Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyl345

what else does ammonia kill?

phyl345
15 years ago

today i sprayed the ammonia/water solution under all my potted plants that are sitting right on the ground ~~ ick, ick, ick ~~ but, my question is: there are lots of living *things* scrambling out of the way as the slugs melt ~~ will they (whatever *they* are) die too?

there were alot of really tiny, wiggley, whitish worms that i wondered if they might be baby angleworms? ~~ wouldn't want to be killing those ~~

does sluggo kill anything besides the slugs?

thanks, phyl

Comments (7)

• sassy7142
    15 years ago

As I have posted before, last year while spraying with the ammonia/water solution I accidently sprayed a big toad.
    It squirmed around like it was on fire.
    I picked it up, brought it in the house and gave it a bath before releasing it.
    I don't know if it recovered or died.
    I do believe the solution really caused it a lot of pain.

• papou
    15 years ago

It depends on the concentration of ammonia. Diluted to 1:10 your first objective is to kill SLUGS and ammonia is the perfect method IMHO. Sure it might affect worms...but there's a lot out there underground.

Papou

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

"Sure it might affect worms...but there's a lot out there underground."
    Papou

True and it affects the soil organisms it comes in contact with, the good news is the soil is a huge buffer and will neutralize the affect quickly and recover leaving a small charge of nitrogen. The nitrogen is not worth the bad affect if that is the only reason used.

So, it is affective as a slug killer with minimum ill affect.

IÂm waiting for the overall affect of sluggo type products and since sluggo is longer lasting it may cause problems that ammonia does not. The problem with chemicals is it is hard to get independent information.

• phyl345
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sassy ~~ i had already read your toad/bath story ~~ it put a big grin on my face!

papou & esther ~~ thank you ~~ it sounds like i might indeed be killing *good* stuff too; but what's a girl to do with soooo many slugs?!?

i put sluggo out today ~~ i really get creeped out watching the *melting process* ~~ now i won't have to see them meet their demise ~~ thanks, phyl

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

Caffeine as a deterent or slug killer found to be ineffective.

Here is a link that might be useful: more on slugs

• msjo
    15 years ago

Some interesting ideas on Slug Patrol and control.

My largest garden backs up to the woods. Most of which belongs to a neighbor and it probably has 100 trees downed and other debris. It is not maintained, so it probably has a million slugs!

Ms Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: Slugs

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

My largest garden backs up to the woods. Most of which belongs to a neighbor and it probably has 100 trees downed and other debris. It is not maintained, so it probably has a million slugs!
    Ms Jo

Slugs go where they find food, no more or less than most places. They are attracted to food sources and we know they have some method of finding food because we can attract and trap with beer etc.

Same as HVX, papou and others give good slug control methods.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida