Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zkathy

Halcyon or Mississippi Delta

zkathy z7a NC
10 years ago

This is pretty embarrassing. I got several bare root hostas from Hallson's, put four big ones in a bucket to soak, planted the Niagara Falls, dug the hole for the Mississippi Delta, planted it and then realized I may have planted the wrong one. I snagged a Halcyon because it was on sale, but it really looks like the MD. The one not planted yet has purple spots on the petioles. Did I plant the Halcyon since it looks so blue in the picture?

Comments (16)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

It looks to me that yes, 'Halcyon' is the planted one. I say that because even as an immature plant, 'Mississippi Delta' often already has developed the slightly rippled edges I see in your pic. And the planted hosta in your pic has that pretty blue color. Anyway, that's my guess. I'm not very experienced, so if someone more learned comes along and corrects me, I won't take it personally. : )

Cheers,
    Don B.

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Hi Kathy,

Yes, Halcyon is the one in the ground and Mississippi Delta the one not planted yet. The Halcyon is stretching out a bit from being in the shade and I had to take a couple of the leaves off Mississippi Delta that had already turned completely yellow or it would have appeared larger.

Chris

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Halcyon upside down cake?

jk

Dave

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Here's the picture uprighted.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Halcyon is blue and medium sized. Missisppi Delta is green, large and has roundish leaves that look like a river delta. Hence the name. It looks to me like you have Halcyon in the ground. Chris will know. Email him.

Here's my MD.

This post was edited by steve_mass on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 19:29

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I agree. I moved Halcyon to a new hole by the path and Mississippi Delta into the hole visible from my party deck. Everybody is happy. I remember thinking how muscular the roots where on MD when I first unpacked it.
    Kathy

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

a good example of the quality of plant you get from this garden center!

hh

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That's for sure, HH. Always great plants from Hallson Gardens.

Don B.

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

Mississippi Delta

Mississippi Delta in the ground

Halcyon this spring

Not a fast grower for me.

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was such a pleasant experience. When I pulled those two big hostas out of the bucket, they looked pretty much the same to me. I did some web searching, made my choice and planted one. I almost immediately started doubting my decision, took the picture, posted, and went outside and started digging another hole. I came inside,read Don B.'s reply and could then clearly see the differences. Chris' explanation was enlightening. Steve_mass your MD is beautiful! How old is it?

Thank you all for your generous sharing of your time.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Halcyon is on my list of slo-pokes, but hey, June et.al. comes from there, so no whining...

hh

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Halcyon is on my list of slo-pokes, but hey, June et.al. comes from there, so no whining...

hh

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Zkathy, 'Mississippi Delta' is a hosta I acquired this spring, and one I am REALLY looking forward to raising to maturity. It'll be a biggie : ) I added a link for a couple more pics and a little more information about 'Mississippi Delta'. From 'The Hosta Helper' that is part of the website PlantsGalore.com...

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info/Pics pertaining to 'Mississippi Delta'

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Those 6/13 and 7/13 pictures of Halcyon show it to be planted too deep to my eyes. That may be why it's slow growing for you. It's hard to tell with all that mulch around it, but you should pull the mulch back anyway and check to be sure it's not planted too deep. As a three year old plant, Halcyon is pretty much fully mature in my garden.

Steve

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Halcyon has grown vigorously here. Even after it was obliterated by a back hoe. Each of the found pieces grew from a small, one or two eyed "plant" into a sizeable clump 3-4 years later.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Zkathy, some very healthy plants you have there!

Steve n Harry....love your gorgeous Halcyon....my sport off of June (aka Halcyon2 in my garden) is sure going to make me happy next year. Harryshoe, each time I see that beautiful powdery blue of yours, I catch my breath! The geranium companion sure compliments it. :-)

Jo