Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

What if pods don't ripen?

bkay2000
10 years ago

I have pods that are still green after being on the plant for 3 months. I bought a fortunei aureomarginata in early spring, and it bloomed promptly. I'm sure it had pods by June 1, if not earlier, but it and every other pod I have is still green.

We have about 10 more weeks before the average first killing frost, so I have time to wait. It seems like the early ones should be ripe, though.

Does it mean anything other than they just aren't ripe yet?

bk

Comments (28)

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

The pods on my Wheee are small and green and have been there since maybe May 1st if not in April. And my FA's pod has not ripened either and it's been there since June, as well. It's much larger than the Wheee's pods. Does that mean anything?

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    10 years ago

I had several pods on my mutated London Fog and when I went out this morning noticed only one pod remained! I don't want to take any chances so I have cut the scape and put it in sugar water to mature in the house...hopefully this works.
    I found a thread that may be useful for you BK...looks like you don't need to wait for the pods to turn brown...I have no personal experience with this though.

Connie May

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0908344510691.html

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I read that, Connie. Thank you. It seems to imply that when the bottom pods turn brown, the others are ripe. I guess I need some brown paper bags even if they aren't turning brown.

bk

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Thanks for this posting I just checked hosta pods again! My first crosses this year have pods which are 9 weeks old, the lower ones started to turn yellow, so I brought the scapes in for drying in the cool and dry basement (de-humidified) inside letter envelopes. Others are only 5 weeks old and still all green.

Josh Spece of In the Country Garden and Gifts has written many articles, several about hybridizing, including about harvesting seeds, see the link.
    Bernd

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvesting Hosta Seeds

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Good luck with your crosses, Bernd!

Don B.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

bkay,

Some people leave them on the plant until they begin to get brown and open at the bottom. Others harvest pods after 8 weeks and dry them out in paper bags or envelopes inside. Either will work. If you let them turn brown, you have to be vigilant to make sure they don't spill all over the ground.

Steve

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

To protect the pods on the plants, I cut some aluminum screening into squares & rectangles and wrapped the pod & stem with the screening. Then, I stapled the screen together at the top, bottom & sides to form a protective pouch around the pods. Any desktop paper stapler will work but I used my trusty Ace Clipper pliers type stapler.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

This year I waited until the pods were turning seed brown and just snipped them off and popped them under the parent plant to see what may happen. We are going south this winter and don't have the time to try to grow them. I found some tiny plants that grew from seed last season, not sure who they came from so I am sure just green butonder how many I weeded out first. Some made seed others looked like they didn't and some are still not ripe yet.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I felt better have those pods in the house, also put traps up for mice in the basement, you never know. Some areas might have frost tonight, forecast is 37 degrees, so it is good to have them safe. Plus we have squirrels looking for food, just caught 2 in a trap in one day, but do keep traps closed now. Bernd

• esox48
    10 years ago

I agree with Steve. After eight weeks, they are done. Just harvest them regardless of the color. Put them in an envelope until you are ready to plant them. By then, many will have broken open. If not, just break them open. The seeds will be black.

Most of mine are green when I take them off the plant. That's a good thing.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

As of today, September 5th, the 8 week prior date is July 11th. Anything that was dabbed on or before that date gets inspected and once the last flower of the scape reaches the 8 week point, it gets harvested. Cleaning the pods will happen after frost in October.

Steve

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone for your help.

I think I'll package up the ones I'm sure are older than 8 weeks. I will wait until October 1 for the last few that I'm not sure of the date they set.

I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do, as I don't have a place to set up a seed growing nursery and lights this winter. I"m sure I'll figure it out before then, though.

bk

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Setting up that "place to set up a seed growing nursery and lights this winter" is easier than you might think. I have a shelf in the basement which is 4 ft long, and a shelf above it from which I hang a 4 ft long shop light. That arrangement holds two 20x10 in seedling trays. In those trays I have various pots or seedling packs which I had sterilized in a bleach bath in the kitchen sink.

Other details for growing seedlings this winter you can find in many places, for example in Josh Spece's series about growing hosta seedlings, see above link.

I had two hybridizing goals this year, a large blue streaked hosta and a large yellow one with red petioles. Per my above comment I just harvested the pods from two streakers on which I used pollen from large blue ones. The pods on a S&S with pollen from a red-petiole hosta are not ripe yet, only 4 1/2 weeks ago. I will probably have a lot more seedlings than I need in those 2 trays, even after I cull all greenies. So I have to cull strictly, I only want 50 or so seedlings in May.

I will sow those seeds at the beginning of November (streakers) and later in December (S&S). This will be an interesting winter for me.
    Bernd

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have no particular goals. I probably won't do it again. I just want to see it for myself - what happens, how long does it take?... that kind of thing. Any seedling would be great. I'd love to raise a solid color - or not - whatever happens. Of course, I'll have to start a bunch to end up with that "one" that makes it. I would hope it could be my seed, but it might be smart to buy some "insurance" seeds.

bk

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

this is an interesting thread

2 years ago my wife give me a ration of $h!t because the deer ate the seed pods from a cool streaked lakeside mom 1 day before I was thinking of harvesting

has anyone tried to save these seed pods by planting them in sugar water, the scapes?

hh

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

this is an interesting thread

2 years ago my wife give me a ration of $h!t because the deer ate the seed pods from a cool streaked lakeside mom 1 day before I was thinking of harvesting

has anyone tried to save these seed pods by planting them in sugar water, the scapes?

hh

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

So, my 'Guardian Angel' has some big, fat seed pods. If the seeds are viable, and I save them and grow them, the overwhelming probability is I'll just get green plants with a form like GA, right? Is that how it'll generally work without a streaked parent? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I obviously know squat about hosta from seeds.

Thanks,
    Don B.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Don, I am certainly not an expert, but I read somewhere that 'Guardian Angel' is considered to have some streaking, though in the list I have of streakers it is not on. I have two which are only a few years old. You will probably get a lot of green plants, some blue, a few yellow. Most of the seeds will be self pollinated. Any leaf form of GA will probably only appear lateron, not in the first months.
    Bernd

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

b4 u throw ðallð the plain ones in the compost, read the history of 'Spilt Milk' or even 'One Man's Treasure' . . .

Also think about all the Hostas you've seen that don't show off until mature.

This assumes you have room to grow them on, and the years of patience.

Here's a few rows a'waiting:

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

this one is starting to show satiny

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

variagation happens rarely, but does:

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

odd color shades may become interesting...

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

best wishes for y'alls seedlings

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Wishing I was organized like so many of you, then I'd know how old these pods are...

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Here's a Dorothy Benedict OP seedling - see, good parents and perserverence prevail.

I'll probably only use one or two of those pods, so someone should remind me in about 6 weeks to offer the rest if them here, please.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

*Please* set seed - getting late and not looking good.

• User
    10 years ago

I notice in Josh's article that he says they will continue to mature if the entire scape is cut and stood in a jar of sugar water.

It is interesting that those scapes are as tough as they are. They take the wind, they take hard rains. So I guess they provide some nourishment to the seeds as they absorb the last bit of moisture through the stems of the scapes. Next time, I'll cut the scape as long as I can. And pick up some sugar when we shop next.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Personally, I like the green ones and who know ..