Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_on

H. 'Lakeside Foaming Sea'

jan_on zone 5b
11 years ago

This little guy is just new to me, and not listed in HL - don't know what to expect, but it sure is a bright spot in a dark corner just now and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Jan

{{gwi:1091146}}

Comments (23)

• User
    11 years ago

Breath-taking color! And a smooth leaf with only moderate depth to the veins. I too wonder what it will do for you in another year.

Hostapedia does not have a photo of it, but on p. 530 it has a description. It was a 2002 AHS registration to Mary Chastain. Origin was an unnamed seedling x 'Sun Glow'

Description: 18" high x 46" wide mound of brilliant gold foliage. LEAVES 13" long x 7.25" wide with 15 vein pairs. Slight to moderate corrugation...thin underleaf bloom....pale lavender flowers in July...limited availability. Zilis' comment..."should be considered one of the best golds in the Lakeside series."

Then looking it up at MYHOSTAS.BE quote:
    "Bright color depicting the color of the sea's turbulence at the stern of a ship. White flowers are produced on this heavy substance plant"....
    MYHOSTAS.BE takes its descriptive text from many sources, do not know where this came from. But some discrepancy about flower color. And the Hostapedia's description did not include mention of "heavy substance." So that is something you might can tell for yourself anyway.

Seems to me from what I see, you have a winner there, Jan!

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

moccasin - thanks so much for the info. I have bookmarked MYHOSTAS.BE, and one of these years I should gift myself with a Hostapedia. Now I'm really optimistic about this plant!
    Jan

• User
    11 years ago

Jan, I'd think it a welcome addition to most gardens too.

I take exception to that rather fanciful description which MYHOSTAS.BE included, "the color of the sea's turbulence at the stern of a ship." It takes a sailor, not a gardener, to figure out the meaning.

hmmmm, not any resemblance to SEA TURBULENCE but to SHIP CREATED TURBULENCE. Then assume the ship/vessel might be in very shallow water over a sandy bottom, and that turbulence is called "wheel wash" and it is foamy because it is aerated.

The name brings back memories of my days at sea. And I'm adding it to my gold hosta wish list. :)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

I saw that listed plant somewhere but I cannot remember where. I would like to see how much sun it would like. Great looking plant. I will also have to put it on my wish list.

It is International Talk Like A Pirate Day. Arg! Paula

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Moccasin,

I think you mean prop wash.

Jon

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Neither H.'Wheel Wash' nor H. 'Prop Wash' sound as pretty as H.'Foaming Sea', but perhaps they'll make the next crop of new cultivars! Then we'll know for sure that the hybridizers read this forum.
    Jan

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

I'm surprised that, as yet, no one has asked where this was obtained ;-)

Nice bright!

hh

• User
    11 years ago

HH, isn't it Canadian, I'm assuming? Other than that, it is listed in HOSTA FINDER from several sources.

And Jonny, some do call it prop wash, but us old salts always refer to those props as "wheels" and thus wheel wash.

• User
    11 years ago

Jan, how did I miss your post! That is cute......

Years ago at MoccasinLanding I had a rose named 'Sea Foam' and it was a creamy white blossom that I loved.

And I totally agree, there is much beauty in the sound of 'Foaming Sea.'

Just for the sake of knowing, where DID you get this hosta?
    :)

• irawon
    11 years ago

Hi Jan, I planted my lakeside Foaming Sea last summer. It was rather expensive compared to other hostas. This picture was taken on July 12. That's Whee in a pot waiting to be planted.

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I bought 'Foaming Sea' at Whitehouse Nursery in Almonte Ontario (near Ottawa), so perhaps irawon's came from the same source. It cost $16 less 30% at the season end sale in early September. I didn't realize that it isn't very common.
    Jan

• irawon
    11 years ago

Jan, great price. I bought mine at Rideau Woodland Ramble (RWR), $26.00 smackaroos. Whitehouse is good too. I have good luck with the hostas from both Whitehouse and RWR. I've gotten some good deals from RWR in the past too. Guess sometimes the better prices are end of season. Hope yours does well.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Moccasin,

Probably a local distinction between "wheel wash" and "prop wash". I'm thinking wheel wash might have derived from paddle wheel steamers. Growing up in New Bedford, there were some paddle wheel steamships long ago (even before my time) but unlikely to have been operated in shallow water which led to "wheel wash" never becoming common or existent around here to my knowledge.

I can imagine wheel wash was common on Mississippi steamboats navigating the shifting sand bars.

Jon

• User
    11 years ago

Could be a "local" distinction, but the terms are interchangeable. The props/wheels were also called "screws", and we said our vessel had two, three, four, five, or six "screws" which also meant how many props and engines powered the vessel. For 12 of my 20 years working on boats, I was master of a 110 foot 4-screw crew boat, which made 20-22 knots depending on the rpms set for the engines. The terms may be "local" to the Gulf Coast mariners, brothers of the rivermen, who carry a different inland license and we carry upon oceans license and operate different kind of vessels. You won't catch a stern paddlewheeler offshore, although in the 19th century they had SIDE wheelers which could help power an ocean-going vessel.

