Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahosta

Great Expectations progression

hostahosta
10 years ago

Yes, I bought these at Lowe's. I can only plead ignorance. This was several years ago. I bought three and have moved each one at least twice. Separated them and finally moved tham all back together this year, but in a differenct location. All in efforts to find their happy place.

This is when they were new in 2010. Had no idea what I was buying, except they looked pretty.

Comments (14)

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In 2012, looking pretty good, but I realized their potential size and thought I had them too closely spaced. Moved all 3 to separate locations after this pic.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In their separate locations through 2012, they did not put on much size. Of course I shouldn't have expected it in only their second year. But, they all faced root competition in their spots, so in early 2013 I moved them all again, to what I hope is their permanent home. They did put on size this year, and I hope I can leave them alone now!

A lot of people say GE is difficult, I'm happy with mine so far.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    10 years ago

They look beautiful - especially considering they have been moved so many times.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

you may be the only person on the planet who has moved great expectations and had it live!

hh

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Great looking GE's! I've moved mine in the past as well (do that with hosta a lot) and it's still here :-)
    Until I read it on the forum, I had no idea it was difficult to grow for some people.
    HH...they look robust and beautiful. Will always be one of my favourites.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Looking good. Hey, fast-growing, slow-growing, with GE the key word is 'growing', right? I have one that I bought at Lowe's too...It's (so far) the most vigorous grower of the 3 GE's I currently have. The roots on it were literally almost 4' long when I untangled them for in-earth planting.

Don B.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Nice to hear they can be moved and sometimes survive. This one seems to be in a happy spot, but it's going to outgrow the bed in a couple years. Yours have sure put on size in a few years, very nice looking plants!

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MadPlanter1: your GE is beautiful. It will certainly need to be moved unless you can let it spill over onto adjacent areas. Looks like maybe a patio behind it?

I am a sucker for the multi colored varigation in the center of this hosta.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

HH, GE is in a tiny raised bed that's part of a landing. It has a concrete pad on one side and landscape timbers on the other three. It's part of a series of four beds intended for mini hostas, but the lighting was so perfect for GE I put there. I didn't realize it was going to get so big!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

MadPlanter, yours is really nice, I love that the center color has a banana-yellow shade to it. To me, that is a perfect center color for GE. Excellent placement for beautiful variegation.

Don B.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MadPlanter, sounds like you will have to move it. I would do it sooner than later. Easier to move when it is smaller. I really didn't notice much impact when i moved mine. Be sure to take a good huge amount of soil around the roots in order to disturb it as little as possible.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

GE can be moved to another location,and maybe they don't like being moved,but mine is doing well for the last two years. True,they are slow growing,but worth it. Phil

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I did not move any of my 4 GE, but they are good growers for me in different places. They are much better than 'Earth Angel' which are not doing anything except dwindling in different places in my yard. FWIW. Bernd

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

Love to see these beautiful pictures of GE, Mad planter and Hostahosta. Mine grows really fast, similar rate as Patriot, planted in the same location. Started in Oct 2011 as a tiny plant rescued from the end of season sale. This picture was taken late May this year. The center color has lightened up a lot through the summer due to the sun (all morning to ~ 1 pm). But GE has been a fast grower and trouble free (no slugs) hosta for me.