Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolwoh

Help Identifying this Hosta

I love the heart shaped leaves on this mature hosta. You can see from the yard stick how large it is. I wish I had taken a picture when it was in bloom. Can anyone help me identify it? Thanks! (P.S. Please ignore the wilting heuchera in the background. I've taken a division and it hasn't taken root yet.)

Comments (12)

• carolwoh (Zone 6, Akron, OH) Weber
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a close up of one of the leaves.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

venucosa??

bloom time would have really helped...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

How tall is it? About 15 inches? It looks to me less like ventricosa and more a nakiana type. Maybe Candy Hearts or Jade Tiara.

Steve

• User
    9 years ago

My Candy Hearts is wet here, the leaves are normally not shiny that way. Mine arrived in 2013, so it is not mature yet. It bloomed in mid June last year, I did not get a picture of it this year. But the blooms appeared nearly white.

I think Candy Hearts is a good estimate.

9 years ago

has it been there decades ...

or could it be a named variety.. purchased within the last 5 to 10 years??

it matters as to what the name may possibly be ...

ken

ps: what heuchera?? ... if you hadnt mentioned it.. i wouldnt have seen it.. where do you think you are.. ??? ... this is the die hard hosta forum .. lol...

Original Author
    9 years ago

The height of this hosta is only about 12 inches. It flowered in July and the blooms were a pale purple.

I've looked up the suggested hostas. Venucosa doesn't have enough veins, and doesn't look quite right. I couldn't find Jade Tiara in the hosta library. Candy Hearts seems to be the closest.

9 years ago

i would call candy hearts.. a collectors hosta.. and wonder who was collecting hosta so as for it to show up in your garden????

though i see ruh reg'd it .... since you are in OH ... did you ever shop ruhs place???

ken

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, I was given this hosta about ten years ago before I realized what hostas were and really understood just what they could do to you.

Since retiring three years ago, I have begun gardening and have just this year started my hosta obsession. It's really bothering me now that I have about a dozen hosta that I can't identify. A couple I have been able to identify with the help of this forum. I should just enjoy them, but all the better if I know what they are.

9 years ago

well.. you can also throw them away to be replaced by named varieties.. as you need the space ...

10 years old... was the giver by a collector????

i think.. there are only about a thousand named green hosta ... unless it jumps out of the ground.. and smacks one of us in the face ... you may never know its real name ...

but do try again.. the minute it flowers next season ... that gives some of us.. a chance to run outside.. and compare green plants that flower in the same moment ...

the only way.. to insure a name.. is to buy from a knowledgeable hosta seller... and label and map your hosta ... i like to say.. a $100 hosta without a name tag.. is a 5 dollar hosta ... but that said.. there are the ten foot rule hosta ... though not many of them are just green [its on the FAQ page]

ken

ps: and if it does jump out of the ground and assault you .. get a ten foot pole.. and beat it to death.. and get it off the property ... thats a little to aggressive.. for me.. lol ...

pps: and there is always the chance.. it was a rogue seedling.. complicating all this ....

• brucebanyaihsta
    9 years ago

Ken and others,

Candy Hearts was a good seller in the 1980's for us regular hosta growers as it was vigorous and bloomed heavy, with the self-described heart shaped leaf.

Grew well in the ground from divisions as well, before tissue culture.

Not venucosa.

Bruce

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I found Jade Tiara by using google. Your hosta looks like Jade Tiara, too. Not much info out there about it. I'm guessing it has 6 to 8 veins (It sported from Golden Tiara and it has 6 to 8 veins) and is shiny underneath.

I'd be comfortable calling it Candy Hearts.

bk

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm happy to accept the identification of Candy Hearts and move on to my next NOID. Either way I love this heart shaped beauty and am glad to have it in my garden.