Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

My hosta garden is ready for fall

brandys_garden
10 years ago

Most are holding up pretty good. You can definitely tell who was forced to come up early, though, in greenhouses to be able to sell asap in March/April!

In other news, I am ordering from Hallsons on Saturday my long awaited Irish Luck and I believe Radiant Star. So I will keep you updated on it and share pics as much as I can of them and my bonus, whatever it may be from now until winter.

Here is U. Albomarginata and Luna Moth (both holding up very well) and my Fall scarecrow, Lennie, that I awoke from his slumber yesterday and displayed him once again.

Wheee is about ready for a nap. :( I am also checking her for stuff because I'm worried about her. Any ideas?

My patio babies are doing great!!

My by the patio babies are doing good too... Except Pauls Glory. I am worried about him, too.

My Dream Queen (lost another leaf but still doing better) and Fragrant Blue

My Midwest Magic is already turning yellow

Minuteman is doing excellent

Mama Mia is looking good, too!

My fire island has added 3 more leaves so that's 14 leaves in the last month!

And here is Luna Moth... Still a crowning jewel and Albomarginata by themselves.

In case you are interested... My only 2 tomatoes I got from my tomato plant are ripe now... Small but ripe.

And, a cool spider on Albomarginata's leaf

Comments (10)

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

nice picture series thank you! - looks like wheee! might want a bigger pot

here's our 'greeter' :at the entrance to the gardens:

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

the front wheee! was sitting right here in the Sun all summer - the back one in the shade all summer both in pots , decisions decisions where to plant...

• dg
    10 years ago

That's one crazy scape on Fire Island!
    :-)
    Deb

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Paul's Glory just goes to crap like that. It's the one hosta that I regret buying. I moved it last year to a spot where I don't have to look at it. Shoulda' just tossed in far out in the woods along with Gold Standard which does the same thing. No surprise since PG is a sport of Gold Standard.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am putting Wheee in a bigger pot next weekend and putting mums in the one it's currently in. As for Paul's Glory, I had been told that! :(

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Paul's Glory'? Sport of 'Perry's True Blue'. I'm lucky; I have a pair of PG and they've held up OK. They take sun here well.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don, yea Fire Islands scape is pretty crazy. I didn't cut it because it was pretty much the whole plant until about a month ago.. And it's AWESOME, right?! PUD is pretty much bleached white with the exception of the newer leaves which are still yellow or greenish yellow. That was unexpected. I hear it's OK, though? It's just had too much sun and heat this year.

PG, well I don't know, The roots look good and the crown. No rot or anything. No signs anyway. I think it is just tired?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hey, Brandy! Your hosta are doing well overall...good growth...I really like the " look at me" flower scape on your Fire Island. It's so out there. I just wanted to say how yummy your tomatoes look too. :-). Did you BLT them or salad?
    HH...love, love your greeter!
    Can't get enough of these pics. Still pondering Paul's Glory....

I thought my Whirlwind was whirling down for the summer, what with yellow leaves n all, but all it wanted was more water! Looks great now but thanks to my failure to provide sufficient water, the plant is reduced by four leaves...a significant reduction considering its slow growth in my garden. Otherwise, all good heading into fall.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josephine, I have been watering it as much as I can. It's in the grey area this time of year, where you're supposed to stop watering as much but not stop yet. It's been so hot and HUMID here.

I don't know if PG will be back next year? It's looking pretty awful right now. But Mama Mia came back and she was in worse shape than him when I got her.

Picked out the larger pot for the wheee. I pick it up Friday. And I'm getting some mums. They will go in the pot the wheee is currently in.

I just ate the tomatoes like a peach. I love homegrown tomatoes. I could eat them all day long and nothing else. :)

• jel48
    10 years ago

Love the scarecrows in your garden :-)