Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
End of Season Growth Spurt

Posted by smithstudios71 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 15:24

Some of my plants are going crazy. Hopefully it is a sign of great things to come next year.

Fried Bananas
Fried Bananas 9.18.13 photo FriedBananas91813_zps6f689ba7.jpg

Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Green Tomatoes 9.18.13 photo FriedGreenTomatoes91813_zps4d298d09.jpg

Albomarginata getting its variegation on
Undulata Albomarginata 9.18.13 photo UAlbomargenta91813_zpsd07cdf54.jpg

Orange Marmalade
Orange Marmalade 9.18.13 photo OrangeMarmalade91813_zps7a469a7c.jpg

Twilight with lots of new growth
Twighlight 9.18.13 photo Twighlight91813_zpsb8195d77.jpg

Wheee with some big new leaves
Wheee 9.18.13 photo Whee91813_zps277bc1f4.jpg

Minuteman
Minuteman 9.18.13 photo Minuteman91813_zpsb38b0f09.jpg

Rainforest Sunrise
Rainforest Sunrise 9.18.13 photo RainforestSunrise91813_zpsbd4672d6.jpg

Seducer putting on some last minute leaves
Seducer 9.18.13 photo Seducer91813_zpsbb846b1e.jpg

Group photo of them looking good for the end of the season
Group 3 9.18.13 photo GroupPhoto391813_zps3f21e406.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: End of Season Growth Spurt

I have quite a few plants starting to shut down for the season, but I also have a few varieties that are still sending up new leaves like yours. Hope they simmer down a little before we get a freeze. Don't know if it's good or bad or neither.

Hope yours come up strong next spring!

Cheers,
Don B.

o

Smith studios...I've never paid as much attention to hosta as this year and I attribute it to joining the forum. Having said that, I too have noticed growth spurts in various hosta, and lots of dormant buds developing as well.

New flush of leaves on So Sweet, Jimmy Crack Corn, June, Striptease has a wee tiny crown right in the midst of the mama, new flush on most of my minis, Blue Mouse Ears has a new blue leaf popping up!

I have to go and take a pic of Striptease baby...it is actually showing variation on such a tiny planting! If I hadn't dug it up to pot it (in prep. for move) I would never have seen it.

Like you, I am excited to see what the next growing season will bring.

o

I don't know if its 'normal' for new growth to occur this late in the season for many hosta, but here is a great example of it in very tiny AlboMarginatas that I babied along..not that I need more as I have at least 5 of them located throughout....there is a dime in one pot to indicate size :-)

o

I made a mistake..only one AlboMarginata on left, the pot with the dime contains two mini shoots...Cameo and Cherish...which are flushing new leaves. :-)

o

Duplicate

This post was edited by josephines67 on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 20:15

o

Aw, Jo, that little guy with a FLUSH! That's the tiniest example I've ever seen with naked eye, of the will to survive. I remembered these little plants from your earlier posts. Glad to hear the update.

o

i hope the vigorous late flushes are not a sign of over fertilization ...

plants are supposed to be slowing down with shorter days. and cold nights....

if frost or froze without proper hardening off.. trouble can be brewing ...

but for your sake.. i hope not ...

half of my hosta are dormant in my z5

ken

o

Hi, Ken. I must be one of the few who does not use fertilizer on my hosta...not even these little guys...can you imagine if I did how vigorous all my plants would be? Hmmmm.. not anything to brag about, is it? :-(. I had better pull my socks up and strive to do for my hosta better next year.

Moc...all the little gaffers are doing well...I even have a flower scape on a teeny Hydon Sunset ...hoping for sunshine so he can bloom! :-) here's a peek at it. It is the last of my hosta to bloom...mama plant has four scapes growing for the mad dash at season's end....next week temps back on the rise...I'll have flowers last week of September..how cool is that?

o

I find this one funny. The plant has gone dormant but still sent up a new flush

American Halo
American Halo photo DSCF9312.jpg

Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel photo DSCF9293.jpg

Ken: I have never fertilized my hostas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here