Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madplanter1

What did well this year?

MadPlanter1 zone 5
10 years ago

Since we're complaining about our duds, it's only fair to give the super stars equal time. Did you have something that really made you happy?

A pat on the head to Frances Williams, who made it into fall without dessication. Another to Thunderbolt, which leaped in size and caught up to Dream Queen. Thank you, Aphrodite, for blooming after I divided you. NBC has gotten enormous.

Comments (16)

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Grape Fizz and Ginsu Knife exploded in year 2.These photos were taken mid-season.

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 18:58

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Ginsu Knife

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Big Daddy' made me happy. So did both my 'Paul's Glory', several fragrants I bought from Hallson Gardens last year, most notably 'Fried Bananas', and 'Prairie Sky' grew a LOT. 'Spartacus' and 'Guardian Angel', too.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Spring Fling' made me happy!

Don B.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Lakeside Shore Master, Guardian Angel, Deja Blu, Kiwi Full Monty and Tokoduma Flavocircinalis, all new last year, have blown me away with how much they have grown this summer. With the second flush, they have all at least tripled in size.

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

Dream Queen was on her last legs and ready to be chucked until I put her in a pot and she took off. Very glad I gave her a chance in a pot cuz I bought 2 at the time and one never came back and this one went down to 2 leaves. Potted her in miracle grow soil and WOW she was lovin it.

Dream Weaver just blew me away this year. The cupping on a couple of leaves is beautiful. I have it in a sheltered space and I want to move it to a focal point but it so happy here that I dare not do it.

Sagae just leaped this year

Picture of Sagae and Dream Weaver together

On Stage finally showed me why I bought her

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Grape Fizz is gorgeous, so bright and healthy looking.

That Dream Weaver sure looks like a couple of my NOIDs. One was labeled Great Expectations, one Inniswood, both from a nursery I've learned to avoid. They have beautiful plants, but I swear they just shove in whatever label is handy.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

This is Awakening Angel in early season of year 2. It maintained its beautiful turquoise color throughout most of the summer and had a second flush of blooms in July.

Looking forward to On Stage next year!

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 16:39

• User
    10 years ago

Love my greenies, and the plantagineas of course. Those seem to have done well.

The lanceolate shaped leaves did okay, especially the 2 Purple Lady Fingers potted separately. So did The Razor's Edge, which even set seed. And, Pineapple Upsidedown Cake is bleached out from sun but all the leaves are doing fine. And, then Lemon Lime and Twist of Lime, wonderful greenie yellow still. And then Maui Buttercups looked PERFECT for a long time, but got some burn late in August.

My favorites this year though were the golds. I believe every gold I have looked fantastic--even without the yella umbrella hovering over them. I don't think I can say NO to a gold hosta.

Then more good performers were Summer Music, Fragrant Fire, Victory, Sagae, Liberty, Paradise Sunshine, Diana Remembered, White Knight, Avocado, Fragrant King, Cathedral Windows, Paradise Island, Holly's Dazzler, Jade Stone, Inniswood, Satisfaction, Alex Summers, Sweet Standard, Mariachi (big surprise), Frozen Margarita, Banana Muffins, White Dove, Verna Jean.......let me get my breath!

I am in awe of what these hosta did for me this spring and summer. Never have I enjoyed a garden so much as I have this hosta garden. It is a big surprise just being here.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Most of the usual suspects have done well. The new dog mangled most of the young ones last year, so most of mine are either new or old. Few are in ideal spots, as I'm not sure Cleo is past her fascination with hosta. Several got too much sun, some were too close together, and all are growing in Texas heat, so they don't look their best this year.

Still, two new ones I've been impressed with, even in less than ideal spots are Paul's Glory and Niagara Falls. Paul's Glory suffered a broken limb right in the middle of it in June and it recovered nicely. Niagara Falls has grown remarkably well for a first year plant.

bk

Paul's Glory about 2 weeks ago

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Moc - Catch your breath! You certainly have acquired an impressive number of hostas in your two years of collecting. Its wonderful to see that they have given you so much pleasure; and your knowledge is formidable and imparted to all of us in good measure.

DD

• User
    10 years ago

Oh, Donna! (wouldn't that make a nice song? )

I don't have formidable knowledge about much, certainly not about hosta. You've grown and known hosta for a lot longer than I have.....but I thank you.....

Yes, given me much pleasure. Best thing I've done in a long time, following hosta into a whole new aspect of gardening. This forum sure gives a lot of help besides enabling us. if not an answer here, then pointed to the right place. Exciting.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Love 'Paul's Glory'! Yours is sportin' a 'Texas Hosta Tan' Bkay : ) This is one of two, and this is the one that gets the most sun. One of my favorite hostas.

Don B.

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

I used to call it the big hosta, now I know it's Frances Williams. I hope next year is as kind to my new hostas.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That's a beautiful 'Frances Williams', Zkathy. Nice work! You can still call it 'the big hosta'...It looks huge.

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Has to be Blazing Saddles,but my Sagae did well too. Here is a pic of Blazing Saddles,which is easily twice as big as last year,its first year in the in the garden. Phil