before, in colder climes, but it is the cool night temps with moisture I think doing the trick.

Sky Dancer

Bulletproof

Clear Fork River Valley

Climax

Morning Light

Purple Boots

11 years ago

Just thought I would put back some of my pictures that got deleted now that the thread has been bumped up. Some hostas produce such lovely fall coloring that I enjoy them just as much as I do in the spring and the summer.

• User
    11 years ago

Cannot help but put this shot in here.
    Harry Van De Laar, do not think this is its FALL color, because it arrived here from Wade Gatton dormant. That was first week of October. This shot was taken (date shown in corner of photo) with fresh growth and some nice reddish petioles as well. I forget who shared a photo of the plant in full growth but it was looking great.

Oops, I'm seeing quiet lightning to go with the drizzling rain. Might mix a hot toddy and take my sore throat to bed early. G'night folks.

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

anyone know the record on this forum for number of posts, or time frame of staying on the front page?

Aw, there I bumped it up again.

Seriously, when, and for many posts thereafter, I wondered why anyone would want to look at dying Hostas.

OBVIOUSLY, most of us! I will someday try to deny that I joined this mania, but the megabytes of fotos I took and saved, ostensibly as historical records, of this garden dying, will live on forever on fotobukt and *gasp* even here.

What fun we have on the internet, eh?

hh