Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Very Wet Hosta Pics...

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Hi all,

Wow, It hasn't stopped raining for 2 days, and it looks like it'll go on with no break for another 24 hours or so. Many mountain communities have been wrecked, and Boulder, Longmont and surrounding towns are half-wrecked, with more carnage sure to come. I've been working in Lyons, Colorado for the last couple of weeks, and I could not get there today because every road in was washed away and/or underwater. Mountain rescue teams still can't get to most areas, helicopters are still grounded because of fog and low cloud ceiling. Our home is in about the best location to deal with this kind of rain, we are in a safe area, water is rolling DOWN the hills here and not accumulating, thankfully, so we'll just stay at home for awhile. Not sure how much coverage these storms are getting nationally, but it's pretty bad in a lot of areas. Flash flood warnings/watches from Wyoming to New Mexico 'til I think Midnight, I've lived in Colorado for 8 years and have never seen rain close to this volume. It just won't stop!

Hostas are happy though, I had to go take some pics...

Regards,
Don B.

'Christmas Tree'

Comments (42)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Mister Watson' is glowing today!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think 'Deliverance' is gonna be a good one.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Sum Of All'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally got a decent close-up of 'Fair Maiden'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Austin Dickinson' with a tiny 'The Shining'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Blue Hawaii'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Dick Ward'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Dream Queen'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Deep Blue Sea'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A sprout of 'Key West'...Good things to come...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'September Sun'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Gosan Sunproof'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Sentimental Journey'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Chesapeake Bay'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bloom, 'Fujibotan', bloom!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The stubborn buds of 'Fujibotan'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Reptilian'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Spilt Milk'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Royal Tapestry'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Dark Shadows' on the left, next to 'Green Gold'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Great Arrival'.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And 'Journey's End'. And that's the end.

Thanks for looking...

Don B.
    Wet Westminster, CO.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

We are definitely seeing your area's plight on the news in my neck of the woods! Thoughts and prayers your way. I know those western water tables and aquifers can use the boost, but its a rough way to get it!

Quick thought...anyone see Ludi around here lately? Last I remember hearing from him was early in the season when we Easterners were getting all the rain. Ludi, hop on that ladder again and show us your lovely collection!

Don, your pics are a who's who of the order I placed today. Which makes sense, as it is an order YOU are entirely to blame (/thank) for! You sent me in Green Mtns direction, you posted the had-to-have-it photo of Fair Maiden...what else could I do? :)

I ordered:

Fair Maiden
    Deep Blue Sea
    Reptilian
    Chesapeake Bay
    Niagara Falls
    Silver Bay
    Second Wind

I'm in a solid blue/green and textured phase for sure! Thanks for the photos!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by josephines67 on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 18:09

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Is it possible? Your hosta look scrumptious wet too!

THANK GOD you are up high!!! I Just viewed videos on youtube re flash flooding in Boulder....university students are tubing in tunnels! A young woman hurt herself slipping and sliding...Three people reported killed....this is just awful...more than 11inches of rainfall....I hope people stay indoors as urged and stay safe . . . it is dangerous out there.

Stay dry, Don!
    Jo

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, we're not going anywhere for awhile, guys, just gonna hang out and wait for the rain to stop. Nice order, Jadie; and 'You're very welcome' : )

Jo, I didn't realize we've had 11 inches of rain in this short time span. That's nearly a YEAR'S worth for the area. Boy oh boy. I love rain, but this arid environment can't take an annual amount in a couple days. Things just...wash right away.

Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

And I'm feeling oh so guilty because I want it to rain here in DE! Glad you are safe and sound, Don, and that your hosta are thriving. I'm definitely loving that 'Fair Maiden' of yours.

DD

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't feel guilty, Donna, I wish for rain all the time, it's needed everywhere...Just one of those '100-Year Events', as officials here have begun to call it...Just gotta ride it out...

'Fair Maiden' has become one of my very favorite hostas. To see it's leaves up close with your own eyes is a treat. I got it mainly because it was inexpensive, and I wanted some small varieties to plant under larger hosta. It's easily beautiful enough to stand on it's own as a specimen, little or not, in my opinion.

Regards,
    Don B.

• jamie81
    10 years ago

Glad you are safe Don. We were just watching this on the news. Amazing!!! So much rain. And fires in New Jersey.

Donna, you are not the only one wishing for rain. Everyone in MN is praying for rain too. Not as much as Colorado, just nice normal rain.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Don, sorry to see all these videos about the flooding in Colorado! In upstate NY we had a lot of flooding via tropical storms the last years, had a lot of sad stories too. Good that you are safe!

On the other hand, it is good to get some rain, we had 3 inches the last days. I upset some people sometimes when they say that they like a current weather because it is warm with a lot of sun, and I say my best weather is when it rains because of the garden and no watering with sprinklers required. Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 8:39

• jamie81
    10 years ago

By the way, Don, your hostas are beautiful. The only one I really know about is September Sun. One of my originals, probably 15 years old, and a monster. I keep dividing it in half cuz its too big, and the next year it comes back just as huge.

It is in full sun, and growing next to the driveway, in sand.

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

Have seen your plight on the news. Hope for everyone's safety. Your hosta are wet and shiny, and pretty. They must be loving the rain.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jamie, my 'September Sun' went from the shipping box right into sun from about 11 am til dusk. Got it not quite two months ago, I think. I am shocked that it didn't burn more than the little bit around the margins. I figured it would fry this season, and then be OK next season. No big deal for this plant. It's a beast, I'm loving it!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Bill Brincka', but I call him lil Willie B. : )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The hanging petunias love all the rainwater, too.

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Glad you are getting some rain there,Don,but nobody needs as much as your area is getting. Around here,we finally had a stretch where it wasn't raining,although it has returned and is raining as I types this. We are 28 inches above normal for the year already,and the year is not over! Stay dry! Phil

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Phil...Man, if it rained 1/4 as much in the spring/summer as it has here in the last 3 days, I'd never have to break out the hose!! Appreciate it HostaFreak; It has to stop sometime!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jadie,

No, I'm sorry to say that Ludi has not posted on this forum for quite a while. Where is that young man? I just hope he's OK.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One little plantaginea. I have an area in my backyard that gets heavy sun. It was a wasted space so I collected good-sized stones and made a wall of sorts. Here's the idea; I'll pack it with many plantaginea, and make a zone of EXTREME fragrance with those big, big fragrant flowers : ) Heh heh heh...Where is that pic? I'll look for it and post it in a sec...

EDIT: Can't find any pics of the rock wall/bed. I'll take some pics tomorrow, weather permitting, and show you what I mean.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 23:37

• jel48
    10 years ago

Thoughts and prayers are going out for everyone in Colorado. I've been seeing reports, videos, etc, on the news and it looks awful. Glad you're up high and out of harm's way!

• idiothe
    10 years ago

stay safe, Don...

hard to look out at our drought-ravaged gardens and look at a weather report with no percentage of rain likelihood above 30% for another 10 days! ... and then to hear about parts of Colorado washing away.

thanks for the pics...

• User
    10 years ago

We've had much rain all summer, which was a blessing for the hosta. Some were lost due to the wetness, high humidity, and heat too. However, we had no temps over 100 that I know of. Other places were much hotter, even New England. Then, consider that we are more accustomed to having torrential downpours, sometimes as part of our "afternoon thunderstorms." When we have the flash floods, it is usually in areas where they paved too much and the low spots always flood. We are not on mountainous terrain, rather flat country with some hills now and then. And the water over the years has created its own pathways to the river and then the Bay and then the Gulf.

I've listened to the news about Boulder, and considered that you are on high ground, Don, but sometimes even high ground can have problems with too much water for storm drains to carry. Kids can get into trouble playing near drainage canals etc. Glad to hear that you are pretty much insulated from this spate of wetness.

I always enjoy having the rain, it tends to cool things down and that is good. The banana trees have multiple stalks this year, thriving on the rain. My hosta are happy in the shade of the tropical plants scattered around the garden for their benefit. We've been known to get 15 inches of rain in a 24 hour period, and one such occasion, when I was working locally, I saw the VW bug behind me start floating out of line at the traffic light. The driver jumped out and pushed his car back into line. Totally memorable sight, and funny too.

This week we have NO rain. I'm hoping for some this afternoon, so I don't have to water the garden. Your hosta look wonderful, Don. Glad to see the Mr.Watson looking so good, and your Dick Ward....both of those are very strong plants with my favorite coloring and margins. Also my Princess Anastasia looks good, despite signs of something chomping on the leaves a bit. Doesn't seem to phase it though. I'll add a picture later, since I'm typing on my Kindle FIRE and I have no pictures on it yet, but will try to figure out how to tap into the Flickr account for HTML code.