Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Installing edging for new flowerbed

donrawson
10 years ago

I'm currently making a new flowerbed in the front yard and here's the process I use for the edging...

First, I dig a trench all the way around to install a root barrier. (That is the hardest step of the process.) I do it to discourage the tree roots from invading the flowerbed. In this case, I dug a trench about 34 inches deep and lined it with a conveyor belt.

Secondly, I take a piece of professional-grade black plastic edging and rivet it to the conveyor belt and build a concrete form out of 1/4 inch hardboard. This allows me to pour concrete up to the edging.

Then I mix and pour the concrete (about 6 inches wide x 5 inches deep, and 98 feet long). It takes many loads of concrete to fill this size form.

Last of all, I remove the form and make sure I have a good depth of rich topsoil in the flowerbed for the hostas and other companion plants. I will post a pic next summer when I have it all planted.

Comments (24)

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Wow, that is one SERIOUS edge. A lot of work, but you're probably never going to have to make repairs. Sun or shade?

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Wow, this is heavy construction and the best I have ever seen in edge design. No roots will ever come in, no spinout bags and digging for them will ever be required, and you have a great mowing edge!!! Bernd

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

Nice, if I had the energy and money that would be great!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow, another couple inches and it would shield against a nuclear explosion. Fantastic job.

Don B.

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

I can only echo, WOW. Nice job. Love the shape. Can't wait to see that bed filled up with plants.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

HOLY CONCRETE BORDER, BATMAN!

That's impressive.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

Another WOW! "I dug a trench about 34 inches deep" ....It must be nice to have the muscle, and the ingenuity... a conveyer belt? I never would have thought of anything like that.... and the ambition, "many loads of concrete." ....How long did this all take you?

It's going to look AMAZING when the plants are in.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

WOW! That is one impressive edging for a one-of-kind garden bed. It will be beautiful when planted. Love the shape and sheer size of it. Can hardly wait to see hosta in there! :)

Don, i was wondering how you addressed the issue of expansion due to elements over time? We poured a driveway once and I recall we had to cut sections for 'expansion' because of the mass. I would imagine its width and depth would dictate that? I know nothing really about concrete and am just curious is all...like to learn something new from someone who would obviously know.

Really remarkable project!

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Wow, that is a monumental amount of work. Makes my back ache just to see it. Very ingenious use of materials. Can hardly wait to see it planted.

Can you imagine what my co-op manager would say if I poured a concrete wall like that? They'd have to take him to the ER!

• donrawson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All of my gardens in the front yard have this same concrete w/vinyl edging around them. It has been very durable and is great for mowing around the flowerbeds.

Someone asked, "I was wondering how you addressed the issue of expansion due to elements over time." The concrete strip has held up very well against the weather and frost. I think this is because I prepare a good base by digging a deep trench and filling it with coarse sand before I pour the cement. And I install a crack control strip every 4 feet. I have not had any breaks in the concrete strip except for very minor ones at the crack control joints, and even those are almost undetectable.

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

::Applause::

Truly inspirational, Don.

Afraid I can't wax eloquent anymore than what has already been said.

Best,
    Ludi

• User
    10 years ago

Hey hey, that is a wonderful job. I see in your last photo the source of your energy, probably with a trencher attached to your tractor or whatever that yellow looking Caterpillar looking thingy is? You do your work SMARTly, Don.

Do you routinely have access to a conveyor belt that is 98 feet around? Did it become part of the edging, or was it part of the form? That took some heavy equipment to move it I betcha. You are a real pro.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

I'm in awe. Feel like a road trip? Can you come to my house? I have beer lol.
    Jan

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Great job and wonderful way to control weeds or grass creeping in to your well tended beds. Three or four cheers to you too. It looks wonderful. My husband put in footing for a 40 ft wall on our shed last week and it probably took around the same amount of cement(10 bags plus the gravel) . It took him all day just mixing cement , not to speak of the prep work..I really doubt if I could talk him into doing my hosta beds but can dream.

Beautiful yard you have Don

Esther that would sure control the maintanance guys from tearing up yourgarden area. lol

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Jan ... I have beer ... HA, I love it :)

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

I don't have beer ... however.. I do have ... oh, never mind

Job well don....(silent e)

ÃÂ. ÃÂ --~

dave

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Great job,Don! You must be a lot younger than I am! Lol! My back aches from just looking at it! Hope it is more pleasurable planting it,than building it. Phil

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

I was looking for a Ditch Witch of the back of that yellow cat ;-h

now I have a better idea about why you are so slim!

can I come for a live visit if I *bring* beer?

your up-north hillbilly neighbor

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Thanks, Don...my question was driven by the fact that I didn't see any lines in your free form which drove my curiosity...the sleek, long line is beautiful. These free flowing beds are so attractive...I love your colour design and placement of your hosta..the repetition of the mounding habit of your hosta is very soothing to the eye.....curves in themselves are softer....so nice to have so many ideas to borrow from. I really like what you've done here, so much. It's so innovative.

Congratulations and thank you again.
    Jo

• donrawson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all are invited over... We'll grille out and have a real blast!

The bucket loader out there doesn't have a trencher attachment...so I have to dig the trench by hand. That's what makes it the hardest part of the process.

I have several rolls of conveyor belts (remnants) which I picked up from a local company which manufactures it. Some rolls are nearly 200 ft. long. It has come in very handy over the years.

The conveyor belt is placed in the trench for a root barrier....and then the trench is back-filled. The lawn edging is attached (riveted and screwed) to the conveyor belt. (Actually, I rivet the lawn edging onto the conveyor belt before I place it in the trench.) The conveyor belt (with the lawn edging attached) becomes the inside wall of the form. I make the outer perimeter of the form out of 1/4 inch tempered hardboard (Masonite). The Masonite bends easily and works well for this purpose.

I mix the concrete and pour it in. Then I install the crack control before the concrete sets up.

I will take a few more pics next week when I install the lawn edging around a tree in my front yard.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Very awesome looking. I work maintenance and conveyor belting is not cheap. Have a beer and rest a little while. Enjoy planting. Paula

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Don, are your hosta that are in the last pic growing in full sun, or do you have some giant trees out of camera view? Just curious...

Thanks,
    Don B.

• jel48
    10 years ago

Wow, I'm impressed. Can't help thinking though, that I'd hate to be the guy that buys that property many years down the road.... who turns out not to want garden beds and tries to rip out the edging! Man is he in for a surprise!! :-)

• donrawson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Don, many of my hostas are grown in full sun, which has advantages and disadvantages. It will be many years before most of my gardens are shaded by trees.

jel48, you're absolutely right! Whoever buys my house when I die is going to have to enjoy gardening, hostas, and lots of rocks!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz