Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One Man's Treasure

Posted by Jan.ON 5b/6 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 18:29

.....won the Benedict Award in 2008.....I don't know what that entails, but some other winners have been June, Sagae, Blue Mouse Ears, Whirlwind, and Gold Standard, so it has impressive company.
I don't remember it being discussed much here - anyone grow it?
Hosta Library shows lovely long red speckled petioles with the red extending a bit into the leaf blade. Pretty.
Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One Man's Treasure

the story behind its name is a fun one

Here is a link that might be useful: Brief rendition of why it has its name:

This post was edited by hostahillbilly on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 18:10

o

I have OMT. Second season in my garden. Small/medium open mound of dark green leaves with red petioles. The red does go up into the leaf. Purple flowers on dark red scapes late in the season are very pretty. Needs to be seen up close to be appreciated.

o

pretty plain except the red pets

o

leaf Base close up

o

I saw the best One Man's Treasure at Harbor Lane Garden's but alas, I didn't take a picture. If Jim is around, he may have a picture. I would not call it plane. The clump has very nice form, slight wavyness (body?) but other wise round and full. The leaves are shiny dark almost emerald green. (Its all in the eye of the beholder...) Its the parent of many nice plants like Tickle Me Pink shown here.

Beverly

o

mine almost seems to prefer damp feet, I have moved it several times. love the scapes

sorry, no pix now ... mebbe later

˘.˘ --~

dave

o

I'm a fan but then I love the greens.

What is the story of the name HH?

Here are a few pictures of One Man's Treasure in my garden.

One Mans Treasure 5-16-12 (34)

6-13-13 (160)

One Mans Treasure 10-17-11

o

'Avocado' and 'One Man's Treasure' are blooming, so I just dabbed pollen from OMT on Avocado, should look great with red legs. Bernd.

o

My One Man's Treasure came from Hallson last year. It looked like this in May 2013, and that is ground cayenne pepper on it.
DSCN7775

Then in September it was blooming. However, just after this, I repotted it because the pot had water standing and it was not a happy camper. The color of the flowers is washed out by the tablet camera, sorry not a good color pic.
IMG_20130904_173252.jpg

It has a very dark leaf, true enough.

o

4 mctav - c link below

Here is a link that might be useful: brief version of how it got it's name

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here