Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahosta

Gold Standard problem?

hostahosta
10 years ago

I got this as a division from my Mom 4-5 years ago. Her's are still growing and healthy in her yard. Mine is robust, huge, and gorgeous, but I am worried by some the leaves this year. Wondering if virused. Will show a leaf close up next.

Comments (12)

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The experts out there will probably advise me to test it. I probably should.

But here are my questions: How did it pick up the virus? I don't have any other hosta with virus (that I know about). It has never been divided. I did dig it up to move it once. Source plant is healthy.

What is the worst that will happen if I leave it till next year and see what happens? It is such a lovely, large, mature hosta, I hate to lose it.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

yes it is

its a 5 dollar hosta.. time for this one to go...

and get her a new one....

plant something else in this hole.. no hosta...

and who knows about yours...

ken

and clean the shovel after you dig it out

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

That's definitely a virus...most likely hosta virus X. Here's a picture of a 'Gold Standard' plant that tested positive for virus X. I'd say it looks a lot like your plant. That's a bummer, especially when it's so nice and big. Sorry! :(

Like Ken said, don't plant another hosta into the area that you dig it out of...and be sure to sterilize whatever tools you use around it. Also, throw the plant away in the garbage can as opposed to composting it.

The plant was most likely already sick when your mom purchased it from the store. 'Gold Standard' is probably the hosta most often affected by virus X. Unfortunately, it can take years for symptoms to show up. It would mean that your mom's plant is also infected (as long as there's no way it picked it up in your own garden). Hers just isn't showing any symptoms yet.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 18:44

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, you convinced me. It has to go. Can I never plant another hosta there? I have other hosta nearby (within a couple feet). Will they be affected?

By the way, I already bought another Gold Standard. I knew what I needed to do, was just in denial! Thanks for steering me right.

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

AHHH !! That's some nasty HVX ya' got there !!!

I dread the day I discover HVX in my garden. It is no joke and something that gardeners should be aware of and handle appropriately. Good that you caught it so soon. But certainly donâÂÂt wait until next year to get rid of it.

Frenzy is right - BURN IT ! Don't keep the tissue anywhere near any other hostas. Also, when you dig it out be careful not to tear up the roots any more than you have to. The virus is carried in all live plant tissue.

The reason Ken says you cannot plant anything there again is because of this residual root tissue that will remain when you remove the infected hosta. It is damn near impossible for you to get all the root pieces that would be left behind unless you dig out past the root ring and remove all the soil . . . which is so not necessary or worth it.

Wait 2-3 years (some may say less) and you can plant another hosta there. It only lives in live plant tissue, so if there isn't another hosta there for it to latch on to then you can wait for the residual tissue that is left to rot away naturally.

You can certainly plant another perennial in the spot while you wait for the soil to sterilize, just not another hosta (less you want to chance it).

Best of luck and keep us posted please,

Ludi

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Hostahosta-the main way that the virus spreads is through tools that are used to dig up an infected plant and aren't sterilized. The person then takes the tools with the virus on them and digs into a new plant, inadvertently making a cut in the crown/plant tissue. The virus then is transferred through the cut in the new uninfected plant through the germs that were on the tool. I don't believe that it can actually travel through the ground into your other plants. (In other words, it has to be plant to plant contact.) That's why you have to make sure to sterilize your tools in between uses.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.....

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 20:13

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I have two h. 'August Moon' which showed a little 'bleeding' like that, tested those bleeding spots twice for HVX with Agdia strips, and both tests were negative. 'Gold Standard' creates sports, so perhaps this hosta is on the path of a sport. Removing a large beautiful plant like that is a real downer and a lot of work, why not buy 5 strips from AGDIA and test it.

In case this is HVX, you can reuse that location by excavating it more removing all roots, then lining the hole with several layers of newspaper or landscape fabric, filling it with new soil and planting a hosta. Keep your tools clean and soak/brush with 10% bleach. Remember you are not using the HVX soil (put into garbage), you are only using that location, that real estate. Others have done that, I have done that, new plants do not get HVX.
    Bernd

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

off that thing, plant an astilbe, sleep better at night

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I've just got to add my two cents because this GS came from your "Mom".
    So I'm sentimental...this gorgeous specimen of a hosta deserves a chance and you have your doubts, I can read it in your posts...please invest in a test kit like wisely suggested...then you'll know what to do...I just hate to see this beauty trashed - I would want to be 100% sure before hurting or killing off this one. Just one other opinion. :-)
    Jo

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

To me, that looks like HVX vein bleed 101. I wouldn't say that's a little bleed; In my opinion that's HVX coming on pretty hot and nasty. Sorry to see that on your nice plant...Irresponsible growers, thanks again!! &$$!(*%!!

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 20:59

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Yes, not a shadow of a doubt that is HVX. It was divided 4 - 5 years ago when you cut into Mom's plant. Her's might have it, or something near her plant, or something else in your garden might have it. Remember, not all plants will show symptoms, so there is a good chance you have a carrier in the garden that just isn't showing yet or might never show.

Save the money on testing, there is no doubt here.

Sorry :(

And if you did test and it was negative (highly doubtful) then you can be assured that it is still some kind of a handful of viruses that infect hostas, just not Hosta Virus X - the strips are looking at 1 virus only and there are a lot more that infect them.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I followed it, and GS is gone, in a big black garbage bag. I'll take a good look at Mom's GS next time I am there. I have no idea of the original source of this plant. And watch my garden for others that might be infected. I hope that is the only one!