Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19796976

Great Expectations - see you again in 2015...I hope.

User
9 years ago

Here's where I show how GE was faltering in a big bed and I almost weeded it by accident when pulling weeds before mulching. You can see how I ripped a couple of leaves off that pathetic little hosta in the ground. I have to give it props for coming back after a hideous winter, but I think it was the same size if not smaller than last summer. There was another near it that disappeared completely.

So I decided to throw it in a pot and let it survive or die, knowing how notoriously difficult they can be. Well it was happy in the pot. I don't even know what media was in the pot - it was mostly some dirt from the front yard I think because I had temporarily stuck a Wide Brim in there waiting to transplant it, so it wasn't potting mix or anything like that.
EDITED TO ADD: As I think about this pot, I do remember grabbing some handfuls of perlite to mix in the dirt because I was afraid it would be too heavy by itself and I was out of potting soil. So I DID add something to the dirt.

It's about the same amount of sun, probably a little more morning and some dappled noon-early afternoon sun. I read they like to be root bound, but I don't think it is yet.
So here's where I go on record with my 2014 GE and see if it comes back in 2015 and what it looks like next year!
These pictures are from May to September. You can see the decline is starting already here as you can see from a couple of leaves. Here's hoping it come back next year, but I think I can hear Ken scoffing at my hope already. :)

This post was edited by ThistleAndMaize on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 17:25

Comments (5)