Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Can't Resist A Challenge From A Nice-Looking Dud

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Hi, all. Lookee what I got!! I know, I've seen the threads, 'Tropical Storm' has the 'DUD' label affixed to it. Call me a masochist, but I saw this one at my local 'Guacamole' retailer today, so I had to pay $7.99 (down from $14.99) and grab it. That's not so much to pay for disappoinment, is it? 8 eyes on this plant. Hmmm, shall I just start counting backwards now? Sure is pretty, and I'm a hostaholic (and stubborn), so what the heck, let's find out if THIS is the individual that will actually grow. I'm ready for failure, and I can always be found at the roulette tables on the occasions I visit Las Vegas. I have a feeling 'Tropical Depression' might have been a better name for this one. : )

Roll 'Em!
Don B.

Comments (12)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

P.S. Psych! You were just wondering where the solid gold-colored sport was, right? I divided it before I snapped the pic. Here it is. Nice-sized. Quite vigorous, it seems. No extra charge. I'll plant this somewhere, too. I also like golds/yellows.

Don B.

EDIT: 'Cause I misspelled 'Psych'!

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 16:33

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Yes, I was wondering where the solid part was going to show up next, but it already happened. Looks like this one has a good start, so will probably grow fine.

Good luck!

Chris

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, this one will get 'Tropical Depression' as it's garden name, as perhaps soon this will be the only reminder that I ever had 'Tropical Storm'. ; P

Man it's hot today!!
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Chris. I'm hopeful, since it's a little bigger than most to start with.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 16:40

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Ohhhh, *that* kind of 'dud'. Like this 'Revolution':

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

since you like freebie gold or yellow ones, look for bargains on Jewel of the Nile:

• User
    10 years ago

If it does it again, Don, name the next one, Tropical Wave....

I like the gold too. It must be nice to have a hosta you know will sport for you. Maybe one day I'll find a nice sport, besides the little greenie growing in my Masquerade pot! Guess I should pull it loose before dormancy arrives.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Ah yes! 'Jewel Of The Nile' Look, it's two plants in one, with one you don't want : )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Tropical Wave'...I like it, Mocc. Actually, I bet you will find a sport in your collection; I have a feeling it will be fragrant, too.

Don B.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Maybe things will go well. So far I'm happy with my Tropical Storm. It has put out one all gold sport, but since many other hostas put out solid sports, that's not enough to put it on my dud list. Right now it looks much better than Rainforest Surprise or Maui Buttercup do. Good luck with your nice looking DUDE.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hope yours continues to do well, MadPlanter. I'm not saying it's a dud because it throws solid sports, I'm saying it's a dud because it's got a reputation for not growing for more than a couple seasons before disappearing. Maybe they are producing better quality TC's now. Let us hope so.

Fingers crossed!

Don B.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Your TS is bigger than mine after two seasons in the ground... I'll bet you'll do fine with it if you don't plant it too deep like I think I did mine. Darn thing should grow better than the all yellow Maui Buttercups - but it sounds like I'm not the only one finding it slow...

I'm betting all those yellow sports are going to end up looking like Maui Buttercups. I've grown a number of MB from tc and like TS and Rainforest Sunrise, their childish and adolescent leaves and structures don't look much like the mature plants. So I'm going to just pull them off and plant them nearby... I think we'll end up with lots of MB-lookalikes...

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996