Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

H. 'City Lights'

don_in_colorado
9 years ago

Good? Bad? Meh? Any experiences from the forum about this one would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don B.

Comments (25)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Aden... Gold leaved sieboldiana....does that make it another Florence Shaw plant?

bk

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point, BKay. In that case, it's probably pretty decent. She sure made some nice ones.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 20:42

• Lee
    9 years ago

Don.. This is mine from early July... Its a very pretty bright hosta.

This post was edited by melati on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 20:56

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Melati that is a gorgeous hosta! Love that bright color and texture. Adding another to the list.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Melati, what does it look like now?

We know it goes to green. The question is how pretty is the green?

bk

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooooooh, NICE ONE. Thanks for the pic, Melati. I was just given a small one the other day. Looks like it's gonna be a great plant someday!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

double post

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 21:28

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

He could come up with some great names, could he not? Beats the heck out of "Birchwood Johnnies Gold Hosta".

bk

• Lee
    9 years ago

Thanks...bkay..will take a pic tomorrow.. hope its still holding its color... hope no frost tonight.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For me, even if it turns green, the form and texture will still be fantastic. : )

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I think you are wrong about it going green. It is supposed to go more gold,from what I've read. I never saw mine past the April freeze,but it did look good before that. Phil

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Just planted my City Lights last year so I think I will reserve judgement on growth rate until 2015. However, I am loving the bright green colour and it didn't seem to be bothered by slugs much. Yes, this is a keeper.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

It is a beauty. Too bad it's a large. I'm going for smaller hosta these days.

I regularly reverse lutesence and viridescent in my head. This one turns yellow, not green.

bk

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

This is my 2nd year one.It really brightens up this corner.I think there is probably a lot of root competition going on.It's also trying to sport I guess.

• Lee
    9 years ago

bk.. this is how it looks today..

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Really nice hosta. It looks as if it kept close to the same color until it went dormant (???)

Jon

• dhaven
    9 years ago

I don't have this one yet, but have seen it on a garden tour locally, and it's spectacular. It was planted in a fairly shady area, and it just lit up the whole bed. I would call it an extra large or giant rather than a large--this plant was at least 30 inches tall and 5-6 feet across.

• drc215
    9 years ago

"Birchwood Johnnies Gold..."

sounds more like a name given to a prize winning bull

:)

City Lights is beautiful!

• Lee
    9 years ago

Yes Jon.. from beautiful bright apple green to bright gold.. mine gets a cpl hours of mid day sun and about 24x48"

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Hi Don, City Lights is one of my favorites for a gold later in the season. I have had mine a couple of years now and I really like it. Mine becomes more yellow as the season progresses and takes quite a bit of sun here in Utah without burning.

I can't wait for mine to get bigger. Here is a picture of it mid summer this year. It is the yellow one in the center of the picture.

Linda

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Here is another picture earlier in the spring...it is much more green earlier in the year and ends up a nice gold.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

This is the most recent picture I have. I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

Linda

• gardencool
    9 years ago

Wow, Linda! That is a beautiful plant in a beautiful garden.
    Just bought a City Lights today (half price - end of season sale). Thanks for sharing the photos, Linda.

Words of gardening foolery:
    Gardening isn't a competition.
    Where others might be envious, I only see joy in other people's gardens.

• gardencool
    9 years ago

Wow, Linda! That is a beautiful plant in a beautiful garden.
    Just bought a City Lights today (half price - end of season sale). Thanks for sharing the photos, Linda.

Words of gardening foolery:
    Gardening isn't a competition.
    Where others might be envious, I only see joy in other people's gardens.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pics. Looks fantastic, I'm sure I'll love it.

Don B.