Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasmith

End of Season Growth Spurt

hostasmith
10 years ago

Some of my plants are going crazy. Hopefully it is a sign of great things to come next year.

Fried Bananas

Fried Green Tomatoes

Albomarginata getting its variegation on

Orange Marmalade

Twilight with lots of new growth

Wheee with some big new leaves

Minuteman

Rainforest Sunrise

Seducer putting on some last minute leaves

Group photo of them looking good for the end of the season

Comments (9)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I have quite a few plants starting to shut down for the season, but I also have a few varieties that are still sending up new leaves like yours. Hope they simmer down a little before we get a freeze. Don't know if it's good or bad or neither.

Hope yours come up strong next spring!

Cheers,
    Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Smith studios...I've never paid as much attention to hosta as this year and I attribute it to joining the forum. Having said that, I too have noticed growth spurts in various hosta, and lots of dormant buds developing as well.

New flush of leaves on So Sweet, Jimmy Crack Corn, June, Striptease has a wee tiny crown right in the midst of the mama, new flush on most of my minis, Blue Mouse Ears has a new blue leaf popping up!

I have to go and take a pic of Striptease baby...it is actually showing variation on such a tiny planting! If I hadn't dug it up to pot it (in prep. for move) I would never have seen it.

Like you, I am excited to see what the next growing season will bring.

10 years ago

I don't know if its 'normal' for new growth to occur this late in the season for many hosta, but here is a great example of it in very tiny AlboMarginatas that I babied along..not that I need more as I have at least 5 of them located throughout....there is a dime in one pot to indicate size :-)

10 years ago

I made a mistake..only one AlboMarginata on left, the pot with the dime contains two mini shoots...Cameo and Cherish...which are flushing new leaves. :-)

10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by josephines67 on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 20:15

• User
    10 years ago

Aw, Jo, that little guy with a FLUSH! That's the tiniest example I've ever seen with naked eye, of the will to survive. I remembered these little plants from your earlier posts. Glad to hear the update.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i hope the vigorous late flushes are not a sign of over fertilization ...

plants are supposed to be slowing down with shorter days. and cold nights....

if frost or froze without proper hardening off.. trouble can be brewing ...

but for your sake.. i hope not ...

half of my hosta are dormant in my z5

ken

10 years ago

Hi, Ken. I must be one of the few who does not use fertilizer on my hosta...not even these little guys...can you imagine if I did how vigorous all my plants would be? Hmmmm.. not anything to brag about, is it? :-(. I had better pull my socks up and strive to do for my hosta better next year.

Moc...all the little gaffers are doing well...I even have a flower scape on a teeny Hydon Sunset ...hoping for sunshine so he can bloom! :-) here's a peek at it. It is the last of my hosta to bloom...mama plant has four scapes growing for the mad dash at season's end....next week temps back on the rise...I'll have flowers last week of September..how cool is that?

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

I find this one funny. The plant has gone dormant but still sent up a new flush

American Halo

Guardian Angel

Ken: I have never fertilized my hostas