I had the pleasure of visiting New Bedford twice, once before PERFECT STORM made its impact on the town, and after when it had cruise ships sitting in the harbor. And, it was always my dream to visit Mystic Seaport--as any person who loves the seafaring life would tend to be awed by the traditions preserved there. We toured the whaling vessel, Charles B. Morgan, now restored or in the process. What a beautiful vessel it was, and it was a working whaler in its day, with big kettles fired up on deck to boil the blubber into oil. A sailor fears a fire on-board, yet they lived and worked with fire every day, and lived to tell the tales.

I worked on a diesel fired paddlewheeler yacht for some time, and loved the job, but the 110 foot vessel was cumbersome and not very maneuverable. However, what a joy it was to sunbathe on the Texas deck and watch the riverbanks go slowly by, once we were underway and going straight ahead.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

The paddlewheeled ships from here were side wheelers. The last of which were the Steamship Authority ships that went from New Bedford to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. There was no service from NB for many years. About 10-15 years ago there was an old steamsip tracking the route through the Elizabeth Islands that went to MV only. Once, on a trip from Davey's Locker (good seafood along the Acushnet River, starting point for the MV Schamonchi; now a party boat in NY City, sad) we were sailing back (motor scooter tour of the island) and one of the gals asked the captain if she could go up alongside the bridge to take a picture of the sunset. Captain Kevin invited us (3, eventually all 4) up and we went inside. We stayed up in the bridge and Captain Kevin asked one of the gals (my Admin. Ass't) no romance, way too young and far to cute for me; but great friends, even to this day. I also took the wheel for quite a while, Cap'n Kevin then let me stay at the helm and navigate (as he watched over my shoulder) around a few lobster pots and let me take the turn around the Butler's Flat Lighthouse towards the dock at Davey's Locker.

What a great time. You may now refer to me as Captain Jon, which is what the hostess on the 60 foot sloop on a snorkeling trip out of Bali dubbed me when I started barking out commands to the crew...but that's another story.

Jon

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

OK, Capt. Jon. Do you have a sidekick, like Rex Trailer did?

I used to watch these boats sail by daily from the window of our third floor tenement house on East Rodney French Blvd. But I was 3 years old at the time. How old must you be!!

Steve

• User
    11 years ago

JanOn, your photo at the top disappeared, do you think you could reload it here direct from your computer? That way, it won't disappear from the GW server but always be shown. Yours is a lovely hosta. Guess I am needing a Foaming Sea fix, which hmmmmm, means, hmmmmmm.....

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Oh, pretty old. I remember when New Bedford was the Scallop Capital of the world and, I think, the largest fishing port in the US, by value. I think they stopped ferry service to NB in the 1970's and then later started it up with catermerans, dual hulls or whatever they call them.

I remember trips to Oak Bluffs from NB on the ferry, the brass ring merry-go-round which is still there. One of the highlights was throwing quarters from the side of the ship as we docked and watching as local kids would dive down for them. I haven't done this for about 4-5 years but the bike trail is a real nice take. I like to take the On Time Ferry across to Chapaquidic and go out to the Dike Bridge.

Ernie Boch (Huge car dealer as you know, Steve) used to have Lamas on the lawn of his house / mansion. Rumor was that he had a deed restriction which forbade tearing down the old house which was on the site, so he simply built his mansion around it and encapsulated it. That's what the harbor cruise guides say anyway. Ernie is dead now; Ernie Jr. took over.

• User
    11 years ago

Oops, Jonny, I made a mistake since I was thinking of Gloster and The Perfect Storm and the cruise ships in the harbor there. I haven't been to New Bedford. It just hit me, and I guess you can tell I'm not a New Englander......but a long time admirer of the seafaring traditions fostered by the coastal towns along the seaboard.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Well, that would be Gloucester where the ship sailed into The Perfect Storm.....and that would be the Charles "W" Morgan which was the last sailing ship to whale out of New Bedford. Nantucket was the center of whaling until the ships had to be bigger and bigger for the several year voyages around the globe they had to take. Nantucket did not have a deep enough harbor and New Bedford took over and was the Whaling Capital of the world until oil took over.

New Bedford passed at the chance to keep the Morgan. There is a half scale model of the Lagoda in the NB Whaling Museum. The half scale prompts many visitors to comment on how short sailors must have been 100 years ago!!! They must think people were 3 feet tall then.

{{gwi:1091147}}

We almost scheduled our class reunion next year at the museum, but it cannot hold the expected crowd. Then there is the USS Constitution in Boston Harbor, the oldest commissioned ship in the US Navy, absolutely spectacular.

Apologies to those who may have thought this thread was about hostas.

Jon

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here it is again. I have no idea how it got deleted - nothing I did on purpose anyway!
    Jan

• User
    11 years ago

Okay, now I can go to sleep with my security blankey in place.

• brpbsp
    11 years ago

Rob Canning @ robslakesidehostas@gmail.com might still have this plant available.